PDA

View Full Version : H&R youth 44 mag issues resolved!!!

Indiana shooter
09-07-2015, 03:36 PM
When I first purchased a youth model 44 mag for my kids to deer hunt with I was extremely disappointed. I tried everything from 180 gr special loads to full bore 300 gr XTP. Nothing would produce anything better than a shotgun pattern at 50 yards, literally a 4+ inch group.

When I contacted H&R i slipped up and told them I tried handloads in it, well that voided the warranty, end of story there.

I finally decided to try cast out of it, so I slugged the bore. Guess what.... the dang thing slugged at .434. I loaded up some as cast 255 gr boolits with a 96-3-1 alloy. Taadaaa, the gun shot a 1.5 inch group at 50 yards on my first test load.

Damn, wish I'd have started casting sooner.

Tatume
09-07-2015, 03:43 PM
When I contacted H&R i slipped up and told them I tried handloads in it, well that voided the warranty, end of story there.

Shooting handloads does not void the warranty, and if someone told you it does he is full of himself. If the gun was damaged and the damage could be attributed to hand loaded ammunition, they could claim that the damage was not covered by warranty. If the gun was malfunctioning because of faulty materials or workmanship they must honor the warranty.

In your case the warranty was valid and in force.

Had you called and said the sights had sheered off, or the barrel burst, or the stock cracked, or something like that, and admitted that you were using hand loaded ammo, then they could claim the warranty was void, as it might apply to that particular damage.

Indiana shooter
09-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Tatume, I wish I'd have known that 5 years ago. I have always read that any damages that occur wile shooting reloaded ammo isn't covered, therefore when the customer service guy told me it voided the warranty I left it alone.

Lefty Red
09-07-2015, 09:12 PM
I had horrible luck with H&R's custom service and their "gunsmiths". Glad they are gone, but do miss some of their Handi's.

Most of the Handi's in pistol calibers have oversized chambers and long throats. But will out shoot a weapon with a better "lineage" and cost four times as much if the caster can match a mold to it.

Jerry

OnHoPr
09-07-2015, 10:21 PM
Ya, I would consider a .434 bore for a .429 bore not up to par workmanship. If lands were .004 that would give only a .0015 bite radius on a factory bullet and a whole lot of blow by. That's pretty close to a smoothbore rifle or using a .410 shotgun to shoot 44s out of. Well, unless fixed it looks like a designated castboolit gun. How do they do their rifling, hammer forged or button? Did someone get carried away with the lapping if they do that? Maybe they are getting metric tooling.