PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

xjarhead1999
09-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Hello all, I've been lurking around off and on for a few years. Finally decided to jump in and join. I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction. It seems the more I try to read the more I get lost.
First, my goals and situation.
I'm just looking to start casting in order to save a little and to learn some.
I'm not trying to make match grade rounds. I will be just making some rounds to plink with and target shoot.
I have been reading up on swaging and may try that.
Powdercoat is something else I may toy with.
Calibers I'll eventually cast would probably be mostly in the .30-40 range. Pistol mainly but some rifle.
Range scrap is about the only source of lead I have. I try to pick up 20-25lbs every time I go to the range. Mostly the bigger rounds that I can grab from the berm. Most of them are jacketed but I have found a few cast and big lead chunks. I know I would have a mystery mix of alloy but its about my only option.
Wheel weights around here are impossible to get. I get a quick NO before I can finish asking.
Now for my questions.
Considering the goals I have, should the range scrap be good enough?
Or do I need to track down another lead source to supplement it with?

Thanks for any advice.

bangerjim
09-13-2015, 05:47 PM
A lot of people shoot range scrap. Kinda an unknown hardness. I prefer to start with raw materials (Pb, Sn, Sb) and mix the alloy(s) I want. I get them all from my local scrap yards.

I cast 223-45 cal in pistols and rifles. 9-12Bhn + PC for subsonic. 14-15 for rifles then PC all of them for no leading and no smoke. GC's where needed for velocity.

You can get pretty much all you need alloy-wise on this great site from the S&S section. Good trustworthy people. OR they would be G_O_N_E!

Acquire the Lyman Cast Bullet and the Lee books for load data.

Most important thing: just get out there and do it. Do not spend lots of time reading and getting confused. You will learn REAL fast what works for you and what does not by just doing it. I leaned without reading anything on the net!!!!! Just observe the common safety rules for molten metals!

It really helps to put your location in your profile because some of us may be close to you and can help! I do not understand why so many leave that out?????????

Once you get your ducks in a row, talk to me about PC'ing! Don't try too many things at once. Fix only one thing at a time.

Good luck and welcome........now, don't 'ya wish you had signed up a long time ago??????????? :drinks:

xjarhead1999
09-13-2015, 06:07 PM
I added my location. Middle Tn. I just had to go figure out where to add it at. It was right in front of me but just not obvious for some reason.
I had considered just buying the items to make my alloys but it seemed that in the end it would cost about the same or higher than just ordering bullets.
I might be able to get lead from one scrapyard fairly close. I say might because they don't generally sell to the public. A friend is in good with them and he is going to talk to them.
The only other scrapyard close I know I can't buy it from. The only thing they sell is new steel and they have an area of good scrap steel you can buy.
Seems like around here the scrapyard mostly deal with copper, steel, aluminum, and cars. Ihave never seen a price list for buying or selling that lists lead.

Yodogsandman
09-13-2015, 06:08 PM
Welcome xjarhead1999! Your range scrap will be fine. Maybe you could use a little tin to mix in but, range scrap will be fine for most of your needs. Cast em up and shoot em out. Pick em up and make some more. Sounds like a great circle to be in! Air cool them for lesser velocities like pistol and water drop them for higher velocity stuff like rifle shooting.

LAGS
09-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Go to an auto salvage or Towing yard and see if they will let you scrounge for Wheel Weights.
They sell used parts, why not the weights on wheels that ain't going down the road any time soon.
They are looking to make a buck any way they can.

lightman
09-13-2015, 09:37 PM
Range scrap usually makes good bullets. If your bullets don't fill out you could try adding a little tin. This could be in the form of solder.

RogerDat
09-18-2015, 11:39 AM
One mold, a pot and some lead. Add heat source. Adjust process and materials as needed. Eventually the bullets look good, the reloading goes smooth and the little holes down range are where you want them (or close enough). Anything that don't come out right can go back in the pot for a do-over.

I would get as much of that berm lead as you can. Berm lead is a good base ingredient. Can almost use as is, or improve with a little addition. If you develop a need for some harder lead you can blend in purchased alloys using the berm lead as a base. Work any contacts with scrap yards, ask nicely and check back. More than one person has found the answer changes, especially at small or private businesses small garage/tire stores are better source than the "big" name ones AND contact those guys that advertise odd jobs, hauling and clean up. They might just be asked to clean up or haul some lead to the scrap yard. Nice if they have your number and know you will beat the scrap yard price by a nickel a pound.

You may well find the swapping and selling part of this forum will provide a source for additional alloy or a place you can work out a trade some of your berm lead for some tin or high alloy lead. I think I read where one needs to smack the fully jacketed rounds with a heavy hammer to create a crack for the lead to flow out of, but berm lead is one source I have not actively pursued.

toallmy
09-18-2015, 05:19 PM
I just started to cast bullets myself . And did not want to go to far into it. So I got a old frying pan. Cast iron and a gas burner,borrowed a mold and went about learning what not to do . But with help from this sight I have worked out how to do it right. Just start that was the hard part .. after that search through the archives and you can figure it out.. remember lead to hot. Don't touch wear a good glove and you can remelt the cast bullets. And you will always need more stuff. A lot more stuff but you can use what you have .good luck