PDA

View Full Version : .357 Keith Top Punch

Bigscot
09-12-2015, 09:31 AM
I borrowed an H&G .357 Keith mould from a friend and cast about 50 lbs of boolits. Now it is time to start sizing them. Problem is, I don't have a proper fitting top punch. Does any one know which Lyman or RCBS top punch best fits this boolit. I have a Lyman 450 sizer.

Thanks,

Stuart

telebasher
09-12-2015, 09:53 AM
429 works for me.

Blackwater
09-12-2015, 10:09 AM
If you'll look at the mould # of the comparable Lyman version, as in the 358429 in the case of Lyman's version of that bullet, the last three numbers, the "429," are the number of the top punch, and they usually work just find, though not always. A few instances will show that such a choice will leave a small ring around the bullet's nose, usually back from the point. This just calls for your putting it in the chuck of a simple hand drill, and spinning it, and opening it up a bit with some sandpaper, often applied with a suitably sized wooden dowel. This calls for some deftness on your part, but it's doable, and that's about the worst case scenario.

Additionally, most any flat point top punch in our kit will likely work if it's as big or bigger than the flat on your particular mold. Try one and see if you don't already have one that's usable.

gwpercle
09-12-2015, 02:03 PM
You can use a flat punch. I altered a round nose to flat by filling the punch's RN cavity with hot glue and sanding flat. Liked it so much, after using a while , ( the hot glue I had didn't get rock hard and after a good bit of use started to deform) I removed the hot glue and filled it with plumber's epoxy putty, sanded flat and cured, it's hard as steel.
You can seat everything with a flat punch except round nose boolits.
Gary

Mk42gunner
09-13-2015, 01:20 AM
Since I'm cheap (frugal sounds soo much better) and most of the boolits I cast are flat nosed, I use a one inch section of ¼" bolt about an inch long for a top punch in my RCBS Lubamatic. Works fine and does anything from a 257420 to a 452424 with zero problems.

I have even been known to use it on RN boolits too.

Robert

Bigscot
09-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Will have to try them. I do have some blank top punches I acquired from someone one here and a neighbor with a lathe. May have to try making my own.

Stuart

waco
09-13-2015, 12:39 PM
You can use a flat punch. I altered a round nose to flat by filling the punch's RN cavity with hot glue and sanding flat. Liked it so much, after using a while , ( the hot glue I had didn't get rock hard and after a good bit of use started to deform) I removed the hot glue and filled it with plumber's epoxy putty, sanded flat and cured, it's hard as steel.
You can seat everything with a flat punch except round nose boolits.
Gary

I agree fully. Tom at Accurate sells a set of three for a very reasonable price.

aap2
09-13-2015, 04:28 PM
In addition to the 3 flat punches from Tom at Accurate I bought some blank top punches from Perfesser (sp?) and with a dab of JB Weld these will work for any boolit. These blank top punches are retained by o-rings so they are self-centering....these are the best that I have ever used.

T-Bird
09-14-2015, 06:35 PM
I got the set from Tom it was under 10$ I think, and I only use the small one. I've used it for 358429, RCBS 35-200, 429421, Lee 379-250, Lee358rnfp, Lee 452 200rnfp and maybe 1 or 2 more.Guess I could have changed them out but why-it worked? I also have the Lyman 450. Shoot Straight T-Bird