PDA

View Full Version : Priming on a Forster CoAx

wiiawiwb
09-12-2015, 05:29 PM
When I was reviewing prior posts looking for information about the CoAx, I found a number of comments that were not too favorable about the priming system. That caused me to take pause when trying to decide between buying the the CoAx and the Redding T-7.

Now that I've had my CoAx for a little while, I can say that I really like it. It seats a primer to the same depth every time and I fingertip feel every case after I prime it just to be sure it is seated below the case bottom. That's reassuring because I was concerned about me doing something wrong and having a primer seat above flush and having something accidentally trigger it. I think it would be difficult to improperly seat the primer if I tried my best to do it. I'd say goof proof.

Placing a primer by hand into the primer holder is not very difficult at all. It drops right in almost every time. That answer might change if I had thick, meaty, and massive hands.

I am truly pleased I chose the CoAx and the priming aspect of it has been a pleasure. Admittedly, I only prime and load 50 cases of 45LC at a time. If I had to ramp up production and produce 250 rounds each week, I'd be looking at Plan B. That won't happen based upon my prior track record.

So, the purpose of this post was to apprise others who might also be looking at a CoAx, but on the fence, that its priming procedure receives a grade of "A" as far as I'm concerned.

country gent
09-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Once set up priming on the coax isnt a big deal or much diffrent than any single stage press. I have primed on mine before and it does fine, I perfer to "feel" the primers bottom into the pocket rather than set it to seat to a depth. I ussually "choke up" on the handle when priming also. For large batches of specialty rifle ammo I also prime of the press, with a hand held tool. I have used rcbs bench mounted tool a priming tool I made with rack and pinon gear drive, Lee hand tool, rcbs hand tool and hornady handt tool. The coax set up properly with the tool is very accurate and easy to use.