PDA

View Full Version : Old Lyman 55 Not Measuring Acccurately

HoosierShooter
09-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I have a fairly old and used Lyman 55. Think orange paint and old Lyman orange box. It has been throwing great shots of Unique and 2400 for some time. Recently, it has been varying as much as 4.7 to 5.3 on a 5 grain setting for both powders.

I am very careful about consistant handle movements, knocker taps, level of powder in the hopper, tap the hopper to settle the powder, etc. Disassembled completely and cleaned. Adjusted axial clearance of rotor to housing to a minimum. Tried using just the shallow blade and got same variation as opening both blades. Similar variation throwing 10 grain charge. Also checked my scale with calibrated weights. It is the Lyman.

There is radial clearance between rotor and housing. Any fix for that? Any suggestions welcome

ndnchf
09-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Do you have a baffle installed? I found that made my 55 much more consistent. It has been recommended not to use the knocker, so I don't. Mine is pretty old too, but still works well.

JWFilips
09-07-2015, 05:47 PM
I have a few old Greys and Oranges. I found when they start throwing bonkers you can try two things, If you disassemble & clean as you said wipe everything inside down ( including inside the hopper) with powdered graphite ( Not motor mica) This usually will fix it for quite awhile. I even threw away my baffles since I started doing this.

Also since you didn't say what you are weighing the charges on I'm reluctant to post the other problem source;
But I will: If things are weighing fine at the drop with a small electronic scale then all of a sudden bonkers ...restart the scale. Usually works again. If it persist recheck the scale calibration....It may not be the drop after all!

HoosierShooter
09-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Thanks for your comments. I have run out of ideas so will replace with new powder measure. perhaps let the Lyman rest a while and get lucky it will come back OK.

Char-Gar
09-08-2015, 11:34 AM
I have eight Lyman 55s that cover the entire production period when they were introduced (1947) until the time Lyman sold out to Leisure Group (1970). Once cleaned and lubricated with micro-fine graphite, they all work as designed.

There are three things a fellow can do to help with consistency;

1. Use the baffle Lyman sells.
2. Put a funnel in the top and keep it filled with powder to insure a consistent powder column in the powder reservoir.
3. Use a powder weight. I bought one on Ebay and switch it from measure to measure. The charges thrown are very uniform using this gizmo.

Based on my experience, I doubt your Lyman 55 has gone "wonky" on you. They seem to be everlasting when maintained properly. This means disassembling the measure and removing all the powder residue on all parts, including the inside of the casting where the rotor turns and lubricating with micro-fine graphite. Use 000 or 0000 steel wool to clean the moving parts and casting.

Here is a pic of the powder weight in action

M-Tecs
09-08-2015, 11:46 AM
I will have to give the powder weight a try. Thanks for posting a pic!!!!

str8wal
09-08-2015, 07:16 PM
It has been recommended not to use the knocker

And why would this be? I use it every throw.

ndnchf
09-08-2015, 08:33 PM

I don't know for sure, but I assume it is because the amount of vibration induced by the knock can be inconstant. I use a powder baffle in mine. That keeps the weight of the powder column more uniform on the rotor. The first 55 I bought used many years ago was missing the knocker. When I got a second 55 with the knocker, I tried it a few times but found no benefit from it. Your mileage may vary.

Char-Gar
09-09-2015, 02:18 PM

I do not use the knocker, but have tried it of course. I have not found it to help with uniform charges.

Char-Gar
09-09-2015, 02:20 PM
I will have to give the powder weight a try. Thanks for posting a pic!!!!

I think you will like it. I like it so much I bought another for my RCBS Little Dandy. The guy who makes them has them for about every popular measure.

JWFilips
09-09-2015, 02:29 PM
As for the knocker I seldom use it I find more consistency in a nice light whack against the stop when I bring the handle up. When you get the cadence down it is very accurate. I find more often then not if it drops more then - or + .1 grain I just reboot my electronic scale ( because that is the culprit)
Also when moving the handle up and down do not vary the pressure inward. If I start out with a light pressure inwards I stick with it during working the handle of the powder drop. You just have to develop a feel for each unit you have. I have 3 and they all work great as long as I do my part!

bedbugbilly
09-09-2015, 06:30 PM
I don't have a 55 but I will a one thing to Jim's comment about rebooting your electronic scale. I was depending on mine most of the time and liked my electronic scale. Then . . I too started getting whacky grain weight - only out of my Lee Perfect Powder Measure with Bulls Eye which has always metered well in mine. (Lee measure). I started over a number of times when I started getting weird weights - checked my scale with a test weight, etc. What I discovered was that my scale battery was starting to run down. And . . . it seems like it just changed it not too long ago - it's not like I leave it on for extended times as it has an automatic shutoff after so many seconds. I finally went back to my RCBS 505 beam scale and found that my measure was indeed throwing accurate measurements - my electronic wasn't weighing them correctly. As someone once told me . . "you can't improve on gravity". Now that I'm back to the 505 - all is well.

historicfirearms
09-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Where do you find micro-fine graphite? I would like to try some on my old 55. As far as knockers, I guess I have never been able to keep my hands off them.

M-Tecs
09-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Where do you find micro-fine graphite? I would like to try some on my old 55. As far as knockers, I guess I have never been able to keep my hands off them.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apowdered%20graphite%20lubricant

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/dry-lubricants/powdered-graphite-prod20053.aspx

Most hardware stores should have it. Toy/hobby store that sell pinewood derby kit will have it. It used a lot on fishing reels.

Char-Gar
09-09-2015, 11:01 PM

I have a pound can of Dixon Microfyn graphite. I also use it as a case neck lube. The one pound can will last two lifetimes. It also is a good lock lubricant.

JWFilips
09-10-2015, 06:38 AM
Here is a good place
https://www.graphitestore.com/items_list.asp/action/prod/prd_id/34/cat_id/28

bedbugbilly
09-10-2015, 09:17 AM
When my family had the lumberyard, we ALWAYS kept powdered graphite in stock - excellent to use on door locks, etc. I thought I'd pick some up to have on hand a year ago - went to four "big box" hardware stores expecting no problems in finding some. WRONG! I would ask several different clerks in each store where they kept it and they looked at me like I was from some far away planet - didn't even know what I was talking about! LOL I finally found it in a nearby city where the is an "old time" hardware store - been in business since the mid 1800s - family owned. THEY knew exactly what I was looking for and had some in stock. Probably the only store I can walk in to and buy a "can't hook" or an old fashioned cast iron ram type nail puller. Graphic is good stuff to have on the bench for a lot of different uses.

Litl Red 3991
09-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Gonna load 100 rounds?

First round... the powder entering the measuring cavity is settled by one knock.

Last round... the powder entering the cavity has been settling and settling 100 knocks worth.

Dan Cash
09-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your comments. I have run out of ideas so will replace with new powder measure. perhaps let the Lyman rest a while and get lucky it will come back OK.

I'll take it off your hands.

skeettx
09-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Just clean the spider web out of the drop cavity, worked for me :)

fourarmed
09-10-2015, 02:08 PM
I had the same problem with mine. Someone on this board clued me in: The large charge slider is not completely closed, and powder trickles down into it, then comes back out in unpredictable amounts. Solution: Disassemble and clean. There is probably a grain of powder down in there that is preventing it from going completely shut. Once cleaned, the large slider will then close completely, and your problems will be over.

mold maker
09-10-2015, 02:11 PM
The use of the knocker defeats the advantage of a baffle. Use one or the other, but not both.
I've successfully used the knocker for near 6o years. As with everything involved, consistency is the key.