PDA

View Full Version : New EDC, Ruger LCP

TXGunNut
09-07-2015, 12:27 AM
Awhile back a good friend introduced me to the Kel-Tec P3AT. Nice enough gun for a hideout/backup gun and it's been super-dependable and after a fashion I could even hit pretty well with it. After a few years of heavy shooting his developed frame issues and Kel-Tec of course replaced it. He replaced it with the newly introduced LCP and he was very happy with it, I think he sold the P3AT.
I've been shooting mine a fair bit over the years while keeping an eye out for an LCP. Today I ran across one worth the money and it followed me home. [smilie=1: It's a new gun that somehow found it's way into the used gun case. With Cabelas points and discounts it wasn't much over $200 and it came with two extra mags. Not bad.
Seems I'm developing into a regular Ruger fanboy; so far this year I've scored a good used Hawkeye, new SR1911, American Rimfire 17HMR and now this LCP. I'm not much on pistols any more but I keep one around for social equipment. I think this LCP is a bit better gun than the P3AT but that little Kel-Tec has served me well. I think it'll get a good cleaning, fresh ammo and a hiding place somewhere nearby.
That P3AT will be a tough act to follow but I think the LCP is up to it.

Artful
09-07-2015, 12:46 AM
That's a good price - I see they have new models now - stainless, adjustable sight, laser options.

I'll be keeping with my existing inventory of 380's and keep stuffing them with LEE's 105 grain SWC.

fecmech
09-07-2015, 11:15 AM
I had them both and I think the Ruger is a small step up from the KT. That said I sold the Ruger and carry the KT as it's about 2 oz. lighter. Just a personal preference on my part, I like to minimize the weight in my pocket.

jmort
09-07-2015, 11:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2bBSHxk-Oc

Big Ruger Fan-Boy here. Four out of the last five guns I bought have been Rugers. The LCP is a great gun at an even greater price. What a deal.

I just got a LC9s Pro and wow. No safety and no magazine disconnect. Trigger is sweetness.

Hickok45 go it all right on that video.

TXGunNut
09-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Hmmm, didn't notice the weight difference. I guess I'll have to get set up to cast & load for the .380. I have a bit of ammo on hand but my normal break-in/familiarization routine will either deplete or put a huge dent in it, not willing to pay today's prices for factory ammo.

FergusonTO35
09-07-2015, 11:12 PM
What load are you usimg with the Lee 105 SWC and what OAL?

TXGunNut
09-09-2015, 09:45 PM
What load are you usimg with the Lee 105 SWC and what OAL?

I was wondering that myself earlier today. Care to share, Artful?
I used to say I'd never load the 30-30, factory ammo too cheap and plentiful. I was wrong, enjoy it so much I even load the 32 Special these days.
I used to say I'd never load for the .380, factory ammo too cheap and plentiful. That has now changed as well. Dies and a shell holder coming from Dillon, brass (and Berry's bullets) coming from Cabelas. Not sure I'm going to shoot this little pistol enough to justify a mould but will kick it around after I get the little cutie broken in.

TXGunNut
09-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Little gun did good! Was actually able to use the new sights (as well as my presbyopic eyes will allow) and unlike my other recently acquired Ruger it never bobbled, ran like a little sewing machine until I got tired of shooting it.:Fire: It was a little dry but that was remedied during my pre-shoot cleaning and inspection. Trigger is pretty smooth and very manageable. My trusty Kel-Tec got a good cleaning (de-linting [smilie=1:) and it will be retired soon.
I don't get too excited about handguns, especially carry guns, these days but I'm pretty tickled about this little cutie. I just wish she would pick up her own brass. ;-)

fecmech
09-14-2015, 10:40 AM
I just wish she would pick up her own brass. :wink:
Brass shows up here on the board pretty reasonable so I don't worry much about it. All you need now is the Lee RD clone in a 6 cav, a pound of Bullseye and you're good for over 2000 rds! Now that cooler weather is starting I'll be heading to my indoor range soon and more time with my KT.

FergusonTO35
09-14-2015, 02:00 PM
TXGunNut, are you planning to keep that Kel-Tec? Also, how far does the LCP fling brass?

TXGunNut
09-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Yes, I'll keep the KelTec around. It will be retired from EDC and all the shooting practice :roll: that involves but it will be re-assigned. I was shooting near a vertical baffle Sunday so I don't know how far the brass would fly if allowed to do so. I did weigh the two guns on my kitchen scale and the Ruger weighed less than an ounce more than the KelTec....before de-linting they would have been very close. ;-)
Have some brass coming but haven't seen BE in some time. Have a fair bit of 231 and scored some Unique and Universal Clays recently. I'm beginning to rethink my (no) mould decision. I used to dread shooting my KT, this Ruger is another story. Very little difference, actually. I cleaned them back-to-back and I suspect some parts may interchange, at any rate they're very close. A decent trigger and more visible sights made a big difference for me. It's still a handful and not something I'd want to plink with all afternoon but I won't mind taking it to the range to finish reliability testing.

Artful
09-16-2015, 01:02 AM
I was wondering that myself earlier today. Care to share, Artful?

I have used Lee's 358-105-swc in a Makarov with threaded 380ACP barrel - Not Ruger LCP - keep in mind my gun is using the same spring as for 9x18 Mak ammo. And magazine is longer than normal 380 acp only guns.

Cast were lubesized to .357" as I recall and loaded to 0.970 COAL w/ little under 2.5 grains RedDot powder or little over 3 grains Bullseye or little over 4 grains Unique.
- my gun - my load - use at your own risk.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-16-2015, 09:21 AM
also a fan ,I prefer the LC9 as it fits my large hand a little better and don't load 380 the only thing I wish the LC9 didn't have was the magazine disconnect the LC9s-pro takes care of this , which makes me think it could probably be removed from the original LC9 easy enough, but I haven't tried

FergusonTO35
09-16-2015, 09:55 AM
The mag disconnect can be removed from the LC guns, you just have to remove the grip from the receiver. I've been thinking about a pocket .380 for some time now, however the Kel-Tec and Ruger are more .32 Auto size guns in my opinion. I have a Kel-Tec P32 and love it, don't know if I would if it was a .380. I've decided to save up for a Kahr CW-380. I have a CT-380, which is the same gun with 1/2" longer grip and barrel, and shoot it very well, however it is just a little too long to be a pocket gun. The CW-380 should be just right, and has some badly needed extra width and weight for this cartridge.

TXGunNut
09-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Well, Dillon conversion kit came in today. Brass & bullets waiting @ Cabelas. Wonder if that Lee mould comes in a six-cav? Maybe next month. Cabelas Visa bill came today :shock: and I think I've had enough fun for awhile.

TXGunNut
09-19-2015, 10:12 PM
Got the Dillon dies and shell plate installed and changed over the primer feed to small primers. Got everything set up in about an hour. Been over 12 years since I've swapped cartridges on this old 550, much less change primer type. After some load research and a bit of fine-tuning it was running like a top and cranked out 100 rds in about 20 minutes. Those little 380's are a bit small for my clumsy fingers. Wanted to test fire a few but didn't want to sacrifice the brass in the dark. Tomorrow should be fun. ;-)

TXGunNut
09-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Yep she's a shooter. Hopefully I can post some pics. Seven yards, offhand. Last night's reloads have same POI as carry loads.

rking22
09-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Nice shooting with that little pocket pistol. I keep thinking I "need" one. Got my Visa bill too, 2 NOEs and a vintage SxS ..... no more toys for a while!
What load did youu wind up with? I shoot 3.1 of 231 with that Lee/RD in my Berettas and they seem to like it :)

TXGunNut
09-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks! Four of first six of the carry load were touching. :-) Was getting tired but wanted to run some thru the other magazine.
I wound up with 3.3-3.4 grs 231 under a 100 gr Berry's plated bullet. 231 was in the measure and seemed to be as good a choice as any. Haven't decided if I want to spend my casting time making boolits for this one, too many other moulds I'd rather be using. I like the Lee 105 but wish it was a TL design in a 6-cav mould.

FergusonTO35
09-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Lee makes a 95 grain LFP that is a tumble lube design. I have it, however my pistols like the 356-102 better so that's what I feed them.

rking22
09-22-2015, 06:22 PM
I have a group buy RD105 in the Lee 6 hole. It is one easy casting mold, shoots well also. I think the new Lee 95 is the( almost )same boolit. I do have to seat them deep, .920 from memory, and they run 950+ on that 3.1 load of 231. I am reluntant to go higher with that short OAL. They are very accurate, and have a nice flat nose. No cycling problems in either Beretta. Can't say about other guns as I only have the 2 Beretta 380s.

TXGunNut
09-22-2015, 11:23 PM
May have to see if I can generate some interest in a re-run of RD's mould over on the NOE site.

rking22
09-23-2015, 12:01 AM
Thank goodness I already have one, I am already on for a 32 RCBS clone. Got my 375 mold yesterday :) I'm spending next decades Christmas money !!!!

FergusonTO35
09-23-2015, 03:58 PM
I'm going to have to experiment with the Lee 356-95-RF more next spring and summer. The 356-102-2R gives me better accuracy and more consistent velocity out of my two pistols so that is what I'm shooting and carrying right now. It makes sense that this boolit would need to be seated deeper, as it's hanging on by the toes when I seat it to .971 as I do with the 356-102.

TXGunNut
09-23-2015, 11:36 PM
Thank goodness I already have one, I am already on for a 32 RCBS clone. Got my 375 mold yesterday :) I'm spending next decades Christmas money !!!!

Picked up my 375 mould tonight, thanks again for the wake-up call. I started a thread on the NOE site for a RN TL 100gr mould. I'd sign up for a RD mould as a second choice. It's possible the RD profile would give more bearing surface, could be important in a short-for-caliber boolit.

TXGunNut
09-25-2015, 10:51 PM
May have to see if I can generate some interest in a re-run of RD's mould over on the NOE site.

I seems Bigslug has beat me to it, he started a group buy discussion thread a few weeks back on the NOE forum. With all the pocket pistols being toted by members here I think we can make this work. Little guns need more practice than big guns, I don't generally like shooting my "social equipment" but it's something that needs to be done. Might as well cast for it just like everything else.http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,1009.0.html