PDA

View Full Version : swaging lube experiment

Danth
09-13-2015, 07:15 PM
I was sizing some 300 Savage cases tonight and was having a tough time. I've been using RCBS lube for a long time and always found it satisfactory. Tonight I ended up pulling the rim right off a case. Had some Hornady case lube handy and found it no better. I tried my swaging lube, 50/50 Lanolin-Castor oil and presto, sizing was a breeze. Even when there was so little on my fingers I wondered if any were present, it still worked great. Anyone else have a similar experience?

pertnear
09-13-2015, 07:22 PM
I haven't tried that, but I'll give it a try now that you mentioned it. I switched long ago to Imperial Die Wax & I've been very happy with it. Come to think of it, they both seem very similar!

BT Sniper
09-14-2015, 12:28 AM
Swage lube is all I use for all my reloading needs. Results just like yours, works perfect!

Sasquatch-1
09-14-2015, 06:38 AM
After sizing you may want to clean with some mineral spirits. I have used swaging lube in the past and found it doesn't always come off in the tumbler.

runfiverun
09-14-2015, 10:04 AM
and woe to anybody that tries to remove lanolin based lubes in a pin tumbler..
I too use my mix of lanolin and castor oil and neets foot oil for case sizing, since I'm making it I make enough to use it for everything.
I mix it with bees-wax to make black powder lube too.