PDA

View Full Version : Who says cast bullets don't expand...........

HiVelocity
09-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Oh, I can see the heads popping up on this topic.......... Lol!

I thought I would share some information on the Ranch Dog 165 grain that a good friend tested recently.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVnjG1LhO0Y&feature=youtu.be

(I've always been a fan of Michael Reamy's designs, I just wish I had bought them all, just because. I just finished casting some of his 460-350-RF for my 45-70 last night.)

Folks, I know that milk jugs isn't the best media to test cast bullet performance, yet, I think for "our" purposes, my friend, William did a good job.

Bullet weight was 173~ powder coated and gas checked; unchronographed, expanded to .80; and retained 88.2% [152.7gr] of its original weight.

Yes sir, I'll take that deer hunting, all day. Thanks to William Wood for his video! Okay, comments, questions?

HV

OptimusPanda
09-11-2015, 06:06 PM
I would not have guessed there would be that much expansion. That big flat nose has a good smack to it.

OnHoPr
09-11-2015, 06:11 PM
I also took a peek at a vid of his with looks like to me the Lee 180 gr PCed with similar mushroom characteristics and more water jug penetration with 25 gr of 4198 in the mosin. I wonder what his alloy is or is that what water jugs do to boolits. The RD looks like it used all of its energy in the first two jugs. That definitely looks like metplat at work. Interesting, though the there was pretty good water jug destruction on the first two jugs of the 180 gr. I wonder which would fair better on a long raking shot or heavy point of the shoulder from a sharp forward angle of a 200 lb bunny.

HiVelocity
09-11-2015, 10:35 PM
I have to keep reminding myself that to kill a deer, hog, etc., that one doesn't need 2,000 fps and a jacketed bullet.

Loading Ranch Dogs 460-350-RF bullet in 45-70, I was reminded that the American buffalo almost became extinct from a 400 grain bullet at 1300 FPS. Both of his designs have healthy meplats, both are my "go-to" bullets in both lever action rifles. Thank you for your comments.

HV

Magana559
09-11-2015, 10:43 PM
I really wish It would have gone into the 4th jug. Two jugs seems a bit too lean for me. Deer wouldn't know what hit em though.
I'd like to harden it up just a bit for hog.

sparky45
09-11-2015, 11:07 PM
I gotta get me that mold. Very good documentation but unless I missed it somewhere, the alloy would be nice to know.

JeffinNZ
09-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Can't argue with success. What was the alloy?

xacex
09-12-2015, 02:47 AM
I'm not here to start a war, but I get better penetration of water jugs (4) with the 300 blackout shooting 2150fps with a 130 grain Mihec 311410 with a hollow point. Difference? I shed a bunch of weight, and the expansion of the base is not much more than the diameter of the projectile. I like the vid. For greater penetration I would do a water drop out of the toaster oven. However,I don't think a deer would notice if you did anything to that boolit as is. That'll get R done.

Shiloh
09-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Many of my rifle boo;its dug out of the berm have mushroomed. Some are bent, other you can't tell as they have hit and been deformed by hitting other boolits.

Shiloh

HiVelocity
09-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Sparky45; JeffinNz, if I remember correctly, the mix was straight wheelweights.

Also, if I remember correctly, this mold is still available through Noebulletmolds dot com.

I think for the purpose of testing a relatively mild load, since it wasn't chronographed, the two jug penetration would be sufficient for deer and hogs here in SC. For hunting purposes, I think 14"~ of penetration and expanding to 80 caliber would be just about perfect. Just my opinion. I would really like to see a recovered bullet in live game, for comparison.

HV

Char-Gar
09-12-2015, 01:38 PM
A powder coated bullet IS NOT a cast bullet. It is a bullet with a cast core and an applied jacket. The core of a bullet with a jacket can be as hard or as soft as a person wants.

Love Life
09-12-2015, 01:42 PM
A powder coated bullet IS NOT a cast bullet. It is a bullet with a cast core and an applied jacket. The core of a bullet with a jacket can be as hard or as soft as a person wants.

Molten lead is poured into a mould. The mould is opened and the CAST bullet is dropped from the mould. From there you can powder coat, HI-TEK, tumble lube, lubesize, or pan lube.

dragon813gt
09-12-2015, 01:50 PM
A PC bullet is most certainly a cast bullet. The PC is a form of a jacket. I can see not calling it a cast bullet if you swaged it. Otherwise you cast it w/ a mold.

Elkins45
09-12-2015, 02:35 PM

That seems like a distinction without a difference. I don't think any sort of coating has enough hardness to materially effect expansion.

sparky45
09-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Sparky45; JeffinNz, if I remember correctly, the mix was straight wheelweights.

Also, if I remember correctly, this mold is still available through Noebulletmolds dot com.

I think for the purpose of testing a relatively mild load, since it wasn't chronographed, the two jug penetration would be sufficient for deer and hogs here in SC. For hunting purposes, I think 14"~ of penetration and expanding to 80 caliber would be just about perfect. Just my opinion. I would really like to see a recovered bullet in live game, for comparison.

HV
Thanks; that's pretty much the alloy I use as well.

44man
09-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Too fast expansion, stopped too soon. My boolit blew up four jugs, split the fifth and went through 17 if I remember. Drops 99% of deer in their tracks.148783

tdoyka
09-12-2015, 04:50 PM
i ordered the 165gr ranch dog, i wonder if it(12-13bhn) goes thru jugs like the one the op has(7-8bhn)?

Tristan
09-13-2015, 12:56 PM
i ordered the 165gr ranch dog, i wonder if it(12-13bhn) goes thru jugs like the one the op has(7-8bhn)?

Try it and see!

tdoyka
09-13-2015, 04:34 PM
i might, i'm trying to find a way to do that, but my stroke-able butt(right side don't work:-D) has to get up and do that!!!:kidding:

if i can find enough jugs, i will try that...