PDA

View Full Version : Convection fan?

g5m
09-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Before I get into working on (disassembling) my thrift store convection oven to try to use for powder coating I have a question on the convection fan. I seem to remember a post on the fan's voltage as being 12 volts. But I can't find that post now. Is the 12 volts correct for most if not all of the fan voltages?
Thanks.

RobS
09-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Mine was and it said right on the fan motor itself.

bangerjim
09-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Every one I have ever taken apart for cleaning is 120 vac. Just a simple shaded pole motor with a fan on it.

If it was 12v, there would be a transformer in there. That would add to the cost and most makers cut corners everwhere they can.

Measure the voltage across the motor with your DMV! simple.

banger

g5m
09-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks, Guys. I will measure it. I just haven't even taken it apart yet. (Trying to plan a bit).

RobS
09-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Every one I have ever taken apart for cleaning is 120 vac. Just a simple shaded pole motor with a fan on it.

If it was 12v, there would be a transformer in there. That would add to the cost and most makers cut corners everwhere they can.

Measure the voltage across the motor with your DMV! simple.

banger

Yep Correct.

10x
09-07-2015, 11:36 AM
You may not need a convection fan if you have a PID controller.

I bought a $4 BLack and decker toaster oven at the local thrift store, drilled 2 1/4" holes in the side away from the controls (one about 1" from the top of the oven, one hole under the wire tray and about 1" away from the heating element. I insert the 5" K thermocouple into either hole (it does not seem to matter) Set over on the the highest setting and plug it into the PID connected to the thermocouple. When it hits 400F I carefully put the tray of bullets in, wait till the temp returns to 400 F then time for 10 minutes.
I get excellent results.
The hard part is keeping the 22 caliber bullets from falling over when I put the tray in the oven

I thought about putting a fan in the oven but I would rather be casting, baking, and shooting rather than tinkering.

RobS
09-07-2015, 12:38 PM
The big thing about the convection or fan part is simply to move the air within the oven. Where the temperature probe is the oven temp will be consistent however there is often times hot spots that form in the small counter top ovens. The movement of air helps with this issue. However if one doesn't have a convection fan then a shroud built from aluminum at the bottom of the oven that deflects the direct heat from hitting the bottom of the pan of boolits goes a long way to helping the hot spots from happening.