PDA

View Full Version : Tom Ballard, Mouldmaker

Bent Ramrod
09-10-2015, 03:27 AM
I recently came into possession of a mould marked "TOM BALLARD." It is an adjustable single cavity nose pour done up using Lyman large single cavity blocks. It looks like he started with a blank set of blocks rather than recutting a Lyman mould; at least there are no numbers on the blocks but the factory assembly numbers and his own hand-stamped caliber.

I've seen some references to his moulds in BPCR articles and books from the 90's, but he seems to have dropped out of sight. He lives in Montana, evidently.

Does anybody have any info on this guy? His workmanship appears to be top notch. I hope to cast with the mould soon.

waksupi
09-10-2015, 11:14 AM
I don't know if Tom is still alive, or not. I used to shoot with him, and share a trade blanket with him over 30 years ago. He wasn't a spring chicken even back then. He did do good work.

country gent
09-10-2015, 11:29 AM
While I didnt know M Tom Ballard, I have used a couple of his moulds and restored one that had picked up a few dings thru shipping for a gentleman on here. He did use lyman large locks normally blanks and the quality crafstmanship were very very good. It was an honor to restore the one back to useable shape. Using them you feel the solidness and quality. The ones I have seen had a thicker prue plate than lyman uses also. He may have made them also. The onesI have worked with were adjustable paper patched 45 cal moulds.

Bent Ramrod
09-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Thanks, guys. This one is a grease groove design; sort of a flat nosed Loverin in .44 caliber. I think I'll see how it casts tomorrow.

country gent
09-10-2015, 09:29 PM
If it is the normal ballard mould quality, you will be impressed with how easy it casts and how consistant it is. One trick I have used on older moulds and special moulds is to set them on a flat rail ( edge of my paint tray or a edge of angle iron sitting there for the porpose) this helps "pre alighn" the pins when closing it up. I do this with all my custom and "special" moulds.