PDA

View Full Version : Oops

Half Dog
09-10-2015, 05:21 PM
IDK...

I do not recognize this part. I recently exchanged the barrels of my TC and later I found this part on the carpet where I exchanged the barrels.

Does this part look familiar to anyone? If so, where does it go?

fouronesix
09-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Looks like a hand assembly off some kind of single action revolver.

dubber123
09-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Got a Marlin lever gun missing a ejector? I bet you do.

Half Dog
09-10-2015, 05:56 PM
You sir...are absolutely correct. It seems to go on the other side of the bolt from the ejector but I'm not sure of its function. Please explain.

I've just gotta say WOW and thanks.

fouronesix
09-10-2015, 06:02 PM

Good call! Certainly looks like an ejector (with spring) from Marlin 95 or other similar lever gun.
Here's a link that shows where it goes. http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar185.htm

Doc Highwall
09-10-2015, 06:12 PM
It prevents the bolt from rotating and is also the ejector.

Half Dog
09-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Thank you all for your help. The part has found its home and is happy.

Now if I can get over the oops, things will be OK.

dubber123
09-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Thank you all for your help. The part has found its home and is happy.

Now if I can get over the oops, things will be OK.

Betcha can't guess how I knew what it was so quickly ;)

Half Dog
09-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Paid the preacher last Sunday?

dubber123
09-10-2015, 09:02 PM
I think it was last year. One of those "tip the gun over, clink, what was that?" moments.. :)

John Taylor
09-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Been there, done that, more than once.

oldred
09-13-2015, 11:07 AM
Now wait just a cotton pickin minute here, how the dickins do you guys "find" these little parts? Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that I drop falls into that bottomless hole that is always just in front of my feet never to be seen again! I have lost several small items, mostly gun parts over the years, when I was fully aware that they had been dropped! I recently lost a spring that was probably bigger than that extractor and that was on a concrete floor in my shop/garage, I honestly think if I dropped a dang barrel I would probably never see it again! :mad:

claude
09-13-2015, 12:40 PM
It seems to go on the other side of the bolt from the ejector

No, the part in question is the ejector, it goes on the opposite side of the bolt from the extractor, and ejects the extracted shell out of the action, that is why it is called an ejector.

John Taylor
09-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Now wait just a cotton pickin minute here, how the dickins do you guys "find" these little parts? Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that I drop falls into that bottomless hole that is always just in front of my feet never to be seen again! I have lost several small items, mostly gun parts over the years, when I was fully aware that they had been dropped! I recently lost a spring that was probably bigger than that extractor and that was on a concrete floor in my shop/garage, I honestly think if I dropped a dang barrel I would probably never see it again! :mad:
With a shop floor like mine that always has chips from the mill or lathe, if I drop something small I go get a new one because it is less expensive than looking for the one I dropped. A few years back I was making a very small screw (1-72) and as I was parting it off I did not catch it and it went into the chip pan. There was a fellow watching and when I started making another screw without looking for the one that dropped he questioned why I didn't look for the other one. I started laughing because the screw was the smallest piece in the chip pan.

Half Dog
09-14-2015, 04:11 PM
Well... I was appreciating my 30-30 a few weeks prior but I did not realize a part was missing. I just happened to be barefooted when I found the part. I'll have to pay the preacher x2 next time.

John Allen
09-14-2015, 04:33 PM
That looks like a marlin to me.

Beerd
09-16-2015, 10:24 PM
I think that whoever knew the answer to this at first glance has been at this hobby too long!

Pumpkinheaver
09-16-2015, 10:33 PM
That is exactly what I thought when I saw it. Good call.

fast ronnie
09-17-2015, 01:53 AM
There's a black hole in the floor of my shop. Even if the part in question happens to be in my hand at the time, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for until I no longer need it. (Like after I made another one!!!!!!) Old age and dim eyes maybe? At least something seems to be dim?

oldred
09-17-2015, 05:23 AM
There's a black hole in the floor of my shop. Even if the part in question happens to be in my hand at the time, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for until I no longer need it. (Like after I made another one!!!!!!) Old age and dim eyes maybe? At least something seems to be dim?

Last night I was working on my HighWall and needed my feeler gauges, go to the toolbox to get them, return to the work bench and my cat is sitting there (as usual!) wanting her dinner, feed the cat and sit down at the bench, now let's see here where was I? Ok, feeler gauges now where are they? I must have made a half dozen trips retracing my steps looking for those %#$* feeler gauges, finally gave up and got out an old slightly rusted, oily and wrinkled set I have and used those, maybe the good set will turn up today or maybe not but in any case this thread kept running through my mind! It's not ten feet from toolbox to my work bench and I never went anywhere else, even the cat food is in a small fridge under my bench so I never left the area even when I fed the cat so I know the darn thing must be within reach or nearly so from where I was working! Ah, well maybe today I will find the dang thing, then maybe not!

Edward
09-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Check the cat box!

oldred
09-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Check the cat box!

Believe it or not I actually did that and I even looked in the fridge!

Col4570
09-19-2015, 02:22 AM
A dropped part nearly always hits your Boot and goes far under the bench,usualy at critical time when you have several jobs on the go and running out of time.I might issue the neighbours with Earplugs one of these days.Yes that is an Extractor,missed a few out when assembling in my time.

DeputyDog25
09-19-2015, 02:26 AM
Well, now I know what that part is in case I ever take my Marlin apart.

Roundball
09-24-2015, 06:56 AM
A friend have given me a Kel-Tec .380. I was exploring this little handgun when the ejector fell out. I looked all over and under etc. etc. No ejector. Weeks later what should turn up but this ejector. The little part was in the geographic center of the little loading room. In the meantime a new ejector-plus an extra-had been ordered. Also undid Bubba's modifications at the same time. All this gave me time to study on this lost problem. All things are in orbit in this cosmos. Some move much faster in their orbit. Therefore these little parts move into the singularity an out more quickly. As a result it is pointless to look for these things-they will pass us again as they move through their orbit. I have studied this problem many times.

John Taylor
09-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Some will undoubtedly come up with a math formula that will help us find lost parts. In the mean time I will continue to use a broom and look for the part among the chips.