PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Tumbling Problem

AnotherDayAnotherReload
09-07-2015, 12:00 AM
I have recently picked up some brass at a local gun show. I de-primed the cases and I threw them in the wet tumbler as I usually do. I loaded my tumbling barrel using my same recipe that has yielded great results previously using the same exact detergent and amounts. Only this time the last two batches of brass have turned out dull, brown, gray, and tarnished looking. I never let the brass sit in the soapy water without agitation so I don't know what could be causing it. (Just as some background information) I am using Lemi shine and dish soap from the dollar store and I tumble for about 3hrs. If anyone has had this problem or has a possible solution it would help a ton.

(My only guess) - I am also on a well and am tumbling with water that went through a water softener. Maybe it's the salt? That is about the only difference I can think of. Previous batches of brass were done when the system was low on salt, if not out of salt, and now that it's back up on salt maybe that's the problem.

Nueces
09-07-2015, 12:44 AM
I also wet tumble with nasty softened central Texas well water. Results are wonderful unless using new SS pins that still have manufacturing oils and dirt on them. Unless new pins are cleaned by tumbling alone with hot water and lots of soap, they leave my brass looking sorry. Could that be your situation? If not, and were I in your shoes, I'd rinse the pins well, then tumble overnight. Maybe your new brass had been contaminated by some odd cleaning process before you got it.

VHoward
09-07-2015, 12:49 AM
Lemishine is an additive for dishwashers that is a rinse agent. It helps prevent water spots caused by hard water. Since you have renewed your water softener, The lemishine is probably reacting with the salt. If you have the ability to get water out of your well before it goes through the water softener, then try a batch using that water and see what happens. Otherwise start reducing the amount of lemishine you use to get back to where you were. Shine wise.

Bayou52
09-07-2015, 08:40 AM
Is it possible that you had one or more steel cases mixed in the batch? That could account for your issue.....

AnotherDayAnotherReload
09-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Thanks for all the help thus far. I am going to clean the stainless steel pins and try some water that did not go through the softener.

Otherwise, the man I purchased this brass from said he used a "light polish" in his dry tumbler on the brass. Maybe my issue is coming from this.

Also, does anyone have a good recipe for cleaning the pins? Or should I just do the usual Lemi shine and dish soap?

mold maker
09-07-2015, 09:57 AM
I had the exact same experience and found a couple steel cases in the mix. I cleaned the brass and pins with Dawn for a couple minutes, rinsed and re-tumbled the brass, sans the steel cases. Results were as bright and shiny as expected.

docone31
09-07-2015, 10:05 AM
I found, using Pine Sol was my remedy on the dull brass. I use distilled water, Pine Sol, and tumble away. I also like my water to get thick. It seems to help in polishing.

Nueces
09-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Soap and warm water is all you need to clean the pins, LemiShine not necessary. Will be interesting to see if the wash water for the pins comes out cruddy.

DocSavage
09-07-2015, 05:26 PM
When I got my tumbler and pins the instructions said if pins get dirty to clean them with Simple Green. Run them thru the tumbler for 45 minutes then rinse

Bayou52
09-07-2015, 06:26 PM
My pins get cleaned with every tumble. In 3 years of their use, I've never had to seeparately clean them. They work perfectly every time.

Just my experience as one humble wet tumbler.......

Bayou52

AnotherDayAnotherReload
09-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Again thanks everyone for the suggestions and help. I tumbled my pins in dawn and water that wasn't from the softener for ~30 min and the water was beyond black when I went to empty the drums. I dumped that water and rinsed the pins with more water not from the softener. Then I loaded up the tumbler with my usual Lemi shine and soap with the now clean pins and water not from the softener and the results were great. No more dull tarnished cases, back to better than brand new cases with a great shine. Problem solved. Lesson learned, don't use salty water softener water.

Nueces
09-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Good thing you're back on the path! As I reported above, I use my softened water with fine results. However, I replaced my softener two years ago with a Kinetico system which functions perfectly. If your softener is leaving you with a lot of salt in your faucet water, that might bear looking into.

AnotherDayAnotherReload
09-10-2015, 07:34 AM
That's probably not a bad idea. It is a little alarming that there's enough salt to tarnish brass that bad. Especially since many other people use softened water with no issues.

wiiawiwb
09-10-2015, 08:13 AM
If the salt will do that to brass, one can only imagine the effects it can have on our intestinal system! I think I'd be drinking water from a different source.