PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Bullet Feed Die & Bully adapter

1bluehorse
09-13-2015, 03:13 PM
The Hornady bullet feed die, Bully adapter (to allow use of the Lee 4 tube feeder with the Hornady die.) This is the set-up, cost is right at 90 bucks for all parts. I didn't really need a bullet feeder but it looked like it might be interesting to try, so I purchased the parts and set them up on my RCBS progressive press loading 9mm. The Hornady die is well made, collets (inside) are metal, comes with good (easy) instructions on setup and use. The Bully adapter is machined aluminum and well made also. (maybe needs a bit more R&D) Most probably already know what the Lee 4 tube bullet feeder is like (pretty much the same as the case feeder, may even be the same thing. It works)
The Hornady die by itself works pretty much 100%, no problems. The die body holds right at 10, 9mm 115gr. bullets. Add the Bully adapter and the Lee tubes and you get some what over 100 bullets. All well and good. However, I couldn't get reliable bullet feed with the system. Tried different adjustments of the die, more and less case flare, even tried a small tube between the die and adapter thinking the bullets may be getting "cocked" between the two (there is a bit of "wiggle" room in there.) to no avail. So, at least, for 9mm it's not working very well for me. In all actuality it's just as easy to place a bullet in the case as it comes around anyway, but as you all know new "gadgets" are fun to fool with. I would really like it to work with the 223 55 grainers though, I really hate trying to pick those slick itty, bitty, bullets outa the box....
So.....if anybody has tried or is using this setup with good results, please let me know what/how you're doing it.

Pee Wee
09-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Are you using cast boolits are FMJ, I read that feeder will not work with cast Boolits, I have Two dillion 550's with the standard lee bullet feeders and lee dies with the lee 4 tube feeder, I just activate by hand with the lever and it works great. I will post a pix from my I-pad later. I almost cut off my left thumb and when they sewed it back on I lost all the nerves so I have no feeling in it so I have a hard time picking up boolits to put in the brass and most of the time I end up dropping them, so the feeders work out great for me.
Pee Wee

Pee Wee
09-13-2015, 03:47 PM
148874148875Her they are

1bluehorse
09-13-2015, 05:11 PM
That looks like a good setup Pee Wee. It's a bit different from the "system" I'm using. The bullets drop directly into the Hornady die (fed either by hand or tubes) and the bullet drop is activated by the case. Looks good in theory, I'm just not having very reliable performance from it. A couple good videos on U-tube using it. Thanks for your response, it's always good to see what others are doing and their results. Hoping someone here has also tried the "system" I'm using and can add their experiences and if good, how they managed it. So far mine has been a bust.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-13-2015, 10:44 PM
If you want your Hornady bullet feeder dies to work with cast boolits, you have to modify them. For FMJ, they are supposed to work okay, but like most things, need a bit of tuning to work properly. The information on modding the dies to work with cast boolits can be found using an internet search. For FMJ, you may have to tune the dies a bit using some emory/polishing cloth. Shouldn't be a big deal to work the system to work well. I have three tuned for cast boolits, was pretty easy to do several years ago.

jmorris
09-14-2015, 11:12 AM
I use the GSI feeders with cast bullets.