PDA

View Full Version : Homemade lube

lobowolf761
09-12-2015, 08:35 PM
I've been wondering if anyone here has ever tried using rendered deer tallow in making up homemade lube for BP rifles.

lobowolf761
09-12-2015, 08:36 PM
If so what process and recipe did you use?

Cowboy_Dan
09-13-2015, 11:20 PM
The only lube I have ever made is BLL, but my guess is that it probably works, but not as well as other sources. My reasoning is that most people who would make bp lube hunt deer, but I have never heard of using deer tallow. To not use a free source of tallow instead of one that must be bought attests to the better suitability of the purchased product.

That being said, there is a good probability you can sub in deer tallow for other forms and never notice any difference. And somebody will probably come through and blow my reasoning out of the water. As I said, I've never made bp lube before.

runfiverun
09-14-2015, 10:22 AM
elmer keith did.
he rendered it and mixed it with B-wax to make the wax soft enough to lube boolits with.
he also used bear fat, and a few others [sheep airc]

toallmy
09-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Crisco unsalted smells better.

Mk42gunner
09-15-2015, 11:32 PM
I was going to one time several years ago. I had a gallon bucket stuffed pretty full of tallow from a few deer that the family got, but something* got to it and ate it before I got it melted.

*Dogs, cats, coon, possum or skunk; all real possibilities, take your pick as to what it was.

Robert

randyrat
09-16-2015, 06:54 AM
If you render the deer tallow real good and pure it will work very good and it won't spoil. I've had some in my gun room for 4 years now still good, it is in a Vacuum pack but not chilled.
Bear fat rendered is way too expensive/ valuable to use for lube.

Take your time and render it real pure and you will be rewarded

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-16-2015, 10:52 AM
Regarding homemade lubes, there is some good reading here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?26524-Just-the-facts-Lube-recipes

I've made BP lube with Beargrease/beeswax at about 50/50 for shooting in minnesota in the fall, which is typically as cold as 35ºF and as warm as 65ºF. You can adjust the amount of beeswax to suit your needs and outside temperature.