PDA

View Full Version : My experiences with the Lee Classic loader.

Bazoo
09-06-2015, 09:01 PM
A member sent me a lee classic loader in 30 wcf a while back to help me get started again after i lost all my loading stuff in a house fire.

I'd never used such a kit before, but figured it'd be better than nothing. I liked the idea of being able to cut out a lot of the unnecessary steps and equipment from the loading process and get down to bare bones.

So, I read the instructions, and being familiar already with the lee dippers, i figured it wouldnt be too difficult. I found some powder, w748 at the local gun store, a classic for the caliber. I bought a box of 150 grain jacketed bullets and a couple flats of primers. I loaded 10 rounds. ... Misfires, about half of them. But it always worked fine with factory ammo. Except for one misfire, which i have chocked up to coincidence.

I thought, it had to be me being new to the kit. But i did seat the primers far enough in. So, i did some research on my gun. Winchester post 64, angle eject. Ah it is notorious for misfires due to light primer strikes. Seems that it has a problem if its not kept clean, and doesnt like the hardest of primers, cci. And of course, cci is whats available in my area.

So i took the rifle stock off, and yep, rust on the hammer strut. I disassembled the assembly and cleaned it thoroughly. Then i shortened the lower forks of the strut so the hammer doesnt have as far to fly under the power of inertia alone.

I loaded 5 primers only into casings, and fired those, as it was nighttime. No misfires. Primers looked to have good strikes. So i loaded about 2 boxes of cartridges.

I had a primer detonate while i was loading it. It didnt scare me much, as i had just reminded myself, and my wife, that it was a possibility. Im not sure what caused the detonation, there wasnt any grit or anything in the primer seating cup and my work area was clean. The only concern i had, is i had a cup with open powder setting close by as i had loaded some previously. So from there on out, i set the powder aside as i primed more casings.

Then yesterday i shot some of the rounds I had loaded, All that were fired went off without a hitch. Accuracy has not been tested yet, but they were good enough to hit the potato salad tub i aimed at.

All in all, i like the little kit. It is easy, fun and relaxing to load with it. It wont take the place of a full loading setup for everything, but it is a nice way to break the monotony.

Garyshome
09-06-2015, 10:05 PM
"primer detonate while i was loading it" that has never happened to me, but can't ever be too careful.

joesig
09-06-2015, 10:21 PM
I sent a friend a loader in 30-06 and he detonated a primer too. What hammer weight did you use? I have a feeling mt friend thought he was sinking some 10 penny nails, not seating a primer.

Michael J. Spangler
09-06-2015, 10:41 PM
I love the lee loaders.
I have made plenty of ammo with them. I had found a couple locally and snagged them for about $12 a piece. I used them when I was waiting for my dies to come in when I bought a gun in a new cartridge I didn't load for yet. A little slow compared to a Dillon 550 but really enjoyable.

I too have set off a primer. I was moving a little fast and the primer was not seated flat and lined up with the pocket properly. One whack and off it went. A little scary but not a big deal.

I think I need more lee loaders.

mdi
09-07-2015, 11:46 AM
I started with a Lee Loader in 1969. I now have 6 kits and use them when I feel "retro", or just because. I have 4 presses, and all the assorted equipment to reload 12 calibers rifle and/or handguns, but my Lee Loaders ain't goin' nowhere!

Of my six loaders only two will pop primers; my .44 Magnum and .38 Special loaders, mebbe one out of 100 primers inserted. The others have not been a problem. I like to use a heavy mallet to give more of a push rather than a tap, tap, tap. My last session I reloaded mebbe 80 .38 Specials and used my arbor press, just for fun, and it was effortless...

Bazoo
09-07-2015, 06:36 PM
I was using a piece of a cherry limb. I wasnt whacking too hard, it was seating the primers pretty easily. I must have gotten the primer crooked as it was on the first whack. I was going faster.

Bazoo
09-09-2015, 01:12 PM
I do really enjoy the process of using the lee loader. Its a real nice change from the loading bench i was used to.

For a powder funnel, i got one of those black things the doctor uses on his instrument to look in your ear. I trimmed the end to be more open, and it works great. The large end fits good on the dipper. I put the funnel in the casing, and set that upside down on the dipper, then flip the whole assembly to transfer the powder. And the funnel fits in the kit.

starmac
09-11-2015, 01:26 AM
Lots of folks got their start in this game cuz of them lee loaders. No telling the amount of dollars folks have spent cuz they got a lee loader to make cheap ammo. It seems like I paid 10 bucks new when I bought my first one. lol

myg30
09-12-2015, 09:48 AM
$16.95 I think in 1985. You must be older than me. Lol lee loaders are fun to use and you really get a good grasp on the reloading process. Starmac is correct that lee loader started the loading craze fer most that reload today, or at least us old guys !

Be safe, Mike

Bazoo
09-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know when the lee loader cam out?

wingspar
09-21-2015, 11:58 AM
I got started reloading after watching a guy on YouTube use a Lee Loader. Asked some questions about them, bought one and started loading .308. I wore reading glasses with safety glasses over them when seating primers. Made me nervous. Probably less than 3 weeks later I had my first press on order. That was only 5 months ago. Them little Lee Loaders cost $39 now, and I considered that pretty dang cheap. I’m self taught from questions on forums and watching YouTube videos, and I think starting with that little Lee Loader was probably the best thing I could have done to kick start my reloading career.

mdi
09-21-2015, 01:35 PM
I got started reloading after watching a guy on YouTube use a Lee Loader. Asked some questions about them, bought one and started loading .308. I wore reading glasses with safety glasses over them when seating primers. Made me nervous. Probably less than 3 weeks later I had my first press on order. That was only 5 months ago. Them little Lee Loaders cost $39 now, and I considered that pretty dang cheap. I’m self taught from questions on forums and watching YouTube videos, and I think starting with that little Lee Loader was probably the best thing I could have done to kick start my reloading career.
I agree. With a Lee Loader you are learning the basics; how and why each step is done. With some presses, you are learning how to operate a machine that produces a loaded round...

pcolapaddler
09-21-2015, 01:59 PM
I have used the classic loader for 38/357. I loaded a hundred or so and it worked well. I did have a couple of primers pop off.

It was a bit startling. I became a bit worried about it, so I decided to start using the Lee primer tool.

gwpercle
09-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Back in the 1960's even a kid in high school could scrounge up the $9.99 for a Lee Loader, I would love to know how many of use got started with a Classic Loader. And then Lee's Bullet Moulds at $8.98, they were affordable and started me casting. People like to bad mouth Lee , but I'm grateful for having products I could afford to own.
Lee Classic Loaders are still cool in my book. Not a bad way for a beginner to learn either.

Gary

Gofaaast
09-21-2015, 08:06 PM
The old timers I grew up around at the gun shop called them hammer dies. The owner of the establishment despised all things Lee except the priming tool, so I had to visit one of the regulars just to see what they were always talking about. I have a couple sets of the target model and a traditional set I got in a auction a few years back that were with some other items I wanted. I have never used them myself, but maybe this winter when the snow is knee deep and there is not much to do I will get them out and load a few rounds. None of the sets I have are for cartridges I frequently reload or I would have used them already.

CastingFool
09-21-2015, 08:20 PM
I started reloading back in 1981, with a Lee loader I bought for $5, at a neighbor's garage sale. got a Speer manual, too, for $3. Loaded quite a few rounds with the Lee loader. I still have it, and the manual, too. Neighbor told me he used to run his dogs on a big field behind his house. School is there now. He passed away a few years ago, but I think of him every time I see the Lee loader on my shelf.

Bazoo
09-21-2015, 11:29 PM
Thats a great story. There is something magical about those lee loaders i reckon.

mdi
09-22-2015, 12:22 PM
An interesting poll would be "How many got started reloading using a Lee Loader (Whack-a-mole)?"

My 'puter is acting up so mebbe someone else could start a poll?

Clemsum
09-22-2015, 06:01 PM
I got started reloading while in High School about '68 with a used 12 gauge shot shell loader. I had to think about it for a while before I seated the first primer with a hammer. Also bought a set of the Lee black dippers (ci instead of cc) and still have both although I seldom use them. I learned a lot about reloading using them.

Bazoo
09-22-2015, 08:26 PM
I was unaware that they made the lee loader in shot shell version.

Wayne Smith
09-23-2015, 08:01 AM
I got started with two of them, a 30-30 for my Dad's and my brother's rifles, and a 16ga for my shotgun.

starmac
09-23-2015, 12:55 PM
If Iiic I spent a whole 30 bucks for everything needed to make ammo for my 300 savage. That was everything except brass, when I got my first whack a mole. I never had a lot of brass back then, even tried using a friends brass, but it wouldn't chamber in my rifle. Because of the small amounts of brass I usually had, I loaded quite a bit on the back bumper of my old international pickup. lol

Bazoo
09-23-2015, 08:29 PM
I've been loading on just 2 boxes of brass. I do have more, but for some reason like the small batches better.

Anyone know about how many loadings i'll get before i'll need to trim the brass using the lee loader?