PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 45-405 on Black Bear .450 Marlin

BwBrown
09-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Scored a New Brunswick black bear this evening with a cast powder coat boolit. Not huge, but I'm not embarrassed either. The trip from Pennsylvanis to Salmon River Bend Outfitters is a sort of retirement present to myself - my first "away hunt."

My RCBS 45-405 mold drops 'em at about 415gr, powder coated plus a gas check.
Backed by 36gr 4198, I think it is around 1500 plus fps, I don't have a chronograph, but the recoil is very mild.

My Browning BLR .450 Marlin barked, and simply pulled the dirt out from under him - DRT! I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.
Been reloading and casting nearly 50 years, but many thanks to all you guys who have unknowingly drug me into the world of the powder coated slug.
Bob;

white eagle
09-09-2015, 10:51 AM
congats on the bear,fun hunting ehh?
sounds like you hit him where it counts nothing beats a large hole in the rite spot
enjoy the meat some of the best there is

smoked turkey
09-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Great story Bob. Congratulations on a job very well done.Sounds like you retired in style. I think you deserved it too after a lifetime of hard work. I think your choice in caliber and boolit is perfect for a New Brunswick black bear. My son and I also got two New Brunswick black bear last spring. We had a great time. Beautiful country and a great outfitter. I used a 35 Whelen with a cast 3589 boolit. My particular bear went about 35 yards before giving up. My bear skin is due here any day. I am anxious to see it again!. As white eagle says, the meat from our spring bear is very good.

nockhunter
09-18-2015, 02:22 AM
450 Marlin Browning BLR, like the box magazine fed BLR?

Mike

nockhunter
09-18-2015, 02:35 AM
I was just on Brownings website and wow a BLR in .450 marlin. That's awesome, I never would have thunked it. Great job on the bear, people underestimate what a big hunk of lead will do. Velocity aint everything.

Mike

skeettx
09-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Here is a picture of the BLR.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/browning-blr-lightweight-81-lever-action-450-marlin-034009150-023614250067-20-barrel-pistol-grip-stock?a=1799295

BwBrown
09-29-2015, 11:12 PM
I have a real varied preference in my guns. When settling in on my BLR 450 Marlin, I decided on a straight grip stock. It just feels lighter when carrying it.

nockhunter
09-29-2015, 11:27 PM
I dig it!

Mike

OnHoPr
10-01-2015, 01:24 AM
Bravo on the bear and puttin a good thumpin on it. Is that Browning action the standard BLR action? If it is it will handle about 60K cup or so. Loaded up to the 450's full potential, that would make that rifle a smaller cannon, wouldn't it?

BwBrown
10-01-2015, 10:30 PM
It is the standard BLR, and most certainly could be loaded up into a real cannon. But I long ago stopped trying to prove my manhood - my 64+ year old messed up rotator cuff shoulder won't take it.
I use a very modest load, sending 420 grains of lead loping along around 1500fps, which will give most any critter standing up a reason to lay down. If the reloading manual can be relied upon, it should be around 45,000 cup.
When we were checking our scopes at the outfitter's range, my buddy, watching me shoot (after having just shot his 30-06) said, "That didn't look like it kicked at all!"
Beauty is as beauty does. That is one beautiful rifle/load combination - at least in my eyes.

OnHoPr
10-02-2015, 02:34 AM
Well BwBrown I was just wonderin. It sounds like a good load for deer & blackies. I shot my TC 209 encore with the Lee 440 with 70, 80, and 90 grs and the 70 & 80 gr loads were mild, so that is roughly something like the load you mentioned. A guy at the bench right neckst to me was shooting a 45-70 in a NEF with full house loads and it looked kinda demanding with the recoil. I was just contemplating that the rifle/cartridge combination would be very appropriate for the smaller dangerous African game loaded up to its full potential, like lion & leopard, maybe even hippo and possibly buffalo.

BwBrown
10-02-2015, 01:20 PM
"I was just contemplating that the rifle/cartridge combination would be very appropriate for the smaller dangerous African game loaded up to its full potential, like lion & leopard, maybe even hippo and possibly buffalo."

You are correct. That is the beauty of it. If I were going after something that might bite back, I'm going to load it full bore! But you are correct - the recoil is, for anyone who is being honest, pretty brutal. There was a time when I would puff up and take it like a man. The last couple decades, not so much. I would shoot them when I have to, but not a couple boxes at the range.

My other favorite deer cartridge is the .257 Roberts. On that one you have to keep velocity up so the (jacketed) bullet will expand to maybe a half inch in diameter, if everything goes well, in order to be effective in making a humane kill.
With these light 450 loads, you get total penetration that starts out and exits at nearly a half inch. Less meat damage, always surprising performance, light recoil, and my pretty powder coating with a shiny copper gas check on the bottom are always a conversation starter (I usually have one in my pocket just to show off - I should put one on my key chain!). The casting, coating, checking and loading are for me almost as much fun as hunting itself - especially when the weather is bad.
Bob;

glockmeister
10-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Bob, thanks for your story and information. Wow, very nice bear and your rifle is NICE. I retires in 2010, but will not be able to go on an ''away'' for family reasons, wife is confined to a wheelchair and needs a driver to go out and about, so I deer hunt close to home here in west central Mo. Take care, John.:coffeecom

missionary5155
10-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Greetings Bob and well done !
Nice photos of the Blackie ! I would be proud of him also.
Caliber 45 rifles make good bear rifles ! That 405 would be my choice also. Plenty big for most any Black Bruin.
Mike in Peru

taco650
10-06-2015, 08:09 AM
It is the standard BLR, and most certainly could be loaded up into a real cannon. But I long ago stopped trying to prove my manhood - my 64+ year old messed up rotator cuff shoulder won't take it.
I use a very modest load, sending 420 grains of lead loping along around 1500fps, which will give most any critter standing up a reason to lay down. If the reloading manual can be relied upon, it should be around 45,000 cup.
When we were checking our scopes at the outfitter's range, my buddy, watching me shoot (after having just shot his 30-06) said, "That didn't look like it kicked at all!"
Beauty is as beauty does. That is one beautiful rifle/load combination - at least in my eyes.

I was reading something just the other day written by Mike Venturio about the 45-70. The article talked about how over the years he's learned that you don't need to load to the max to get the job done. His comments on the 45-70 were that there's no animal in North America that can't be fully penetrated by a 400+ grain bullet going 1300-1500fps. He added that making them go faster just creates bigger dirt divots in the ground on the far side of the animal, even on a one ton Bison that was shot length-wise. As I get older (only 52) I find I'm loading down too. Just made some deer loads the other day for my 30-06: 150gr HDYSP going ~2700. Doesn't kick too much and nice accuracy at 100yds.

Congrats on the bear, will make a nice rug!

BwBrown
10-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words.
I read Shooting Times for years, Skeeter, Mike Venturino, the stories about Elmer Kieth and the big ol' 44. Also, I'd like to think I've mellowed some over the years. There's really no need to hot rod a gun to ear splitting, shoulder bruising, barrel eroding speeds.
I developed a mild load for my son in his 308 - been shooting that load since he was 12. He's in his 30's now. 150gr Hornady (or whatever) ambling along around 2300. It shoots about an inch and a half at 100yds. When it goes bang there will be meat in the pot - he's grown up to be a pretty fair shot.

Bazoo
10-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Nice story. I appreciate it. I'd like to do some bear hunting myself one day. Although, im not sure what gun i'd like to use.

BwBrown
10-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Bob, thanks for your story and information. Wow, very nice bear and your rifle is NICE. I retired in 2010, but will not be able to go on an ''away'' for family reasons, wife is confined to a wheelchair and needs a driver to go out and about, so I deer hunt close to home here
in west central Mo. Take care, John.

John,
The trick is to make the best that you can with what you have and can do. Understand the demands of family and life, I'm a cancer survivor myself.
The last four deer I have bagged were off my back porch. Every opportunity is a blessing.
My best to you and your wife.
Bob;