PDA

View Full Version : PC Oven

Bzcraig
09-07-2015, 10:02 PM
When I first started the PC madness I bought a new Hamilton Beach Convection Oven and tested with a cheap oven thermometer and all was good. Something went south at sometime but I didn't catch it until today while installing a thermal couple to use a PID. using the oven thermometer, infrared thermometer, and PID the hottest the oven would get is 350. This oven has 4 elements, 2 on top and 2 on bottom. I messed with all the settings and could never get all 4 to glow. It did seem the thermostat on the oven was cycling but the temp on the PID would only vary a few degrees as I would expect just not hot enough. So, here's my question; realizing I'm electronically challenged, is it pretty straight forward to wire the elements to all come on and safely be controlled by the PID?

Beagle333
09-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Yes. Just take it apart and look at how the elements are powered (as in, which ones are in series and which ones are parallel) and just run the juice from the PID that same pattern. I am electrically challenged as well, but I got all 4 of mine to come on now, wired directly from the PID and completely bypassing the original thermostat.

Moonie
09-09-2015, 11:22 AM
I decided not to pid my convection toaster oven as when it cycles off it will create cool/hot spots in the oven as the fan stops running when the pid cycles it off.

I do check the temperature regularly to ensure things haven't changed. My oven is 400F when the dial shows 350F.

popper
09-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Bzcraig - check the toast/broil/bake switch setting. My PID is wired to the heaters and the fan is wired to the timer on normal power.

Beagle333
09-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Only connect the heating elements to the PID. Be sure to leave the fan and light connected to direct power. They won't appreciate the pulse of the PID any. [smilie=1: