PDA

View Full Version : MARLIN 336/30-30 poor shooter update.

Willyp
09-14-2015, 06:13 AM
On the first of this month i ask what could have made this Marlin go from a very good shooter to a scatter gun?
I read everything posted,here and anywhere else i could find information on this gun? I did a few things,all at once. I brass bolt and grinding compounded the barrel crown!I read about the fore end being to tight and the magizine tube to tight also?
The ring that holds the wood fore stock on was so tight i could not get it to slide off of the offset that it slid over to hold it on to the barrel. It seems to have sweld up ? I got that loosened up and took some pressure off of the magizine tube screw at the front of the barrel.
I removed the lever and pulled the bolt out and used ISSO bore scrubber on the barrel!I scurbed it till i thought my arm would cramp up[ i am kind of old]!
The inside of the barrel shined like the bumper on 56 Buick!!!!
Loaded up 2 different jacketed bullets that shot well before?
Something i did worked!!!!!!!!!! At 50 yards/3 5 shot groups came in at 1 1/4 inches,at 100 yards,a 3 shot group of 1 1/2 inches??? I only shot 3 rounds at 100,i ran out of ammo!!!!
Now,i have to get my son-in-law to shoot it and i will know that if it is shooting big groups that it is him and that i've done all i could???? I am happy with how it turned out. I t shoots like it did when i sold him the gun 20 years ago!!!!!

pietro
09-14-2015, 09:49 AM

I luv it, when a plan comes together............ :2_high5:

Walter Laich
09-14-2015, 04:25 PM
Doing one thing at a time will zero in on the actual cause but it sure takes a long time. You sorta used the shotgun approach and something worked!

Hey the purpose of this was to get the rifle shooting and you did that

Well done and...

need to report back on how son-in-law does

Willyp
09-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Oh yea,i can't wait to take him. His ,my grandson,can shoot the eye out of a life size deer target at 50 yards. He done it 3 shots in a row to harras his dad!!!!!!!!!!!

Char-Gar
09-14-2015, 06:48 PM
When a good shooting rifles goes south, it is normally because;

1. A loose stock screw
2. A loose sight screw
3. Metal fouling in the barrel

rintinglen
09-15-2015, 07:56 PM
When a good shooting rifles goes south, it is normally because;

1. A loose stock screw
2. A loose sight screw
3. Metal fouling in the barrel

+1. Unless you know for a fact that something bad happened (eg, snow mobile accident, gun dropped from tree stand, etc.) the above list is the place to start. The only thing I would add is that make sure the ammo is the same. I spent the best part of a week end trying to get my old Springfield to shoot, then discovered the loads I was using were not the 150 grain 4350 ones it loves, but some mixed 165-168 grainers that I had thrown together as plinkers to use up a few odds and ends on the bench.

Char-Gar
09-16-2015, 12:32 PM
+1. Unless you know for a fact that something bad happened (eg, snow mobile accident, gun dropped from tree stand, etc.) the above list is the place to start. The only thing I would add is that make sure the ammo is the same. I spent the best part of a week end trying to get my old Springfield to shoot, then discovered the loads I was using were not the 150 grain 4350 ones it loves, but some mixed 165-168 grainers that I had thrown together as plinkers to use up a few odds and ends on the bench.

Yes, using junk ammo or driving over the rifle with your truck will also do a number on accuracy. But, folks are suppose to be able to figure that out without internet board help. If they can't, they probably should not be allowed to shoot a rifle without adult supervision.