PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning reloading dies?

tranders
09-09-2015, 07:49 AM
How does everyone clean their reloading dies?

I was going to use brake cleaner, but was curious if I should re oil or leave dry?

Thanks

dudel
09-09-2015, 08:23 AM
I clean my sizing dies with a bore brush wrapped in a patch with bore solvent. I don't oil them afterwards (unless they are Lee's, in which case the outside gets a light wipe down with an oily rag to prevent surface rust). Lee Carbide Crimp Dies, get the same treatment as sizing dies. The seating die get taken apart and lube and lead get cleaned off the seater stem (only an issue with Boolits). Have not found the need to clean the non Lee crimp dies.

lightman
09-09-2015, 08:42 AM
I use a bore mop with bore cleaner or a shotgun bore brush, if needed. A shot of brake cleaner, carb cleaner or electrical contact cleaner also helps to cut the gunk. I do use a light coat of oil when I'm finished with them.

country gent
09-09-2015, 08:49 AM
I have several short rods (2"-3") made from 1/4" brass round stock. iuse a nylon brush and cleaning patches with bore solvent to clean dies inside. I isassemble dies and the brush with solvent. Then a patch wrapped aroundbrush until clean patches appear. Then a patch wrapped aroundbrush with sizing lube ( imperial sizing die wax here) to apply a light coat inside. This protects from rust and also helps pre lube the die saving a stuck case later on. On dies with heavy build ups I my even use some JB Bore cleaner after a good soaking and cleaning. Th short non rotating rods are usefull alot of places. A flie handle 5-6" 1/4" brass round stock ( you need some extra to go in the file handle to hold it in) with a 8-32 hole drilled in one end. I have several made up now as they are so handy for odd stuff.

Ickisrulz
09-09-2015, 09:26 AM
I use pistol cleaning rod and Eezox. I use a heat gun to remove any build up of lube.

sliphammer
09-09-2015, 10:38 AM
I use Hoppes to clean the size and seating die the put a dab of Imperial wax on the expander ball

sparky45
09-09-2015, 11:12 AM
I use my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner.

ukrifleman
09-09-2015, 12:03 PM
WD40
ukrifleman

tranders
09-09-2015, 12:21 PM
I didn't even think about using bore cleaner. Great idea!

I've been using Ed's Red. Will that be ok?

country gent
09-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Just about any solvent will work, Eds Red should be fine just be sure to dry and remove it or any solvents from standard or rifle dies as it may degrade case lubes on the first few cases. Like cleaning a rifle bore fit is important to cleaning a snug fit to scour clean and remove crud is important.

tranders
09-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Great! Thank you all for the excellent suggestions.

bangerjim
09-09-2015, 12:46 PM
With PC, there is no buildup to clean out. No grease here.

So my answer is......nothing.......cleaning is not needed. Even after MANY thousands of rounds.

bangerjim

tranders
09-09-2015, 01:22 PM
I'm sorry,but what is PC ?

NavyVet1959
09-09-2015, 01:30 PM
I wipe down the outsides with mineral oil to help minimize surface rust on any of my dies or L.E. Wilson shell holders. I notice surface rust more on the L.E. Wilson shell holders more than on the dies for some reason though. Maybe the alloy? Maybe because I'm touching them more?

Maximumbob54
09-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Speaking of build up, I was shocked when I went to Powder Coating (PC) that my Lee push through sizing dies were full of lead. They didn't look like it to shine a light through them. I thought I was at first shaving the coating off. I have no idea how they were sizing before and coming out the correct diameter. The PC seemed to just slowly but surely smear the lead free until it stopped showing. I went so far as to wrap some copper Chore Boy around a brush and run it through a couple of them and sure enough...

bangerjim
09-09-2015, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry,but what is PC ?

Powder Coating.......the new world of processing our cast boolits! Do a search on here and sit back for a day or so and read the massive threads! I have not used grease in over 2 years and have no leading and no smoke.

banger

Char-Gar
09-09-2015, 02:55 PM
I use plain rubbing alcohol from the store. I used paper shop towels on a handgun cleaning rod. Gets them plenty clean and the alcohol evaporates leaving the dies clean and dry.

bedbugbilly
09-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Hoppes - bore brush-patch on cleaning rod - Q-tips -then I wipe lightly with oil rag

My worst are the die sets I use for my BP cartridges - primarily my seating and crimp dies. The BP lube can really gun up those dies so I'm careful when I finger lube the grooves prior to seating.

EDG
09-09-2015, 06:33 PM
I give them a shot of Birchwood Casey Barricade and then I clean them with a piece of T shirt wrapped around a worn out bore brush.
Most of my cleaning attention goes toward my FL sizing dies. If they get damaged by grit they will scratch the brass.

The bullet seater is usually is cleaned if it gums up with lube.

Jtarm
09-10-2015, 12:43 PM
RCBS sells a cleaning kit that includes a cleaner and rust preventative spray.

I haven't tried it but am curious about the rust preventative since I can't seem to keep rust spots off of my powder measure cylinder.

bkbville
09-10-2015, 01:31 PM
I clean with brake cleaner and rag strips that I pass thru the die. I don't oil them though, I store them with VCI strips in their cases.

dragon813gt
09-10-2015, 01:35 PM
If I have to clean them they are disassembled and then shot w/ brake cleaner. There are less toxic solvents but it takes a minimal amount and no time to clean them. After that they are run through the tumbler, individually, for a coat of NuFinish. The most I usually have to do is clean the seating stem. And that's quick and easy to do.

gwpercle
09-10-2015, 02:05 PM
I use a pistol rod, slotted tip and patch with whatever solvent, cleaner is near by. WD40, CLP, brake cleaner, Marvel Mystery Oil, ATF and acetone, kerosine, mineral spirits, ....it really doesn't take anything special to clean them. Use whatever is handy.
I have even used Windex in a pinch...Gary

flashhole
09-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Carb cleaner works great. You have to lightly lube after you clean it but it works great. So does acetone.

Pavogrande
09-14-2015, 04:29 AM
I use a pistol rod and kerosene if it is handy -- kerosene leave an oily enough residue to prevent rusting --

El Bango
09-25-2015, 01:11 AM
I use a brass brush if it's real nasty and then clean with a brass cleaning rod with a clean patch and wet with acetone. The acetone will dry almost immediately.Your lubed cases will be sufficient for sizing without overlubing.

troyboy
09-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Ed's red. Every time after using the resizing die. Sometimes the seater depending on the type of projectiles used. I use Lee's resizing lube mixed with alcohol and find it to attract moisture and rust develops inside the resizing die so hence my cleaning regime. The method used is much the same as a rifle or shotgun bore.

NuJudge
09-26-2015, 05:14 PM
The chief cause of a die of mine needing cleaning is Lee Liquid Alox lubed bullets in a Seat die. It accumulates until the bullets start being seated deeper. Most of the actual cleaning I do is with a small screw driver. The ability of the Dillon seat die to be disassembled for cleaning, without losing adjustment, makes it clearly superior.

The other lube I use a lot is 50% Beeswax/50% Alox 2138F. Some of it will build up in the Seat die. Again, most of the cleaning work is done with a screw driver.

zuke
10-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Toss'em in gasoline and go to work. Come home and fish'em out and lay on a rag. Go to work, get home and their dry. Inspect and use