PDA

View Full Version : N.O.E. Molds...

BCB
09-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Will either RCBS or Lyman 2-cavity handles work with an N.O.E. 2-cavity mold?...

Thanks...BCB

lobowolf761
09-11-2015, 05:01 PM
I believe they will. If I remember properly that's what they say on the N.O.E. website.

BCB
09-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Nobody wants to reply!!!...

I think the N.O.E. site said something about a Lee handle...

I sent N.O.E. an e-mail and ask about this but--No Reply At All (Sounds like a line in a song from many many years ago!!!)...

But, guess they might want to sell their handles...

I sure hate to order the mold and then have to order a handle and pay shipping on it also...

Thanks...BCB

OptimusPanda
09-12-2015, 01:19 PM
I use lee handles with my NOE mold but heres a thread talking about RCBS working http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?199395-NOE-mold-handles

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-12-2015, 01:31 PM
I use Lee handles

dragon813gt
09-12-2015, 01:34 PM
I use Lee, a pair of Cabine Tree locking handles and the ones NOE makes. The NOE ones are a lot higher quality than Lee.

newrib
09-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Hi BCB, I have used both the Lyman 2 cavity and the Lee. I never tried RCBS handles on any mold other than the RCBS. I prefer the old style Lyman 2 cavity handles on my NOE mold, they are shorter and less fatiguing.

CHeatermk3
09-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Nobody wants to reply because the answer is in the stickies--much discussion/info there

Suggest you go there and search.

jmort
09-12-2015, 01:57 PM
I just use Lee Precision Handles. They work. If you already have the RCBS/Lyman handles just try them. Otherwise, I would order NOE or Lee handles.

CHeatermk3
09-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Here's a good one:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?191948-The-Right-Handles-Pic-Thread!!

LAKEMASTER
09-13-2015, 09:12 AM
Ebay has sets of Lee handles for next to nothing. I bought 3 of them on an auction for ~$24

Still have one lonely pair of handles ;)

BCB
09-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Ebay has sets of Lee handles for next to nothing. I bought 3 of them on an auction for ~$24

Still have one lonely pair of handles ;)

I read on the N.O.E. site that the Lee 6-cavity may work with SOME ALTERATIONS...

That's intersting information--will they or won't they work?!!!

Their handles are not available, at least not now. That is what their website indicates...

Guess I will try to get the Lee handles. I do see them on e-bay...

Thanks...BCB

dragon813gt
09-13-2015, 11:59 AM
The Lee handles work w/ no modifications.

Dragonheart
09-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Check out the thread in Molds NOE Mold Handles vs Lee Mold Handles on NOE Mould

DeputyDog25
09-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Yes they will work but I tend to use Lee handles instead

Dragonheart
09-16-2015, 01:12 PM
I read on the N.O.E. site that the Lee 6-cavity may work with SOME ALTERATIONS...

That's intersting information--will they or won't they work?!!!

Their handles are not available, at least not now. That is what their website indicates...

Guess I will try to get the Lee handles. I do see them on e-bay...

Thanks...BCB

I personally would wait a few days for the NOE handles to restock, instead of buying the Lee. I wouldn't think they would be out of stock for long. I know I am going to order NOE to replace the Lee I am using now.

BCB
09-16-2015, 02:10 PM
I personally would wait a few days for the NOE handles to restock, instead of buying the Lee. I wouldn't think they would be out of stock for long. I know I am going to order NOE to replace the Lee I am using now.

Do the Lee not fit well and they allow the mold to not close easily--maybe a bit out of alignment before it actually closes?...

I just got the mold today and it sure looks like it is well-made. I almost hate to get it dirty!!!...

Thanks...BCB

Dragonheart
09-16-2015, 02:39 PM
If I had only used the Lee I would have been okay as they do fit the slots in width, but there are a couple of minor differences in the NOE that sure make a difference in the lock up. First the jaw angle on the NOE is about 1/4" narrower and the pin holes are 1/64" smaller, so it takes out the wiggle when the haves come together. Not a big deal, but the NOE feel more precision. The wood on the NOE is slightly larger, but the big thing for me is the wood is pinned to the metal so I can't see them ever coming off. Loose handles that have to be glued back on is a common complaint with Lee.
I know how you feel about the new mold. My brass molds were so pretty I hated to patina the finish. They sure are not pretty now, but they certainly turn out pretty bullets with hardly a mold line and drop with no effort. After powder coating the bullets there is no line at all, just a smooth glossy finish.

BCB
09-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, I hooked the mold to a set of RCBS handles. They open and close easily...

But, as I mess with it now, I get a bit of misalignment with the pins. They will close completely, but there is a bit of "bump" when I close the mold. Not enough to wear them, but maybe it would be better to try the Lee if I can find some in the area or order the N.O.E. when they are in stock...

Always something...

Good-luck...BCB

Dragonheart
09-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, I hooked the mold to a set of RCBS handles. They open and close easily...

But, as I mess with it now, I get a bit of misalignment with the pins. They will close completely, but there is a bit of "bump" when I close the mold. Not enough to wear them, but maybe it would be better to try the Lee if I can find some in the area or order the N.O.E. when they are in stock...

Always something...

Good-luck...BCB

Since the jaw thickness on the RCBS is thinner than either the Lee or NOE there is a lot of slop. In a pinch the RCBS will work, but it would rank way down my list.

Dragonheart
09-16-2015, 02:59 PM
I noticed some fine scratching on the top of your mold made by the sprue cutter. To remedy this, I always take my cutter off a new mold and buff the underside on a buffing wheel with white cake. Having small burrs where the sprue holes are drilled is very common in every manufacturer I have seen. Then I use just a little NOE sprue lube (a high temp lubricant) on the top of the mold and on the underside of the cutter, it makes a big difference in operation.

BCB
09-16-2015, 03:07 PM
I noticed some fine scratching on the top of your mold made by the sprue cutter. To remedy this, I always take my cutter off a new mold and buff the underside on a buffing wheel with white cake. Having small burrs where the sprue holes are drilled is very common in every manufacturer I have seen. Then I use just a little NOE sprue lube (a high temp lubricant) on the top of the mold and on the underside of the cutter, it makes a big difference in operation.

Yep, I notice them also...

I actually was hoping someone would mention them also--as you did...

I have a buffing wheel that I think you are describing. It goes on my bench grinder and it is very soft cotton or such. I am not familiar with the white cake. Would a super fine rubbing compound work?...

I have some sprue lube I got from N.E.I. molds...

Thanks...BCB

Dragonheart
09-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Yes, that is the type of cloth wheel I use. White cake is a very fine polishing compound that comes in sticks or blocks. it is used to put a mirror finish on stainless or regular steel. It can be purchased at Sears Hardware, online or wherever tool type items are sold. You load the wheel by just pushing the cake against a running cloth wheel until you get a buildup. There are a number of other grades of buffing compounds for different metals or the speed of the cut. I prefer the white as I use it to polish out a firearm to re-blue. I am sure if you have any other buffing/polishing compound it will work. You could also use a fine grade flat sharpening stone or some 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper laid of a flat surface like a machine table top or piece of glass. You can leave the underside of the cutter polished or you can re-blue it if you want. The heat of using the mold is going to blue it somewhat anyway. hope this helps.