PDA

View Full Version : Components' future

9w1911
09-12-2015, 02:18 PM
I have an underlying anxiety that I walk around with everyday. I feel I need to purchase lifetime supplies of primers, powder and brass. I feel that sometime in the future our hobby/lifestyles will be curtailed even more so than now, and I feel it is not an unfair assumption to think that one day components will be unavailable by law. It is just a hunch.

Crash_Corrigan
09-12-2015, 04:11 PM
That is the reason why my next gun will be a flintlock rifle. I can make the powder myself. Cast the round ball myself and I will not be buying primers, powder or bullets down the line. I have not used my 22 lr rifle in years as the cost of the ammo is unrealistic to me. I can make my own ammo for less per round than 22 lr ammo. If I use my own blackpowder rather than bought smokeless powder I will save even more.

rancher1913
09-12-2015, 06:43 PM
I kind of follow in crash's foot steps with several flinters and the ability to make my own powder, but I would rather trade paper for supplies today to avoid a shortage down the road. cabelas has s&b primers for 20 bucks a thousand, I stocked up. anytime I find lead I stock up. using my brass till it splits, my brass supply will last a long time but if I find it cheap I buy it. helps that my wife is on-board with my hobby, she even buy's me powder for our anniversary. the one draw back will be if they out law ammo, like they did gold.

root
09-12-2015, 07:37 PM
The future of components?

Bleak.......

Like everyone else I bu what I can when I can, and make all kinds of stuff. Mostly tools and such for reloading but it's fun and keeps me busy.

Been broke most of the summer and am down to my last 1 lb can of powder. so maybe I'll be doing like the others and finding a flint I can make BP for. That would be interesting. Maybe even make some really course stuff for my golf ball cannon.

Rich

Blackwater
09-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Wow! You really ask the question of the hour! Another thing I'm concerned about is the manufacturing of the new powders. If I understand it right, they've changed the solvents they use to ones more EPA "friendly," and that makes them cheaper to produce. This change in solvents, since they must apparently break down more easily, seems to at least possibly indicate that their stability, and thus, their shelf life, may not (?) be quite what we've come to expect. There's still a little ammo left from WWI that's still viable if it's been kept out of the heat and moisture. Whether the stuff they're beginning to put out now will last as well remains a question, at least for me if nobody else.

What I've determined to do is simply use the "new" powders now, and keep the old ones back for a possible rainy day, since I KNOW that they'll last a lot longer than I will. Nothing beats dependability when one considers things like survival, and the defense of one's own self and family.

These are interesting times, aren't they? All sorts of questions, and nothing but the PC answers to go on. I guess that's at least part of the reason I take so much with several grains of salt nowadays.

Love Life
09-12-2015, 08:14 PM
You know Blackwater, that's a very interesting way to look at it.

9w1911
09-12-2015, 08:24 PM
OK I know grabbing a flintlock and making your own black. I make my own black btw.

The question really was meant for components such as: smokeless powder, primers and brass and the level of anxiety one may have for the fear/anticipation our hobby will soon be curtailed.

Also regulations for black is more than that of smokeless.

rodsvet
09-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Once obumer is out and we get a conservative and retain the congress, then a lot of this madness will disappear. Vote!

dragon813gt
09-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Have some of you thrown the towel in? We have gained ground over the last few years. The fight is constant so we must be ever vigilant. But at the moment I'm not concerned.

As far as the powder manufacturing changing to new formulas. My understanding is that this is coming more from Europe and other markets then here. I know the EPA regulations are ridiculous. But the "green drive" seems to be coming from outside our borders w/ this one. And w/ most of the powders being made outside them you see why they are changing.

762 shooter
09-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Any components you buy now should retain or increase in value.

Money in the bank. If you like to reload and shoot, why not?

I really can't visualize a scenario where components are going to be cheaper. If that happens just stock up again.

Garyshome
09-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Buy them while they are available.....like me.

Blackwater
09-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Excellent point dragon. Thanks. Didn't mean to single us out. Craziness prevails everywhere now, it seems.

Ballistics in Scotland
09-14-2015, 03:32 PM
There is another problem. Thirty years ago we had more cartridges than were needed to do every job that could be expected of them. But the situation is far worse now, as endless new mainstream and attempted proprietary cartridges flood in. Maybe it is because it takes a whole lot less to design a new cartridge than to invent something new and useful in firearms. After all, it is very nearly there already, designed by someone else, and ready to receive minor modifications.

Some of these cartridges will never catch on, or will die in a few years. Meanwhile they push longer-established cartridges off the market. We need a cartridge we already use, more than we just might take up using.

The thing about powder solvents is that they shouldn't be in the powder any more.

Blackwater
09-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Your point is well taken BinS, but I don't understand what you mean, I don't think, by your last statement, "The thing about powder solvents is that they shouldn't be in the powder any more." I don't understand because chemistry simply is what it is, and our "necessity" can't change that. If we want powders with a long shelf life, as many do, and it takes the older formulas, surely there must be ways to deal with that without causing pollution that would be detrimental. Some of the EPA and Euro rules are more style than substance, even if most DID start out with at least some substance to them. Am I missing something?

ejcrist
09-16-2015, 02:46 PM
I have an underlying anxiety that I walk around with everyday. I feel I need to purchase lifetime supplies of primers, powder and brass. I feel that sometime in the future our hobby/lifestyles will be curtailed even more so than now, and I feel it is not an unfair assumption to think that one day components will be unavailable by law. It is just a hunch.

Gosh, for a long while I thought I was the only fella feeling this way. Ever since about 8 years ago I estimated about how much of each component I'd need for a lifetime supply and have been buying ever since. It seems like everything is under threat from powder and primers to cast boolit metals. Every time I read the news it seems all manor of people and institutions have been making the case to restrict or eliminate components due to environmental concerns, safety, etc., etc. Nowadays I order or buy at least twice as much as what I need to replace what I used and I'll continue to do that until I reach what'll last me another 30 years or so. I think that's the best way to hedge. And if nothing ever materializes the worst case scenario is you'll have a good stock at yesterdays prices.

9w1911
09-16-2015, 02:57 PM
I feel that the powers that be, still are uninformed about reloading and it is just a matter of time when they will catch on.

dtknowles
09-16-2015, 03:00 PM
..................The thing about powder solvents is that they shouldn't be in the powder any more.

Powder always smelled like solvents to me.

Tim

Blackwater
09-17-2015, 02:24 PM
1911, I hope you're right, but the way things have been going, I can't help but wonder if they're not just BEGINNING to understand what we do, how we go about it, and are trying to cease ALL of it? The opposition really DOES have an agenda, and eliminating all ability to resist seems to be one of their tenets. Good discusson, though. Trying to "see inside another man's (or opposing force's) is always an iffy sort of thing, but when one bases his assessments on what people DO, their motivations are usually pretty transparent, over time, at least. It really isn't paranoia if they really ARE after ya'! It's just recognition of a simple fact!

9w1911
09-17-2015, 05:08 PM
I am still anxious hahaha.

yovinny
09-17-2015, 05:27 PM
Speaking of powder, the manufacturers might also be dealing with a shortage of raw nitrocellulose stock now also.
I know we've had a hell of a time finding adequate nitrocellulose stock for our explosives manufacturing, and most is sold out with 18-24 months lead time.
I'm not sure if our stuff might need to meet different requirements than that used for domestic powder manufacture,,,But our #1 supply problem in plastic explosives manufacture right now is complete lack of available nitrocellulose.

Mytmousemalibu
09-17-2015, 05:35 PM
I too am worried that our means of Reloading might be in harms way some day. I certainly hope not but have been preparing for it, if nothing happens, cool, I'll have a good supply.

I really want to get a Charleville musket and a flintlock rifle and the components to feed them for a while. Its still my hobby and a fun thing to enjoy but it does hold a serious underlying purpose for me.

Petrol & Powder
09-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Once obumer is out and we get a conservative and retain the congress, then a lot of this madness will disappear. Vote!
/\ YES /\ !!!!!!

Fear is a powerful tool. It drives a lot of marketing and exploitation. In fact, fear drives a lot persuasion.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-17-2015, 06:54 PM

Gosh, for a long while I thought I was the only fella feeling this way. Ever since about 8 years ago I estimated about how much of each component I'd need for a lifetime supply and have been buying ever since. It seems like everything is under threat from powder and primers to cast boolit metals. Every time I read the news it seems all manor of people and institutions have been making the case to restrict or eliminate components due to environmental concerns, safety, etc., etc. Nowadays I order or buy at least twice as much as what I need to replace what I used and I'll continue to do that until I reach what'll last me another 30 years or so. I think that's the best way to hedge. And if nothing ever materializes the worst case scenario is you'll have a good stock at yesterdays prices.
ejcrist,
Me too !
I didn't even start casting til 2010, BUT in 2008 (about 8 years ago), the trifecta of the housing bubble threatening the economy, the spike in the metals market and other commodities, and thirdly it looked like McCain had no chance against Obama.
That's when I got that feeling and started buying in bulk. Even though scrap brass prices were high, it was still possible to buy used range brass (9 and 40) for a penny to 1.5¢ each, which was less than scrap price, I bought buckets upon buckets, I figured I couldn't lose. The same time, Primers (made of brass) started creeping up from the old standby $16ish per K price to over $20...So whenever I found a deal, I bought in bulk. I was never worried about powders, til the summer before the Sandy Hook shooting, powder manufacturers started bumping up prices that spring, which hadn't really moved up in the previous decade. So again, I started buying in bulk when I found a deal...then of course, in the month or so after Sandy Hook...the shelves went bare, and I was real glad of my previous purchases.

This wasn't meant to brag, I'm sure many others could read the writting on the wall...looking forward, If obama is replaced with another DEM, it'll likely get worse again, so if a person isn't sitting pretty with supplies, now IS the time to stock up.

9w1911
09-17-2015, 07:34 PM
nitrocellulose - I would think it is the same but I am sure we will be corrected.

Petrol & Powder
09-17-2015, 07:44 PM
From Jon B in Glencoe:

"......now IS the time to stock up."

I would say now is the time to hold Conservative control of Congress (where the real power is) and take back the White House (the seat of the executive branch). The rest will follow.

jonp
09-17-2015, 08:00 PM
I feel that the powers that be, still are uninformed about reloading and it is just a matter of time when they will catch on.
Your right. We are only one islamic terrorist attack away from a full out assault on our hobby.

I set aside money every payday for componants. I buy 22lr when I see it at a good price. Primers, lead, powder same thing although on powder I keep to tbe multi use stuff like Unique, Promo/red dot, 2400, 3031 and 4064 for the most part

Petrol & Powder
09-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Your right. We are only one islamic terrorist attack away from a full out assault on our hobby.

I set aside money every payday for componants. I buy 22lr when I see it at a good price. Primers, lead, powder same thing although on powder I keep to tbe multi use stuff like Unique, Promo/red dot, 2400, 3031 and 4064 for the most part

/\ See /\ Fear is a powerful tool.

So if components are outlawed or severely controlled, what will you have accomplished by hording ?
Wouldn't it be a better course of action to prevent the control of components by putting your efforts and money into keeping the political power on our side?

pretzelxx
09-17-2015, 08:33 PM
I want to get a fire resistant safe the size of a room for components... But I feel like that's against the rules to be able to accidentally blow your house and foundation up with one spark..

tazman
09-17-2015, 08:45 PM
/\ See /\ Fear is a powerful tool.

So if components are outlawed or severely controlled, what will you have accomplished by hording ?
Wouldn't it be a better course of action to prevent the control of components by putting your efforts and money into keeping the political power on our side?

By hoarding supplies they will have a supply when purchasing them becomes illegal or at least very difficult. If components are outlawed, the supply on hand could be made to disappear.

Ideally you could keep the political power in check by trusting your congressmen/congresswomen to properly represent you. Unfortunately we have a president that loves back room secret deals and executive orders to accomplish what he cannot get congress to pass. Until he is out of office you can't count on anything to remain the same from day to day. If another liberal makes it into the presidency soon we will be in trouble as far as our hobby is concerned.
Between the executive orders, a justice department that he keeps under his thumb, and the EPA (with it's "green" agenda that can be made to restrict almost anything) our hobby and access to components could be made to disappear very quickly.
Since Obama got a second term he has been going overboard in order to make sure he has a "legacy" that will be remembered. Unfortunately, it will not be one that history will approve of.

Ravenhawk57
09-17-2015, 08:48 PM
Dig you a little under ground storage. Better yet find a used sea train and bury it. Temperature control becomes easyier, and outer sight outer mind.

Petrol & Powder
09-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Spending your efforts & money in hording components will only delay the inevitable if those items are later controlled. How about spending a little time, effort and money into the cause to PREVENT the control of those items in the first place?

Everyone wants to whine about political forces but huge numbers of people sit on the sidelines and allow those forces to act unfettered while they claim the "little man" can do nothing to stop it. The only way to become that "little man" is to do nothing but spend your resources preparing for the possible outcome as opposed to trying to prevent that outcome. If you do nothing to help the cause other than stockpile components the day will come when that stock pile is all you will have. Spend a little more time/money acting while you can and that day will not come.

footpetaljones
09-17-2015, 09:54 PM

Reloading was mentioned in a show called "Elementary" I watch. The actress was confused that it was even possible. Another character claimed to be able to tell that a criminal used a full auto 9mm with a smoothbore barrel from bullet holes in the same episode. I did a lot of shaking my head that night.

Speaking of powder, the manufacturers might also be dealing with a shortage of raw nitrocellulose stock now also.
I know we've had a hell of a time finding adequate nitrocellulose stock for our explosives manufacturing, and most is sold out with 18-24 months lead time.
I'm not sure if our stuff might need to meet different requirements than that used for domestic powder manufacture,,,But our #1 supply problem in plastic explosives manufacture right now is complete lack of available nitrocellulose.

For those of us not in the industry, would you know why nitrocellulose is in short supply?

tazman
09-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Petrol & Powder--
You speak as if it is an either/or choice. I don't feel that way.
I am doing what I can, when I can to get congress and those in positions of power to look kindly on our hobby and our 2nd amendment rights.
I am also investing in the future of my hobby with components.
I don't see any problem or conflict in doing both.
I foresee a time in the near future(10-20 Years, possibly sooner) when, despite all we can do by writing letters, making phone calls, and any other way you can think of to publicly express your opinion, that our freedoms will be curtailed. Not just our 2nd amendment rights. I intend to put that time off as long as I can. Unfortunately, despite all my efforts and those of many others, I think the time will come when "that stockpile is all you will have". Until that time I am working to make my ability to continue my hobby as certain as I can make it.
If I am reading you wrong I apologize.

9w1911
09-17-2015, 10:16 PM
No chance I am letting the bureaucrats determine if I can purchase powder in a few years , or 10 or 20. I often think about that, when I am much older, working through a keg of Promo and thanking myself for buying when it was right. I imagine it will be like ammo in CA, you will need an ID for powder and primers and they tabulate your purchases and shut you off when you hit a certain minimum.

tazman
09-17-2015, 10:38 PM
No chance I am letting the bureaucrats determine if I can purchase powder in a few years , or 10 or 20. I often think about that, when I am much older, working through a keg of Promo and thanking myself for buying when it was right. I imagine it will be like ammo in CA, you will need an ID for powder and primers and they tabulate your purchases and shut you off when you hit a certain minimum.

What you describe is certainly a possibility.
I live in Illinois. We don't have it as bad a California yet but we are moving in that direction. We have some of the strictest gun laws in the country and it hasn't stopped or slowed the violence in the large cities(Chicago, Peoria, etc) at all that I can see.
Fortunately we recently won the right to carry and so far the powers that be aren't making it all that hard to get a permit. This may change in the future, but it will be a few years since we elected a Republican governor.
Hopefully we can continue getting things to go better.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-17-2015, 11:04 PM
From Jon B in Glencoe:

"......now IS the time to stock up."

I would say now is the time to hold Conservative control of Congress (where the real power is) and take back the White House (the seat of the executive branch). The rest will follow.

Spending your efforts & money in hording components will only delay the inevitable if those items are later controlled. How about spending a little time, effort and money into the cause to PREVENT the control of those items in the first place?

Everyone wants to whine about political forces but huge numbers of people sit on the sidelines and allow those forces to act unfettered while they claim the "little man" can do nothing to stop it. The only way to become that "little man" is to do nothing but spend your resources preparing for the possible outcome as opposed to trying to prevent that outcome. If you do nothing to help the cause other than stockpile components the day will come when that stock pile is all you will have. Spend a little more time/money acting while you can and that day will not come.
I been politically involved (in Minnesota) since before Clinton (the slick one) walked in and occupied the White House. I have been a delegate every year, going to conventions, sending in money...doing everything a conservative can do in Minnesota - "The Liberal Mecca". and what have we accomplished in MN ? Liberal governor, Liberal State Senate ...but we just gained back the House, after the Liberal's had control of the House during his first two years of that Liberal Governor...they were giddy with power and we got the biggest Tax increase of all time. This state is liberal and growing more Liberal each year, just like the country...So from my perspective, I believe it's only a matter of time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not lying down and giving up, I'm still fighting the good fight...But I "KNOW" it'd be foolish to not stock up.

Petrol & Powder
09-18-2015, 12:16 AM
Tazman, You are not reading me wrong and no offense taken. I thank you for your response and I respect you for responding.
Intelligent responses and genuine discussion are far more valuable than simple response to the choir.

I want people to think a little bit and ponder where they can do the most good. Putting money, time and resources into preparing for the worst is smart but not always productive in the short term. How about we devote a little energy into prevention?

The "sky is falling" mentality is the manifestation of fear dominating our decision making and that diverts resources that could be used to avoid the sky actually falling.

It is not an all or nothing proposition but rather a "where do you want to devote your resources" proposition.
You can put ALL of your resources into hording lead, powder, primers, brass, guns, dies, etc.; OR you can put some effort into countering the forces that wish to deny you access to those tangible things.

Where do you think those resources are more effective ?

What do you think the liberals are doing with their resources ?

What do you think will have the greatest influence on the ultimate outcome? - Spending more money on components or trying to influence who controls those components?

It is easy to throw your hands up and say the other side has already won and concede the loss. They will certainly accept that surrender and run with it.
However, you could devote you efforts into continuing the fight.
You could devote your efforts into pushing the other side back. I'm not ready to surrender to the great un-washed masses.

I think we still have a good fight left in us. Let's deploy our resources to pushing the other side back. The stuff needed to fight the liberals isn't nearly as important as the WILL to taking the fight to the liberals.

Blackwater
09-18-2015, 06:05 PM
If and when things become unavailable, one has all one is likely to get. That's as simple a principle as a man can come up with, and it seems to have great relevance to the politics of the present day, and the natural fears that come with what all is going on around us. Food, shelter, clothing and self defense are the essentials for survival. Let those who will and are able, prepare for the worst. To the rest, I can only wish "good luck."

These matters are simple judgment calls, and each person has to make them for whatever reasons and due to whatever motivations influence them, for the sake of their families, and anything else they hold dear. Thus, the answers will always vary. I just hope none of us ever has to fall back on only what we currently have. That it's a possibility seems near certain though, at least at some point. Dealing with these things and questions is just a natural and (generally) inevitable part of life, and how we answer these questions CAN determine whether and how we survive some rational scenarios that can definitely arise. That they may be worse than any of us presently anticipate is also a possibility as well. Super volcanoes, all manner of other natural phenomena CAN cause near instant breakdown of our supply lines, and the destruction of our modern world. We can't prepare for every eventuality, but doing all we can to prepare for at least some of the more survivable ones just kind'a makes sense, to me if to nobody else in the world. This is where we really have to do our own thinking for ourselves, and not just ride the trends that exist.

tazman
09-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Blackwater---
Every time I talk about these things to people I get called paranoid. It's nice to hear someone on a similar wavelength.
Plans change over the years due to circumstances, money, health, and abilities but the thoughts and plans are still there.

smokeywolf
09-18-2015, 11:23 PM
I too believe that the government will keep trying to interfere with or limit components as a step toward their ultimate goal.

I can only keep in stock what the fire codes allow. Just learned that because of son's school, we can't escape Kali till end of school year.

Once out of Fine-Swine's socialist state I'll put in a bit more powder & primer in reserves, add to my muzzle loaders (flinters in particular). Also would like to get at least 2 more air rifles, and a crossbow. And, I will definitely learn the finer points of making my own holy black.

Just Duke
09-19-2015, 11:47 AM
I too believe that the government will keep trying to interfere with or limit components as a step toward their ultimate goal.

I can only keep in stock what the fire codes allow. Just learned that because of son's school, we can't escape Kali till end of school year.

Once out of Fine-Swine's socialist state I'll put in a bit more powder & primer in reserves, add to my muzzle loaders (flinters in particular). Also would like to get at least 2 more air rifles, and a crossbow. And, I will definitely learn the finer points of making my own holy black.

:drinks:

9w1911
09-19-2015, 12:42 PM
There are Federal limits to powder storage and they are very similar to most county codes.

dragon813gt
09-19-2015, 03:28 PM
There are Federal limits to powder storage and they are very similar to most county codes.

No, there is no federal limit. There are DOT regulations for transporting them. Storage is regulated by your municipalities fire code. In some instances there are state regulations. Know your local fire code and you are good to go.

9w1911
09-19-2015, 08:25 PM
I thought federal was 50lb

RogerDat
09-19-2015, 09:24 PM
One thing to factor in would be scarcity generally breeds conservation. If limited to whatever you have on hand you will slow down your rate of consumption, possibly reduce it by a great amount. Folks on the frontier did not shoot a few hundred rounds at targets once or twice a week the way some of us do in modern times. They were not willing to purchase then haul that much ammo along for no other reason than to blaze away at targets. The lack of readily available replacement and cost made them want to conserve not waste ammo.

Most of us stopped shooting a bunch of .22 once that supply became harder to come by. Once the replacement "cost" both financial and in terms of time and effort become great enough it changes actions and activities.

Having a good supply in the larder of anything you have a ready and consistent use for just makes sense. The potential for a crack down or more restrictive laws makes it even more advantageous to have a good supply on hand.

yovinny
09-21-2015, 05:14 PM
For those of us not in the industry, would you know why nitrocellulose is in short supply?

I'm not directly involved in the acquisition of the raw manufacturing stock or chemicals, only in the equipment and machinery, so I know little about it and can only relate what I was told by the person that is.
He told me it was a combination of very limited 'qualified' domestic manufacturing and basically the DOD had already spoken for all of it, pushing availability to 18-24 months.
Their may be other domestic nitrocellulose production available in a grade thats below being 'qualified' for DOD use and can be used for commercial powder production and other such things, but that would be completely beyond my realm of knowledge.

Cheers, YV

mac60
09-22-2015, 06:49 PM
It doesn't seem likely at this point - but just imagine if Mrs. Clinton is installed as the next occupant of the White House.

9w1911
09-22-2015, 07:09 PM
I'm not directly involved in the acquisition of the raw manufacturing stock or chemicals, only in the equipment and machinery, so I know little about it and can only relate what I was told by the person that is.
He told me it was a combination of very limited 'qualified' domestic manufacturing and basically the DOD had already spoken for all of it, pushing availability to 18-24 months.
Their may be other domestic nitrocellulose production available in a grade thats below being 'qualified' for DOD use and can be used for commercial powder production and other such things, but that would be completely beyond my realm of knowledge.

Cheers, YV

This ads truth to the rumor that the Gov sapped up all the powder.

irishtoo
09-22-2015, 07:34 PM
i have a dual reason for stocking. first to avoid shortage during the next panic and second im trying to get all my supplies and toys prior to retirement (about 4 years). i too buy when i can find powder, primers and lead. i think im fairly close to my goal. i did buy a supply of 22lr prior to y2k( which never happened, BIG disappointment). in 99 you could still buy 2 bricks of 22s on sale for 20 bucks. so i did. government regulation crafted for my "safety" is to me a big concern. irishtoo

runfiverun
09-23-2015, 12:27 AM
if you read the amounts and types of storage necessary it doesn't limit the amount total it limits the amount stored in one unit.

tazman
09-23-2015, 04:26 AM
if you read the amounts and types of storage necessary it doesn't limit the amount total it limits the amount stored in one unit.

I noticed the same thing when I read it. I wonder how that rule would effect a gun shop that has over 300 pounds of powder on display on shelves as one of my local gun shops does?

dragon813gt
09-23-2015, 07:03 AM
I noticed the same thing when I read it. I wonder how that rule would effect a gun shop that has over 300 pounds of powder on display on shelves as one of my local gun shops does?

There are separate rules for commercial establishments. All of this is in plain English and can be looked up easily. A lot of fire code refers to the NFPA Guidelines. All it takes is a call to your municipality to find out if this is the case. No need to mention primers and powder because NFPA covers everything. Tell them you are installing a furnace, assuming you can do this w/ no licensee, and want to make sure you are installing it to code.

Commercial establishments have higher limits. But they also need greater room for storage. Cabinets have to spaced so far apart and only allowed in certain locations. It wouldn't surprise me if a LGS was storing them however they wanted. People seem to think they can do whatever they want when it comes to powder and primers.

SAAMI refers to the NFPA code so here are the basics.
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_201-Primers.pdf

You need to know what your local code is because that is what determines your limits and storage requirements. If you're a resident of Maryland you can only have five pounds of powder in your residence :eek:

smokeywolf
09-23-2015, 06:17 PM
If you're a resident of Maryland you can only have five pounds of powder in your residence :eek:

Seems like it would be advantageous to have a detached garage. Since it not attached to your living space, it may not be counted as part of your residence.

tazman
09-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Seems like it would be advantageous to have a detached garage. Since it not attached to your living space, it may not be counted as part of your residence.

That's where mine is. I bring in what I will need for a few days and leave the rest until needed. I never have more than 5lb in the house at any one time. Ditto with the primers.

dragon813gt
09-23-2015, 07:04 PM

I don't live there so I don't know the ins and outs. I'm not far from the border and friends are the ones that told me about the limit. It would not surprise me if you were limited to that amount on your property. I shouldn't have used residence because I don't know if that's the correct term. Either way, nothing like bot being able to store an 8# jug :rolleyes: