PDA

View Full Version : Model 94 .32 Win special

Leadforbrains
04-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Finally getting me a Cast Boolit rifle. I've been wanting one ever since I joined this site. I hope to be picking her up next week. Whoever said this was a sickness was right

04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Pbcranium,
Nice looking 94! Post-1925 to Pre-1951 or so I presume? They do make very nice cast bullet rifles. I've been playing with one the last few months. Seems like the first load I tried was a keeper.... a 180gr FN GC about BHN 20 over a mild load of Unique. Groove is .321 and the bullet sized to .321.

Leadforbrains
04-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the compliments and the info. The seller on Gunbroker lists the manufacturing date at 1951. The seller also stated to me that the bore was in great condition, and was bright and shiny. I should be able to pick her up next week and I will post some better pictures.
Now I have to save up for dies, molds, sizer and brass to make her shoot.

Leadforbrains
10-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Guys I just wanted to give you an update. I finally got the Molds, gaschecks, dies and all the other necessary things I needed to shoot this rifle. I used the RCBS .32-170-FP bullet lubed with Johnson's paste wax. The load I used was 25 grains of IMR 4198. The first shot at 25 yards was dead center in the bull. I was slightly suprised as I had never shot this rifle before. I then tried the fifty yard target. To my suprise the first round at fifty went a little high dead center into the bullseye. The second shot broke away about 3/4 of an inch from the first and the third cut into the same hole as the second. I took a break and shot five more at fifty, but the point of impact shifted an inch to the right whith all five shots touching. I am pretty sure the POI shift was me or due to the rifle barrel heating up a bit. I checked the barrel with a bore lite and there was no leading whatsoever. I shot 5 rounds at a hundred yards and they were all in the black. I thought that was pretty good considering I was using the factory Iron sights, and the front bead was covering all of the black on the target. all the shots at the hundred would have killed my venison with room to spare. The boolits were cast from 50/50 wheel weights and range lead, and were water quenched. I sized them to .321 . I am grateful to everyone here that as given me advice. Thanks!:drinks::castmine:

NHlever
10-13-2008, 01:46 AM
I've shot some surprisingly good groups on occassion with my late Dad's old 94. The front sight bead on his was a rounded shape, and I found as light changed my groups moved. I took a fine needle file, and just squared up the bead, and that helped a lot. It sure sounds like the one you have is going to be a great shooter! They can be anything from a poor man's 32-20 to a bear killer, and lots of fun in between. I don't shoot my Dad's much anymore, but I do shoot my Marlin a lot, and have been looking at the used 94's. I want something I can sling, etc. and I don't want to drill any holes in the family gun.

Leadforbrains
10-13-2008, 07:59 AM
I've shot some surprisingly good groups on occassion with my late Dad's old 94. The front sight bead on his was a rounded shape, and I found as light changed my groups moved. I took a fine needle file, and just squared up the bead, and that helped a lot. It sure sounds like the one you have is going to be a great shooter! They can be anything from a poor man's 32-20 to a bear killer, and lots of fun in between. I don't shoot my Dad's much anymore, but I do shoot my Marlin a lot, and have been looking at the used 94's. I want something I can sling, etc. and I don't want to drill any holes in the family gun.

I never thought about the lighting. That could be it, because the last group at fifty the shots were all touching just a little to the right of the original group. The front sight on my 94 is a small ivory bead. I am 46 years old and I am already noticing that my eyes get a little tired while using the irons. That was something that used to never happen.
This is my first 94, and I am already in love with it. It is lite and shoots really well. Thanks for the reply and advice NHlever.:drinks:

missionary5155
10-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Yep.. that sun moving east to west will change the impact on ya... I have a hill side "range" and shoot into a washout. I generally try to keep the sun to my back so the sights always reflect the same in the afternoon light. But knowing what the sun light angle does is necessary for hunting and general shooting.

Leadforbrains
10-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Yep.. that sun moving east to west will change the impact on ya... I have a hill side "range" and shoot into a washout. I generally try to keep the sun to my back so the sights always reflect the same in the afternoon light. But knowing what the sun light angle does is necessary for hunting and general shooting.

Thanks. I will definitely keep that in mind. The shift in POI was not so great that I would have made a bad shot on a game animal even at the 100yd range, but it was enough to get me wondering. This is all definitely food for thought. Thanks again.

Leadforbrains
10-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I got another update. Man I love this rifle! I killed a 105 lb Whitetail doe at aprox 70 yards with the .32 Win Spcl. The RCBS .32-170-FN bullet did a great job. It created a rather large exit wound. The deer ran 20yds and piled up. I have a disposable camera and as soon as I take the rest of the pictures I will post the pictures of the deer and the rifle. This has been a very amazing and gratifying experience for me. I am very happy to have learned from all of you here. Thanks again! :castmine:

Edited to add: Guys I am taking my son hunting this evening, and tomorrow I am driving to Newport RI for work. I will check back in with y'all in the next day or so

Nazgul
10-19-2008, 03:01 PM
I have a 32 Win Spec made in 1959. Shoot the RCBS cast in it. Accurate and lots of fun.

Don

6pt-sika
10-19-2008, 06:55 PM
LFB , glad to hear you've had good success with the RCBS 32-170GC mould !

I use that one as well as the Lyman 321297GC .

Recently I recieved a test mold for the NEW Ranch Dog offering called the RD 323-170GC !

I've used this bullet in a pair of Marlin 32 Specials , a Winchester 32 Special and finally a Marlin in 32-40 and they all seemed to like the bullet quite a bit !

If you are intrested in this bullet look on ;

www.ranchdogmolds.com

When you get on this site look in the lower left hand corner and click on the FAQ place it also takes you to his new forum and you can read about the merits and or exploits of his moulds !

Chuck 100 yd
10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes, the 170 gr. RCBS bullet is a good one.

Leadforbrains
10-21-2008, 08:18 PM
LFB , glad to hear you've had good success with the RCBS 32-170GC mould !

I use that one as well as the Lyman 321297GC .

Recently I recieved a test mold for the NEW Ranch Dog offering called the RD 323-170GC !

I've used this bullet in a pair of Marlin 32 Specials , a Winchester 32 Special and finally a Marlin in 32-40 and they all seemed to like the bullet quite a bit !

If you are intrested in this bullet look on ;

www.ranchdogmolds.com

When you get on this site look in the lower left hand corner and click on the FAQ place it also takes you to his new forum and you can read about the merits and or exploits of his moulds !

Hey thanks for the info. I will also look into the Ranchdog molds for my .444P Outfitter.

edited to Add: well my fun is over for now I am up north working again, but I had a great weekend because I got to put everything I learned here to the test. The icing on the cake was that my 15 year old son killed a really nice eight point.
Anyhow I am really getting into the leverguns as my AR's and my bolt actions never seem to leave the safe. I need to make more money so I can buy another dangit!

6pt-sika
10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey thanks for the info. I will also look into the Ranchdog molds for my .444P Outfitter.

You might not want to mess with the 444 !

I had "just" a 444P which I only shoot jacketed in !

Then a found a vintage 1971 "First Model 444" and got the THREE Ranch Dog molds for the 444 (265 , 285 and 300 they no longer make the 285) .

Now I have no less then SEVEN 444 Marlin's that were made from 1965 to 1975 and I just shoot cast in these ! On top of this I also have FOUR more rifles in 444 that I only shoot jacketed .

I blame Michael for all the old cast bullet 444's [smilie=1:

But I'm not sure who to blame for the other FOUR :-D

Leadforbrains
10-21-2008, 09:26 PM
You might not want to mess with the 444 !

I had "just" a 444P which I only shoot jacketed in !

Then a found a vintage 1971 "First Model 444" and got the THREE Ranch Dog molds for the 444 (265 , 285 and 300 they no longer make the 285) .

Now I have no less then SEVEN 444 Marlin's that were made from 1965 to 1975 and I just shoot cast in these ! On top of this I also have FOUR more rifles in 444 that I only shoot jacketed .

I blame Michael for all the old cast bullet 444's [smilie=1:

But I'm not sure who to blame for the other FOUR :-D

My Dad has an older .444 Marlin with the long barrel and a straight stock. It is a beautiful rifle. It was his first actual deer rifle that he bought for himself as a young man. He does not shoot it much now but he still has it. I liked his so much that I purchased the
.444P. I have only shot jacketed in this rifle. I used a handloaded 240grn Hornady XTP bullet to take a sow several years ago.