PDA

View Full Version : Working up load for XD mod 2 .45, COL issue

40pa
09-11-2015, 10:03 AM
So I was going to start working on finding my COL on my new XD mod 2 by dropping a lead bullet into a fired case into the breech. What I found was that my Lee cast lead bullets do not go into fired brass easily, even when swaged to .452(most don't even give resistance to swaging, so they're dropping pretty close to .452). I have to jam the suckers into the brass with a little force. I am not sure these will give an accurate COL. Tried resized brass, no difference. I slugged the barrel, it measures .451. Could this be to a fairly small breech diameter? I have reloaded 9mm, and 40 before and my bullets have always gone into the brass fairly easily. Anybody else experience this?

44MAG#1
09-11-2015, 01:06 PM
It's funny how people will go at things.
First off if a dummy round loaded with your bullet will go into the chamber by falling in it is okay.
Next to determine your OAL load and seat the bullet into the case at a length you KNOW Is too long. Turn the flare on the case in almost straight so the cart. Will fall into the chamber and drop the cart. Into the chamber and turn the gun up. Will it fall out, probably not, if not seat the bullet slightly deeper and try it. When you have the OAL correct it will fall out by its own weight.
More complicated to describe than to do it. Just make sure the flare on the case doesn't interfere with the chamber is all.
This has worked for me for more years than I care to go into.
The KISS principle is the method to do most things unless one is trying to impress someone by trying look impressive by a lot of nonsensical mental and physical exercises.

40pa
09-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I am familiar with the process. My concern is more with the cast bullet not fitting into the fired brass. Never had this problem before.

44MAG#1
09-11-2015, 04:16 PM
If you size, bell the case and seat the bullet to the proper OAL and taper crimped properly will it chamber with some play between the chamber walls? If yes problem solved.

mjwcaster
09-14-2015, 02:39 AM
I haven't because I never really tried this.

Just load up some dummy rounds like normal and see if they chamber.

Brass has different spring back rates, even brass from the same lot/manufacturer.
This caused me some confusion when tracking down an issue with an oversized 9mm sizing die.
Some cases had decent case tension, others didn't, same lot of brass (at least same box of factory ammo, WWB) from the same gun, different fired case sizes.
My sizing die wasn't even touching them, so I guess I was inadvertently trying to seat bullets in 'as fired' brass.

You didn't say which Lee 452 mould you have, there is one (1R? never can remember) that has a fat Ogive and can give issues needing shorter COL in a gun with a tight throat.

XD's are notorious for having tight throats.

Something to possibly look out for when working up your load.

Now the 452-230-TC doesn't have this issue and runs fine in my XD, it's one of the round nose profiles that may have issues.

40pa
09-14-2015, 08:12 AM
I haven't because I never really tried this.

Just load up some dummy rounds like normal and see if they chamber.

Brass has different spring back rates, even brass from the same lot/manufacturer.
This caused me some confusion when tracking down an issue with an oversized 9mm sizing die.
Some cases had decent case tension, others didn't, same lot of brass (at least same box of factory ammo, WWB) from the same gun, different fired case sizes.
My sizing die wasn't even touching them, so I guess I was inadvertently trying to seat bullets in 'as fired' brass.

You didn't say which Lee 452 mould you have, there is one (1R? never can remember) that has a fat Ogive and can give issues needing shorter COL in a gun with a tight throat.

XD's are notorious for having tight throats.

Something to possibly look out for when working up your load.

Now the 452-230-TC doesn't have this issue and runs fine in my XD, it's one of the round nose profiles that may have issues.

Thanks for the reply. The lee mold I use is the 452-200rf. I specifically avoided the truncated cone because I bought some tc ammo that won't go into battery fully. That is how I found out about the tight throat on the xd. I have to load this lee bullet to the minimum oal. Maybe I'll try the TC mold.