PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'm done hunting ducks.

Harter66
09-09-2015, 02:41 PM
I got this email just a few minutes ago .
Looks like A a cost savings plan ,or B a sneaky backdoor work around ..... C I'll pick up Willco's tin hat on my way to the closet with mine.....

Trouble viewing this email? Read it online

Big Changes Coming for Federal Migratory Bird and Conservation Stamp

The Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) has joined 17 other States in the new US Fish and Wildlife Service’s (USFWS) Electronic Federal Duck Stamp Program this year.

The program will bring several changes including making the Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp (Federal Duck Stamp) an electronic stamp privilege. Once purchased the electronic privilege is valid for 45 days to allow for receipt of the physical Federal Duck Stamp in the mail from the USFWS. With this temporary stamp privilege printed on the license, the holder may hunt waterfowl under the same authority as if he or she is in possession of the actual physical stamp.

You can purchase your electronic Federal Duck Stamp privilege at the NDOW Online Consumer site (www.ndowlicensing.com), at NDOW offices and most license agents. In participating in this program with the USFWS the physical stamp will no longer be available at NDOW offices or NDOW license agents that sold them in the past. However, most US post offices will continue to sell the physical stamp.

Earlier this year, Congress also approved a fee increase for the Federal stamp. Beginning this year those who purchase the stamp in Nevada will pay $27. For assistance, contact NDOW’s License Office at toll free 855-542-6369.

The Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) protects, restores and manages fish and wildlife, and promotes fishing, hunting, and boating safety. NDOW’s wildlife and habitat conservation efforts are primarily funded by sportsmen’s license and conservation fees and a federal surcharge on hunting and fishing gear. Support wildlife and habitat conservation in Nevada by purchasing a hunting, fishing, or combination license. Find us on Facebook, Twitter or visit us at www.ndow.org.

Nevada Department of Wildlife
1100 Valley Road
Reno Nevada 89512
United States

This little hike raises my pre opening day cost to $133 for permission to hunt small,upland game and ducks if I draw a deer tag .... I guess I'm going to need a better paying job or to get the trip state lottery numbers right .....

runfiverun
09-09-2015, 02:47 PM
the duck stamp went up from 27 to 45$ you can just buy them at the post office.
that stopped me from buying one and going hunting this year right there.
45 bucks is more than I would have spent on gas to go duck hunting the entire year.

starmac
09-09-2015, 02:59 PM
We sometimes have a problem getting them at all. When I bought my license this year they weren't even available yet, but if you wait too long, everybody in town runs out of them too.
I tend to not hunt ducks, but used to buy them to support the game dept, but that way of thinking is changeing. Our hunting (residential) license) is not that bad price wise. I think it was 72 bucks this year for hunting,fishing, and trapping license, including a king stamp I think. It covers small game, deer,bear,moose and caribou, unless you put in for some special permit hunts.

quilbilly
09-09-2015, 03:12 PM
The problem here is that most post offices rarely have enough (or any) duck stamps in the three weeks before the season. Often hunters have to drive over 100 miles to find a post office that has even one. It took my hunting partner over a week to find even one stamp to go on his first duck hunt with me. He is hooked now so plans ahead. Now that you mention it, we have an early goose season lasting a week that starts next week so I better start my hunt for a stamp today to get a shot at those Canadas flying over my front yard at treetop level in the morning. $45 is a real deterrent but fortunately, it is only three miles to where I launch the kayak for duck hunting. Lots of local pintails and teal out there now.

cabezaverde
09-09-2015, 03:22 PM
I just bought my Federal stamp. It was $25, up from $15. Where is the $45 coming from?

ole 5 hole group
09-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Must be a State stamp, as the Federal Duck Stamp is as you said - $25.00 up from $15.00 last year.

dakotashooter2
09-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I have gone to buying my licenses online anyway so it's really not an issue. It's kind of nice when at 10 pm someone decides they would like to go hunting with you in the morning and you can jump on the puter and get the licenses you need online and print them out.

Harter66
09-09-2015, 06:57 PM
It was 10 and 15 last year for the state and fed .

$36 for hunting licenses
$10 for upland
$10 for small game
$10 for state ds
$25 for fed ds
$15 to apply for a deer tag and each separate hunt for big game
$25 more if you draw 1 elk ,sheep ,antelope and mtn goat are more.
$ 3 for this 2 for that ..........
That's $70 I can spend on 2k primers/1k caps or a new NOE. It's time to give the deKS to a younger hunter anyway .

It's too bad ducks & geese were the hunting I most enjoy. There's always the goose slaughter in Arkansas after hours........

quilbilly
09-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Got my federal stamp this afternoon which was $25. State stamp is $16.50. I chatted briefly with out local Postmistress about the stamps. Each post office has to buy theirs in advance and apparently there is no refund from the USFWS if not all are sold. Any unsold stamps have to be "eaten" by the local post office since it is illegal to sell them even to collectors after the end of the season. That is quite a financial risk for a service to the community. Anyway, she buys 20 each year and last year sold 19 (we are a small town and all the duck hunters know each other so if you hunt the tide flats on weekends, expect good natured guffaws if you miss a "gimme"). No wonder retailers and states don't sell the federal stamps.

Teddy (punchie)
09-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Just got my e-stamp this last Sunday. Cost was 25.00 for stamp and a handling mailing charge of I think $ 2.70.

Total for Regular Lic. and Migatury Stamp , plus Duck Stamp was 55.00 + .

I think PA is working on a State Stamp to. You think they would have all the funds they need for the Gas (oil) Plays here in PA.

trapper9260
09-09-2015, 08:23 PM
I gave up duck and goose, because I have to go to far to hunt them and also for the time that the season is open I am hunting other game or the trapping season is going on.Back east i did some , but end up trap more then waterfowl hunting.I stick with small game and deer and then trapping for how things are for me.I use to duck hunt when it was lead shot before they change it to non lead.I have some M T hulls of 12ga that say duck and pheasant on them still.I reload my own shotgun hulls beside rifle and handgun.

MT Gianni
09-09-2015, 08:46 PM
It was 10 and 15 last year for the state and fed .

$36 for hunting licenses
$10 for upland
$10 for small game
$10 for state ds
$25 for fed ds
$15 to apply for a deer tag and each separate hunt for big game
$25 more if you draw 1 elk ,sheep ,antelope and mtn goat are more.
$ 3 for this 2 for that ..........
That's $70 I can spend on 2k primers/1k caps or a new NOE. It's time to give the deKS to a younger hunter anyway .

It's too bad ducks & geese were the hunting I most enjoy. There's always the goose slaughter in Arkansas after hours........

If it is the hunting you enjoy most the cost is now less than a dinner for two [$35 for the St and Fed stamps].
Nothing is what it used to be but I would not give up something I love for the cost of a cheap dinner out.

OnHoPr
09-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Jeeeez that's getting eckspensive for waterfowl. It must be for all the pilaf and pasta for the gov BS BS management degrees from our education price hikes. I guess you buy them then they print them. Must be a dying breed there as well and not many of the greenies buying them for there actual purpose. I remember DU (mostly US based) use to give Canada 30 - 60 million a year back in the late '70s and early '80s to monitor nesting grounds and such. It must be way up there in funds for this era. I seen a few years ago where the snow geese numbers were so high that they were eating up all the mid Canada tundra. Must be some good management going on there. Maybe they are using a google maps type of program to determine how to manage the waterfowl.

Harter66
09-09-2015, 09:05 PM
My Ms hunts too so that doubles .

I don't know who I'm kidding I'm still going to hunt them but I will probably have to give something up like a couple of dinners out .

Fishman
09-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Jeeeez that's getting eckspensive for waterfowl. It must be for all the pilaf and pasta for the gov BS BS management degrees from our education price hikes. I guess you buy them then they print them. Must be a dying breed there as well and not many of the greenies buying them for there actual purpose. I remember DU (mostly US based) use to give Canada 30 - 60 million a year back in the late '70s and early '80s to monitor nesting grounds and such. It must be way up there in funds for this era. I seen a few years ago where the snow geese numbers were so high that they were eating up all the mid Canada tundra. Must be some good management going on there. Maybe they are using a google maps type of program to determine how to manage the waterfowl.

Come again?

Bad Water Bill
09-10-2015, 03:36 AM
Here in Illinois I have bought the SPORTSMANS (HUNTING AND FISHING) license each year for many years.

No place to hunt as the farmers now refuse to let you enter their property and it has been at least 4o years since I could find a place to hunt birds or bunnies.

Now in my feeble OLD age I say why waste money.

white eagle
09-10-2015, 06:05 AM
cost of folly is all
guess if you want to play you need to pay

Hickory
09-10-2015, 06:34 AM
No matter what you pay for license, it's cheaper than a fine.

ole 5 hole group
09-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Here in Illinois I have bought the SPORTSMANS (HUNTING AND FISHING) license each year for many years.

No place to hunt as the farmers now refuse to let you enter their property and it has been at least 4o years since I could find a place to hunt birds or bunnies.

Now in my feeble OLD age I say why waste money.

I think that is the way it is in most, if not all, States located in the upper mid-west. You have to pay to take a walk-about on their property.

Not many guys can afford to take their youngsters pheasant hunting these days unless you have family owning some land with a few birds on the land. Deer hunting is the same way. Public land is all there is and most older & middle-aged guys are slowly giving it up, as it just doesn't seem to be as "friendly" as it was, just a short 20 years ago.

Hardcast416taylor
09-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Been hearing shotguns being fired about 7 A.M. on the N side of a 100 acre woods by my place this week. It is either early season goose hunters or another neighbor that never buys a license and hunts anyway!Robert

starnbar
09-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Hey you need to move down to Florida after 65 its all free and you don't need the quota hunt permit either. That includes fresh and salt water fishing migratory birds turkey ducks and small game regular hunts modern firearms bow and muzzleloader.

dragon813gt
09-10-2015, 02:53 PM
I haven't bought my stamp yet this year. I don't remember the last time I actually went. I pay for the migratory bird license and stamp every year w/ the hopes of using it. A coworker tries to get me to go all the time. Life always gets in the way :(

starmac
09-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Hey you need to move down to Florida after 65 its all free and you don't need the quota hunt permit either. That includes fresh and salt water fishing migratory birds turkey ducks and small game regular hunts modern firearms bow and muzzleloader.

How does that work, the duck stamp is federal, to the best of my knowlege, Ak does not charge anything for it, but we still have to pay the feds.

starnbar
09-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Please note that a Florida Waterfowl Permit is already included in the following licenses: Disabled Resident’s Hunting/Fishing License, Sportsman’s License, 64 and Older Sportsman’s License, Gold Sportsman’s License, Military Gold Sportsman’s License, Lifetime Sportsman’s License, and Lifetime Hunting License.
Exemptions:
The following persons are exempt from the hunting license, migratory bird permit, and Florida waterfowl permit requirements:
Florida residents 65 years of age or older
Florida residents who are members of the United States Armed Forces and not stationed in this state, while home on leave for 30 days or less (upon submission of orders)
Children age 15 and younger (also exempt from Federal Duck Stamp)
Persons hunting in the county of their residency on their homestead or homestead of their spouse or minor child, or minor children hunting on the homestead of their parent
Holders of a Disabled Resident’s Hunting/Fishing

OnHoPr
09-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Hey Starmac, how is the brant hunting up there in AK? Sorry if this a highjack post, but it just cross my mind. In MI we have all kinds of species with the great lakes and Hudson bay to the north, so there is a want to harvest one of each species instead of just mallards, teal, bluebills, and woodies. The pacific flyway has a few different species than the central flyway.

Harter66
09-10-2015, 07:13 PM
When I was in Baja there were 10s of 1000s of brant all winter , 20 yr ago .

I took a white wing scoter about 15 yr ago and a friend said he had taken an harlequin eider about that same time . We're right in the bend of the NV/Ca border in Nv . If you go North East about 50 miles it is almost all puddle ducks ,here it is mostly divers . They upped the snow limits but I'm yet to see flocks to justify it ......

starmac
09-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Hey Starmac, how is the brant hunting up there in AK? Sorry if this a highjack post, but it just cross my mind. In MI we have all kinds of species with the great lakes and Hudson bay to the north, so there is a want to harvest one of each species instead of just mallards, teal, bluebills, and woodies. The pacific flyway has a few different species than the central flyway.

Sorry, I can't really say. One of my favorite fishing holes has some great duck hunting, and I mean great going by the numbers I see out there this time of year. There are a few cabins out there complete with boats that they rent duck hunters and fly them in, but I mostly see mallards, but have not hunted ducks out there or really paid a lot of attention to them other than jumping them off the water while out there.

SSGOldfart
09-10-2015, 09:51 PM
I just bought my Federal stamp. It was $25, up from $15. Where is the $45 coming from?
Same here in Texas they print it on your license and then mail the stamp.

CLAYPOOL
09-11-2015, 12:37 AM
Dear BAD WATER BILL: Attention move SOUTH in ILLINOIS...! You are much TOO close to Chi - Town.