PDA

View Full Version : Savage action wrench in eastern Ohio?

lead-1
09-08-2015, 02:35 AM
I have the need for a Savage action wrench that will fit a Savage Axis. A friend was given one that has had the barrel partially unscrewed and it is jammed up good and proper.
When asked why they tried to unscrew the barrel he said that it had a live round stuck in the chamber so they tried to take the barrel off to get it out, insert face palm here.

If someone on the eastern side of Ohio would happen to have one and some spare time to help me out, send me a PM with a location and an idea of cost. The problem of buying the tools for a one time deal is about the cost of a new rifle so it's kind of not worth doing. Any help will be appreciated.

FredBuddy
09-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Are you talking about the round nut that locks the barrel to the receiver?

I have a wrench and vise for the 110 style.

lead-1
09-10-2015, 04:19 PM
It has a round receiver and the nut is broke free but the barrel won't completely unscrew from the receiver.
I'm thinking a wrench to fit the receiver and one for the barrel. I truely don't know my friend messed this up unless he tried to turn the barrel the wrong way.
I will try to get a picture and measurements later.

lead-1
09-10-2015, 05:47 PM
The receiver is 1.352" in diameter and the barrel is 1.011" in diameter just forward of the threads.
A little Ed's Red on the threads and some working back and fourth the nut will at least spin now but the barrel is stuck fast. At least for all I have to work with.
I would guess that the barrel is about 1/3 the distance unthreaded.

Artful
09-10-2015, 07:42 PM
So you need a barrel vise and action wrench?
Do you have a regular vise?

lead-1
09-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Yes, I have a regular vise, and yes I need a barrel vise and action wrench.
I tried wrapping the receiver with a wrap of leather and clamping in the vise, then wrapping the barrel with leather and using a pipe wrench but only turned everything in the vise.
I was afraid to go any tighter in the vise and smash the receiver.

Artful
09-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Ok, to turn your regular vise into a receiver/barrel vise you can take two chunks of hardwood and clamp them together and then take drill bit just under 1.352" and put some powdered rosin on the wood then clamp the end of the action at close to the recoil plate as possible - now take a strap wrench or if you don't have one take a belt and thread it thru a disassembled pipe wrench to make a strap wrench and then find a pipe the increase the leverage and you should be able to remove the barrel from the receiver.

Conversely you can cut the hole in the wood to the barrel dimension 1.011" then find a flat that you can insert into the receiver raceways for the bolt and put a wrench on the flat stock (unless you can bend the flat stock to form an "L").

The other thing that comes to mind - I've heard tell that some of the savages were put together with chemical to keep them tight (loctite/rockset) you may need to just apply heat and can then unscrew with your gloved hand.

Silverboolit
09-10-2015, 10:02 PM
On the Axis barrels, they finished the action/barrel at the same time after they were assembled. Your threads are probably full of metal shot peen particles. It can be a job to remove. Try some penetrating oil and compressed air on the threads and try to blow out the junk in there, if any. Good Luck!!!

country gent
09-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Stand it barrel up in the vise and build a clay dam around reciver and open around barrel. place a can or rags under it and soak overnight with Kroil, eds red, or other good penetrating oil. Make sure nut is loose and turns freely. Soak with oil should help. The wood blocks with matching hole will help get ahold of the reciever or barrel, make them 2-3" long. powdered rosin will also help. A wrench padded to turn and go very slowly. One thing that concerns me is if it was coming apart or going togther when it froze up tight? Could the threads have been cross threaded and forced together that far? Heat may help but care to not discolor or soften metals also needs to be observed. Another little trick when making you blocks install a couple wood dowel pins in opposite corners out of the way. this will hold blocks together and in place meaning only 2 things to hold when tighting vise up.

lead-1
09-11-2015, 12:07 AM
I will give these a things a try. I believe that it was being taken apart when it froze up.

Mk42gunner
09-11-2015, 11:53 AM
First of all, please tell me that the jammed round that supposedly started all this is already out of the chamber.

Second, from your picture it looks to me like the barrel nut has already been off and the recoil lug removed, correct?

If penetrating oil doesn't work, an ultra sonic cleaner may help; if you have access to one that is large enough to submerge the barrel/ receiver junction. It might take a while....

Robert

lead-1
09-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Yes, the round came out when he had broke the barrel loose from the action. Why he didn't stop and seek help reheadspacing it then I'll have no idea.

lead-1
09-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Ok, I found a piece of flat steel to fit the bolt raceway and drilled a hole in a couple pieces of wood so I could double the pinching area, added some Ed's Red and it is now apart. Now to clean the threads real good and see about reassembling it. Thanks guys.

Next question, when the threads are cleaned good and the thread locker is removed, the threads actually look good as in not buggered up any.
How tight should the barrel and receiver screw together? Should they twist together by hand or need a wrench?

Silverboolit
09-14-2015, 09:15 PM
30 to 40 foot pounds should do it

lead-1
09-17-2015, 04:41 AM
With the help of a brass wire wheel and some enamel reducer as a cleaner, I now have the receiver and action where it will thread together fairly easily. The barrel nut not so much so, it has tight spots but will thread the distance.

Now to get the head space reset, Has anyone done this off resized brass?

Artful
09-18-2015, 12:31 AM
Was the brass fireformed in this barrel?

Rental
http://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=26
http://4-dproducts.com/
http://www.workshopinnovation.co.nz/proddetail.asp?prod=ForsterHeadspaceGaugeRental

lead-1
09-18-2015, 06:02 AM
No, I have no brass from this barrel.
I experimented with a piece of once fired brass that was full length resized and a factory round that I pulled the bullet from and there was enough of a difference, that I felt would warrant the use of guages. Thanks Artful for the links, I didn't know you could rent them.

Artful
09-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Now that you will headspace it with gauges
- after you do so ... so you know it's correct.

Then save a fired factory cartridge and
you can use it if you ever need to reset the
barrel back on that action.

I have a swap barrel rifle and I use that method.

lead-1
09-23-2015, 08:03 PM
All done, headspace is set, rifle is back together and test fired. It shot fine with zero problems and the guy who owns it is happy as a lark.

Thanks for the info and pointers.

Artful
09-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Your Welcome