PDA

View Full Version : Update on returned Marlin

hpdrifter
09-10-2015, 09:19 PM
I don't know if some of ya'll remember, but I had pictures of a deformed barrel on a new Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

The discussion and pictures are here:your thoughts please (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?273966-your-thoughts-please)

I finally got it back. Rem.....er, uh, Marlin put a new barrel on it.

I included pictures and an explanation in the box, but they must have used that for toilet paper.

They said that they thought it had a nick on the muzzle and tried to lap it out. Still have poor accuracy. Said I couldn't agree more, but the bad spot is underneath the stamping. Of course, I was speaking to a representative and he "didn't know what the shop had found".

Finally, after 14 or so weeks they decided it needed a new barrel.

This is smooth and seems to shoot ok. I haven't shot a lot, about 4 rounds, my backstop needs a little mending. Those 4570's really tear up the dirt.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, they did good, a little slow and reluctant, but good.

Scharfschuetze
09-11-2015, 01:23 AM
Glad you got it back and it's now up to snuff.

I returned a Model 1895 to Marlin perhaps 20 years ago. Its bore was drilled off center at the muzzle and of course I could just barely zero it for deflection. I got it back in less than two weeks with a new barrel that was drilled straight. Odd that the original barrel was slightly more accurate than the straight barrel, but hey, it zeros up just fine now and still shoots pretty well.

FergusonTO35
09-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Almost every new Remlin I've seen has had minor but very irritating defects. Usually wood that's too fat or barrel canted to the left or right. I'm not sure that Remlin would even be willing to correct those. I'm sticking to Henry for new lever actions.

Ed in North Texas
09-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Not trying to be contrary, I really want to assess the situation before I go shopping. How many rifles did you inspect, over what period of time and what was the problem rifle percentage? We know there were problems initially, is the current production still problematic (or do you have current experience)? Is the percentage of problems getting better, or remaining the same?

If you are inspecting rifles at a local dealer, is he moving stock, or are these early production problem rifles which he hasn't sold? This goes to the issue of are the problems being fixed at the factory and getting better. How do we tell if we have production over a longer period of time, or early production stuck on the dealer's racks?

Thanks for your input.

txbirdman
09-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Ed,
Maybe I can give you some info on new production at least on the '94 in 44 Mag. About a year ago I took a "JM" 1894C to the Remington/Marlin service rep. With XS sights it was impossible to adjust the windage enough to even sight in the gun. He said the receiver was drilled off center and would have to be trashed. Remington agreed but they haven't produced an 1894C since who knows when. Finally it became obvious to me that I'd better go ahead and take one of the 1894's in .44 Mag. I received that rifle last week and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the overall quality. I was very skeptical about the gun but with a very limited amount of shooting it seems to be quite accurate. Of course the forend is too wide for my taste but the over all fit finish and wood suits me fine. Right now it's action is a little stiff but that's to be expected. This Remlin certainly beats the JM I had with the shoddy workmanship.

hpdrifter
09-13-2015, 07:03 PM
I have to say that my 35Rem rifle was well put together. Fit and finish was fine. The stock where the tang widens was just a bit short of meeting that step, but just by a few thousands. I've had lots worse fitted firearms. Just the barrel escaped QC, but they rectified that.

Still think I'm done with Remington, Marlin, and their cousins; unless of course I run across something I just can't live without.:roll:

pietro
09-13-2015, 07:30 PM

Current QC problems that involve different rifle makers (Remlin isn't the only one) make me more than satisfied with my decision of years ago, to own older rifles only.

FergusonTO35
09-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Ed, the rifles I have been looking at are found at the busiest gun shop between Lexington and Louisville, he does sell alot of lever actions so none of them had been there for more than a couple of months. I go there a few times a month and always look at the lever action section. The Remlins have been getting better over the last year but they still have a ways to go. I wouldn't pass up a good deal on one if I could personally inspect it but I'm still not convinced they have their act together.

hpdrifter
09-14-2015, 05:44 PM

Current QC problems that involve different rifle makers (Remlin isn't the only one) make me more than satisfied with my decision of years ago, to own older rifles only.

I can certainly agreee with that. Even the Ruger Blackhawks seem to have gone downhill.

El Bango
09-24-2015, 02:06 AM
I hate to say it but most manufacturers seem to be really turning out slipshod products today.It will never happen but I would like to see a lever gun built by CZ. That might be kinda special.

runfiverun
09-24-2015, 11:53 AM
I'd like to see that too.

something I never thought I'd say during a duck and cover drill......

USMC Vet
09-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Bought a new Remlin mod. 94 in 44 mag. last April. After getting the rifle home & giving it a good cleaning, I noticed the bore had small chunks of the rifling missing. (this is the original factory barrel). Had my dealer return the rifle to Marlin. Several weeks later, the rifle was returned, stating the bbl. was replaced. Got the rifle home, cleaned & inspected it. Bore was oversize at .433 plus, & had heavy tool marks the entire length of the bore. Returned it to Marlin again. After several weeks, rifle was returned stating bbl. replaced & test fired. Cleaned & inspected again.
Bbl. had been replaced, but still had oversize bore, & again exhibited heavy tool marks in the bore. By now, I've had it with this Marlin. Traded it towards a steel Henry in 45-70, & never looked back. I've been a Marlin fan & owner for years, but no more. Until Marlin can show me that they can turn out a quality product, I'll avoid them like the plague. I hope others have better luck than I. Just my .oo2c
USMC Vet

FergusonTO35
09-25-2015, 12:58 PM
I'm planning to add some Henry centerfires to the herd. I'm glad that Henry hasn't tried to fight price wars by cheapening their products. This is never a good strategy for the future, I believe it was the largest factor in the demise of H&R, Winchester, and Marlin. That said I wouldn't mind having one of the laminate/parkerized Remlin 336's. I think that is a sharp look for a working rifle.