PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft wheel weights

stillhere
09-07-2015, 01:58 PM
I might have a lead on these. Would they be any different than automotive wheel weights?

lobowolf761
09-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Shouldn't be.

LIMPINGJ
09-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Stick on just like on an auto. Just make sure they are lead.

jsizemore
09-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Do you figure Homeland Security would get upset if you searched the airport tarmac for stray weights? You'd only be trying to be environmentally conscious.

GSM
09-07-2015, 11:35 PM
Do you figure Homeland Security would get upset if you searched the airport tarmac for stray weights? You'd only be trying to be environmentally conscious.

Tell them you are on FOD patrol.

stillhere
09-08-2015, 11:26 PM
I got them. Three 5 gallon buckets full for a hundred bucks. THey look like automotive stick-ons, only much thicker. My Cabine Tree hardness tester is putting them at about 8 or 8.5 on the Brinell, so they're definitely not pure lead, which is just fine as I have hundreds of pounds of nuclear lead which super pure.
I think this was a most satisfactory purchase.

DaveyDug
09-10-2015, 12:25 PM
I got them. Three 5 gallon buckets full for a hundred bucks. THey look like automotive stick-ons, only much thicker. My Cabine Tree hardness tester is putting them at about 8 or 8.5 on the Brinell, so they're definitely not pure lead, which is just fine as I have hundreds of pounds of nuclear lead which super pure.
I think this was a most satisfactory purchase.

I agree. Not bad for 100 bucks. Any chance of posting some pictures? I'd love to see what these things look like.

stillhere
09-10-2015, 02:12 PM
I agree. Not bad for 100 bucks. Any chance of posting some pictures? I'd love to see what these things look like.
I can see it's going to take me some time to remove the adhesive tape, but I don't mind. I'll get a picture later today. I suspect these are made by BADA and intended for truck use.
I wish I had an XRF scanner.

rondog
09-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Call that tape "flux" and throw 'em in the smelting pot. Outdoors. While you stand upwind.

stillhere
09-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Sure wish I could. But I'm doing all this from a third story balcony.

MrWolf
09-10-2015, 05:27 PM
I dumped all my old paint thinner, acetone, etc. into a bucket and use that to remove the adhesive tape. Just let them soak for a few days as most of the backing will come right off. For those that didnt just taking them out with pliers was sufficient for the tape to come off.

jsizemore
09-10-2015, 06:45 PM

I'll be watching for you on the news.

4719dave
09-10-2015, 08:21 PM
oh hell ya get the tape off ...nasty burning stuff ..yes pics or it don't count lol

footpetaljones
09-10-2015, 09:43 PM
If there are any markings on them, try to find the manufacturer and give them a call about the composition.

stillhere
09-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Here's a picture of these big fatty stick-ons.http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/beaurrr/lead/DSC02324%201_zpsdf1cytxc.jpg~original

I hope to get more from these guys. They run a big time parachuting operation and the weights are from their aircraft fleet. Maybe a half gallon of tequila will grease the tracks to continued supply.

jsizemore
09-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Love those Tape-A-Weight (TAW on the small ones).

Bigslug
09-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Is aviation lead lighter than automotive lead?:mrgreen:

MUSTANG
09-12-2015, 11:40 PM

Is it anti-corrosive if used on aircraft deployed on ships?

stillhere
09-13-2015, 12:29 AM

Nope.

DaveyDug
09-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Here's a picture of these big fatty stick-ons.http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/beaurrr/lead/DSC02324%201_zpsdf1cytxc.jpg~original

I hope to get more from these guys. They run a big time parachuting operation and the weights are from their aircraft fleet. Maybe a half gallon of tequila will grease the tracks to continued supply.

Very cool.

stillhere
09-14-2015, 10:29 PM
Only problem is, if you could call it a problem, is that they are on the soft side. Could really use some clip-ons to firm up the alloy. But having soft lead is not a bad thing.

trapper9260
09-15-2015, 06:22 AM
If it is soft lead you are ok .Just add tin to it to hard it up and you will be ok.You will have more use for it.When I get scrape lead from the salvage yard .I get the soft one and then add what ever i want to it to the BHN I want.Also use the soft for my muzzle loader.

NavyVet1959
09-15-2015, 07:47 AM

From a 3rd floor balcony, you might have a problem. Around here, it seems that every year we see some idiot trying to BBQ on the balcony of his apartment and he ends up burning down a few apartments in the process, so be careful.

If you can get on the roof of the building and with the right wind conditions, it might not be noticeable. Are you using a propane burner? Where are you located? You might be able to go to some remote area and do the smelting. If you live near the coast, a remove beach at night might work.

stillhere
09-15-2015, 10:08 AM
From a 3rd floor balcony, you might have a problem. Around here, it seems that every year we see some idiot trying to BBQ on the balcony of his apartment and he ends up burning down a few apartments in the process, so be careful.

If you can get on the roof of the building and with the right wind conditions, it might not be noticeable. Are you using a propane burner? Where are you located? You might be able to go to some remote area and do the smelting. If you live near the coast, a remove beach at night might work.

I've been using (abusing, really) my Lee 20 pounder to smelt about 1500 lbs so far. I do a lot of prep work to make the lead clean as possible beforehand. I finally figured a way to get my fan to suck the smoke away and so that's no longer a problem.

scottfire1957
09-17-2015, 11:00 PM
Why? Why wonder about a couple hundred pounds of Pb on aircraft tires when your ship weighs thousands of tons?

stillhere
09-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Why? Why wonder about a couple hundred pounds of Pb on aircraft tires when your ship weighs thousands of tons?I don't understand your question.

wrench man
09-17-2015, 11:25 PM
I've pealed several pounds of those off of truck wheels.

scottfire1957
09-17-2015, 11:31 PM
I don't understand your question.

Read the question in your very first post in this thread. Why WOULD they be any different?

Edit: It is a lead weight, stick on type, to balance a wheel. Might be painted. Probably Mil-spec. You would need to have it analyzed if you want near exact composition data.

stillhere
09-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Read the question in your very first post in this thread. Why WOULD they be any different?

Edit: It is a lead weight, stick on type, to balance a wheel. Might be painted. Probably Mil-spec. You would need to have it analyzed if you want near exact composition data.
No idea why they WOULD be different. I was just asking in case someone here actually knew whether or not there would be a difference. They are neither mil-spec, nor are they painted. As I've learned from much googling, they are nothing more than Tape-a-weight brand stick-ons made large enough for large trucks and RVs.....and apparently some aircraft.

They're all smelted now and checking in at about 9 BH on my Cabine Tree tester, so they have something in addition to lead, and that's just fine.

RogerDat
09-18-2015, 12:25 PM
9 BHN is pretty nice for a lot of uses, bet they would harden some if cast boolit was water dropped since they are not plain. Large SOWW source is good score to my way of thinking.

stillhere
09-18-2015, 04:25 PM
Is quenching a surface treatment only? If I run them through a sizer after quenching is the hardening lost on the sized areas?

JSnover
09-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Instead of 'boolit drop,' you have to call it 'glide ratio.'

facetious
10-20-2015, 01:44 AM

Well, no. But it fly's farther.:2_high5: