PDA

View Full Version : New MP mold - two questions!

theTastyCat
09-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Hey all - it must have been a year ago that I ordered a 9mm MP mold here on a group buy, and JUST NOW I'm getting around to it. It's my first aluminum mold and only my second mold ever.

1. How should I properly clean it before casting? Hot water and dish detergent perhaps?

2. Is it OK to rest the mold directly on the element of my hot plate to bring it up to casting temp?

Many thanks, all!

theTastyCat
09-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Well I cleaned it as above, and MAN, does this mold cast!! Dropping free right from the beginning. Maybe I'm just getting the knack, but this seems to be far easier mold to cast with than my brass MiHec mold!

i haven't cast for probably two years, and it sure does feel great to do it again!

Boogieman
09-12-2015, 12:41 AM
Don't know if it hurts to set a mold directly on a hot plate . I use a 1/2 " steel plate on mine, just happened to have one in the junk pile. I set the mold in ti open with the sprue plate down. It heats up evenly with no danger of warping. and the hot sprue plate gets the bullet bases filling out much faster.

theTastyCat
09-12-2015, 12:48 AM
You know, that just can't be bad advice. I believe someone mentioned that back when I got my brass mold. Guess I'll head to the machine shop and beg for something at a decent price!

pretzelxx
09-12-2015, 01:50 AM
I let mine sit directly on the hotplates with a lead muffin to weigh it down.. No issues with heat thus far.

stubert
09-12-2015, 01:00 PM
For those using a hot plate with a coil, Get an old circular saw blade and grind off the teeth and set it on the hot plate. It makes a stable base to set the mold on.

theTastyCat
09-12-2015, 02:46 PM
!!!! GREAT idea!!! Thanks!!