PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever modify AJAX grips

218bee
04-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Just bought a set of Ajax polymer grips for my Blackhawk and they actually fit very well except for one spot. At the very back bottom of the grip frame, where if gun was on its side barrel pointing left the area I'm talking about would be the furthest right bottom where the frame comes down and starts going back to triggerguard. Man I can't figure how to descibe that but if you were holding gun to shoot it would be part of grip closest and lowest to ya. Anyway the grips come to more of a point at this area where the gripframe is more "rounded". And the grip panels feel "sharp" even though they are only sticking out maybe 1/16" past frame.
Wow what a long mixed up story to lead into a question.
So my question is what would you use to trim the grips down for a better fit, and these grips are the Buffalo Polymer (ie plastic) in a black color and I am wondering if the black is thru and thru or once I start modifying (butchering) is white or some other color going to come thru. I'm thinking someone here must have played around with these grips for a better fit and wanted some experience before I attack them. They actually look real sharp on the revolver so I hope I can correct this one area.Appreciate the help guys

EMC45
04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I would think they pour them, so I believe they are the same color through and through. Funny story though, I got a set of J frame grips that were oversized and I wanted to trim them down so I get to it and the figuring on the wood started to sand away. It was painted on!!!!

scrapcan
04-03-2008, 02:08 PM
I adjusted the fit of a set of buffalo polymer for a new model vaquero last fall. I just used the technique you would use to fit a set of wood grips. You ahve to go slow, as they say you can't put it back on. at the end I used finer and finer sanding like on wood grips or a rofle stock. I then used a buffer and very light pressure for short periods of time to polish and match to rest of grip panel. Color is through and through on the set that I fit.

So the short answer is yes it can be done and is not too difficult, just go slow.

218bee
04-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info guys...I had e-mailed Ajax also and they assured me the color is thru-and-thru. Suggested I use sandpaper and when done polish with jewelers rouge. I,m sure I can mess it up......[smilie=1:

KCSO
04-03-2008, 04:35 PM
If you polish with a wheel use a slow speed and go light as they burn pretty easy.

Lloyd Smale
04-05-2008, 06:58 AM
ive done it to white ajaxs with no problem