PDA

View Full Version : shooting .44 round ball

loudog
09-09-2015, 10:48 PM
Has anyone tried shooting a muzzleloader round ball out of a .44 or any cal. revolver?? sitting around the campfire this weekend and got to taking about reloading and the topic of reloading a round ball came up and all the possibilities.
has anyone attempted this?

EDK
09-10-2015, 05:49 PM
This topic comes up from time to time. One of the more popular ideas is to coat a round ball will LEE LIQUID ALOX or BENS LIQUID LUBE and run it through a sizing die to proper diameter and then lube again. It becomes a very light for caliber round nose...on either end...with some bearing surface on the rifling.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-10-2015, 09:34 PM
I've cast .45" RB and loaded them in Schofield brass. They shot well out of my Colt's SAA but hit too low for the fixed sighted gun.

Bill*B
09-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Round balls are fun, but be careful - they do bounce! I shot a black powder revolver at a tree once, and the bullet bounced right back and hit me! I wasn't harmed - but was astonished. Stupid me, I fired a second shot at the same tree - and that bullet hit me too!

SSGOldfart
09-11-2015, 12:02 AM
Round balls are fun, but be careful - they do bounce! I shot a black powder revolver at a tree once, and the bullet bounced right back and hit me! I wasn't harmed - but was astonished. Stupid me, I fired a second shot at the same tree - and that bullet hit me too!
Yep you can't fix stupid can you

James Wisner
09-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Look up the reloading data for the 44 Spl, and 44 Mag in the Speer # 10 reloading manual.
They top out at 500 fps in the Spl, and 575 fps in the Mag.

I have killed a LOT of grouse with those round balls in the 44 Spl over the years.
Quiet enough it is hard to hear someone shoot 75 yds away in the timber.

J Wisner

blackpowder man
09-12-2015, 10:56 PM
I've shot quite a few in .30, .38, .44, and .45. I found unique worked best for me. In a .44 mag lever with a 24" barrel they are as or more quiet than a .22 and really accurate to 50 yards. My marlin cowboy limited in .45 even cycles them if you don't get to excited with the lever. I use .433 round balls in the .44 tossed in lee alox cut with jpw and anhydrous lanolin. Not near my notes now, but it seems like somewhere around 6 grains of unique with ball seated past it's center line and crimped.

root
09-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Yup shot a few here and there over the years just to do it. Accuracy was so so but it works.
I think the BP pistol was/is more accurate due to the ring that is shaved off when the RB is seated in the cylinder causing a flat spot for the rifling to ride and less lead shearing.

Rich

Blackwater
09-13-2015, 04:55 PM
BTW, Lee has made and may still make, a mold for RB's in .433". I have one of these, but have yet to use it. I'd like to hear of your results when you git'r did, though. Good post. Hasn't been covered in quite a while, unless memory fails me.

OnHoPr
09-13-2015, 08:17 PM

Yep you can't fix stupid can you

I'm GLAD I wasn't sipping on my coffee, there would of been a mess. ROFLMAO

WRideout
09-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Just for grins, I loaded a .311 round ball for my Nagant revolver, over 2.0 gr Red Dot. It is actually pretty fair, accuracy-wise. LLA lube. Good for kids.

Wayne

Mytmousemalibu
09-16-2015, 10:03 PM
I've done .360 round balls for .380acp and 9mm but not sized. Left unsized/as dropped. Sized i was getting gas cutting. I have started coating them with PC and they do good. Launched with a lite charge of Titegroup and they feed and cycle in my autoloaders.

nockhunter
09-17-2015, 11:30 PM

That's funny, I guess you're a slow learner. I would have done the same thing. "Did that just bounce off of that tree, let me try again, yup it did"

Mike

Thumbcocker
09-18-2015, 09:06 AM
.433 rb acww LLA 4-5 grns red dot. Use unsized brass. May get a bit of primer backing out due to low pressure. Fun but kind of a PITA in the grand sachem of things. Got best accuracy with the ball seated real deep.

Geezer in NH
09-20-2015, 04:33 PM
I shoot .380/.375 RB and 451/.454 RB out of my revolvers and can say they don't bounce back unless I use less than 10 grains of 3fffg :bigsmyl2: