PDA

View Full Version : 44 stubby

BCgunworks
09-14-2015, 07:50 AM

Picked up this 44 mag boomer. Man it's a blast to shoot. Great accuracy considering the short sight radius.

Many know of the long barreled wheel guns I like to hunt with but my true passion is close range stubbies in the brush for hogs and deer.

Keeping this thing on an 8" plate without issue to 50 yards.

Running a 240 LSwc. Running 44 special speeds with magnum brass.

I have changed to grips to a full size round butt.

I can't wait to thump some meat with this thing.

historicfirearms
09-14-2015, 08:16 AM
I had one for a while. Nice gun but those grips made me blead after twelve rounds. It split my hide open in that skin between the base of my thumb and base of my pointer finger. I sold it after shooting it over my chronograph and seeing the velocities I was getting.

BCgunworks
09-14-2015, 08:19 AM
As stated. I changed the grips.

I I know a 3" isn't screaming performance.

Hickory
09-14-2015, 08:34 AM
I had one for a while. Nice gun but those grips made me blead after twelve rounds. It split my hide open in that skin between the base of my thumb and base of my pointer finger. I sold it after shooting it over my chronograph and seeing the velocities I was getting.
You should try shooting a S&W 329 with max loads and 320 gr. boolits.

BCgunworks
09-14-2015, 08:34 AM

Here are the grips I changed to

BCgunworks
09-14-2015, 08:50 AM
In my opinion. A gun like this you don't shoot 200 rounds thru in a day. 25-50 would be it. That seems to cut down on the blood loss

stu1ritter
09-14-2015, 09:47 PM
I much prefer a 4" barrel and some grips that will absorb recoil.
Stu
http://tinyurl.com/pymh4j6

Lloyd Smale
09-15-2015, 06:50 AM
I had a beautiful 3 inch 29. I loved the gun but it didn't shoot for hoot. If it would just have shot like my 3 inch 610 it would have probably been wore out because it would have been carried every day.

bobthenailer
09-15-2015, 08:25 AM
I have a 3" 629 carry classic ,I have Hogue rubber grips , for me recoil is no problem with full loads for about 25 rounds , but I usually ony shoot 200gr cast boolets at 900 fps . with 2 or 3 full loads at the end of every shooting session.
I narrowed the front sight to .100 from .125, now I have more light on the sides of the rear sight
This handgun has ,433 chamber throats so I use .433 dia cast bullets to get the accuracy on par with my other S&W 44mags that use .430 dia cast boolets.

I guess I like snubies/stubby's as I also have a S&W 66 2.5 barrel and a J frame 360 PD 357 mag a 11 oz gun with replacement Hogue grips the small factory boot grips are very unpleasant to shoot even with +P 38's , not bad with the full size Hogue grips with +P 38 & short barrel 357 mag ammo, but still harder on the hand than the 3" 629, with full loads.

Blackwater
09-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Great gun, and most don't realize what CAN be done with a snubby. Along these lines, I just HAVE to relate a lil' story from a friend who's long been one of, if not THE best shot in my little segment of the world. He grew up making every shot count, and was a quick study in how to do that. He was also possessed of near miraculous eyesight, and the knowledge of how best to use all those qualities, and the drive to do so.

Well, one day he and a good friend of rather limited intellect were bass fishing, and they were biting really good, so they tarried a bit long, and dark was falling. Suddenly, a pair of wood ducks came in, calling as they are wont to do, and the buddy said to my friend Jimmie "Take that lead bird out, Jimmie!" Jimmie used to play in a little country band, and had occasion to carry some sort of little gun at all times. He was carrying a little .25 auto that day that he'd proven would function, but was no great shakes on accuracy, so he reached into his shirt pocket and just pointed it ahead of the pair of ducks and let fly. The lead bird folded up and the rear bird flared off, and the lead bird hit the water like a 15 lb. bass! Jimmie never said a word, and his little buddy said, "Why'd you let the other one go? I've got a big family to feed, ya' know?" And he was SERIOUS, too!!! Such was my friend Jimmie's reputation! Hope y'all got a good laugh out of that one.

Lloyd Smale
09-16-2015, 06:03 AM
ive got kind of a similar story. My brother in law and nephews think im about as good as wild bill cody. I tell them over and over that im probably in reality a poor pistol shot but one night I had a freak thing happen and now they run around telling the world im a pistol majician. One of my nephews wounded a small buck one evening. The brother in law, him and I took off in the dark looking for it. We found blood and were following a pretty slim blood trail. My brother in law with a big light and me with one of my 500 linebaughs. We had been out following it for about a half an hour when the brother in law shinned the light on it at a bout 70 yards. It jumped out of its bed and started to run and I drew my 500 and just kind of point shooted and shot the deer right in the neck. It dropped on the spot. I got real quiet and they just stared at me slack jawed. I tried over and over to tell them it was nothing but a VERY lucky shot but I think they told everyone in a 100 mile area about that shot. Hands down the luckiest shot ive ever made and if I tried it a 100 more times I doubt id even hit the deer let along hit it in the neck and drop it.

DeputyDog25
09-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Very nice looking pistol, good pick up

Der Gebirgsjager
09-16-2015, 12:26 PM
That is a nice looking revolver, and I like the new grips. I guess I've got my own hand cannon--a 3 inch barrel ported 629. It came with rubber grips, and was a Lew Horton special. I used to live in a very rural location and one day a neighbor called and said that he'd seen a mountain lion in my top pasture on two different occasions. Since I walked past there every day to the mailbox it seemed like a great excuse to buy a new gun. "What better," I thought, "than a compact .44 Mag.?" So I ordered it and packed it for a couple of weeks. Then three friends and I went shooting and I tried it out. Porting or not, it recoiled so high and hard that I almost lost my grip on it. And the concussion felt like an impending nose bleed. I fired a second shot just to confirm what I had experienced, and then handed it to a buddy. He fired it one shot and handed it off to the next guy. When I got it back it still had one unfired round in the cylinder. It was early afternoon but the fireball was amazing. I took it home, cleaned it, and put it back it it's box with a label that reads "The Beast", and it's been sitting in the dark for about 13-14 years. The only other handgun experience I can remember that was that bad was a 7 1/2 inch Ruger .30 Carbine Blackhawk firing WW II G.I. ammo. I sold that one! I started carrying my .30-30 to the mailbox!

Duckiller
09-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Lloyd did you just post that you shoot deer at night with a light. Don't think MI DNR would approve of such behaviour even if you are recovering a wounded animal. I understand that yooper rules are different but isn't that close to jacklighting? How are the wolves treating the deer in your area?

John Allen
09-17-2015, 04:38 PM
I have a 629 snubby myself. It is a fun gun.

opos
09-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Just an old man that doesn't have the 'stones" for a snub 44 mag any more...too much arthritis and too much racket and flash...used to love them...maybe that's why I'm deaf.

fivegunner
09-17-2015, 05:12 PM
I shot with Lloyd, And let me tell you all that He can shoot very very well . :Fire::Fire::bigsmyl2:

tigweldit
09-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Lloyd, It doesn't matter that you could never make that shot again. You made it that one time, with a witness. Hail to the King.

Petrol & Powder
09-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Using a light to assist in killing deer is permissible in some circumstances, such as under the authority of a kill permit (a permit issued for culling the deer herd when that is needed to reduce destruction of crops/property). I don't know Michigan law but using a light isn't always illegal in every circumstance.

nockhunter
09-18-2015, 01:49 AM
I love those little BOOMERS! They are hard to come by, or real expensive. I carry a .44 spec Taurus, it can be a handful with above standard loads.

Mike

shorty500M
09-18-2015, 05:18 PM
This lil m29 Bounty Hunter series is just an unreal lil shooter! I actually prefer it over my mountain gun, m329pd and old 5screw pre-model number 4inchers. they all shoot about the same from rest but this one is my belt carry/offhand favorite. Its posing here in front of my 1st .44 mag an old pre-endurance package m629 from '87. lol, according to all the "experts" that old gun should have either blown up years ago or at least made 20 or so trips to the factory by now!

Lloyd Smale
09-19-2015, 07:52 AM
probably true but a guys going to either be a perfect citizen and let an animal suffer or take the chance. Buddy just showed me a pic on his phone of a wolf that was in his bear bait 30 yards from his bow stand two days ago eating corn!
Lloyd did you just post that you shoot deer at night with a light. Don't think MI DNR would approve of such behaviour even if you are recovering a wounded animal. I understand that yooper rules are different but isn't that close to jacklighting? How are the wolves treating the deer in your area?

historicfirearms
09-19-2015, 10:26 AM
You did the right thing Lloyd. A perfect citizen would not let that animal suffer. We don't have to ask for permission to do the right thing.

EDK
09-22-2015, 09:43 PM
Several years ago I stumbled into an Original Size RUGER VAQUERO 44 magnum cut to 3.5 inches and magna-ported. I added a SUPER BLACK HAWK hammer and square back DRAGOON grip frame. The porting made it illegal for Cowboy Action shooting. BUT it sure is fun to play with.