PDA

View Full Version : Best/Most Reliable Auto Priming System?

beeser
09-06-2015, 08:43 AM
After messin' with the automatic priming mechanism on one of my Texan MK* reloaders and still not getting it to work reliably I wondered what machines have the best auto priming systems. I've had few issues with my Dillon XL650s so they are the gold standard for me. All of my Texan MK*s have different auto primers, some only slightly different but still different, which suggests to me they never got it right. So, for those with different reloaders what have you found that works reliably?

jeff423
09-06-2015, 11:18 AM
RCBS Bench Priming Tool

Mike67
09-06-2015, 11:45 AM
RCBS APS strip priming on my Pro 2000 also have bench mounted unit. Most will disagree but I've had few issues. I must add that my Hornady LNL AP priming system has worked well too, RCBS APS is the safest though with care they all are safe.

Greg S
09-06-2015, 11:48 AM
As Jeff @bove or try switching primers. I've had difficulties getting consistant seating with CCIs in my 550. Another thought is presize after tumbling, size, retumble lube off and hand prime. I do my GP 5.56 and 7.62 this way. I have the older RCBS BEnch Priming Tool (single shot). Been looking at the autofeed bench model for 5 years with the primer strips but then you have to buy yhe preloaded strips or buy the tool to load them. Getcha coming or going.

williamwaco
09-06-2015, 12:16 PM
I like the Forster.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-06-2015, 04:13 PM
RCBS APS strip priming on my Pro 2000 also have bench mounted unit. Most will disagree but I've had few issues. I must add that my Hornady LNL AP priming system has worked well too, RCBS APS is the safest though with care they all are safe.

I have this and really like it. I am not at all happy they did not continue it into their new generation of progressives, as it is one of the thing I like most about my press.

varmintpopper
09-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Star progressive reloaders have the most reliable primer mechanizm I've seen in My 60 years reloading. Just My 2.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Firebird
09-07-2015, 07:43 PM
RCBS strip system is the fastest, most reliable system I have used. I learned using a Forster Coax - which I recommend to anyone trying to learn to set primers. Good feel through the handle and mechanically prevents you from crushing the primer, but is pretty slow. Strips are easy & fast to load, my RCBS reloader runs them well, many like Jeff423 above like the bench mounter tool and there is also a very nice hand tool that uses the strip primers.

jmorris
09-07-2015, 08:10 PM
650, search problems, the only one you will find for the 650 is that is always feeds a primer.

Petrol & Powder
09-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Once you get the Dillon 550 set up and adjusted properly, it actually works pretty well. However, having used a 650 I must say that system is probably a bit more user friendly. The aluminum base on the 550 primer system can be distorted if you get it too tight and it can give you fits if it's not tight enough. I've had to tweek mine with a wet stone, some 600 grit paper and very careful lubrication more than once, so it's far from perfect. If I loaded more large primes I would just get another Dillon 550 and dedicate one to small primers and one to large primers. As it stands now I tend to keep it configured for small primers unless I need to run a big batch of large primer type rounds. It's the switching back and forth between large & small primers on the 550 that causes the headaches. Once you get it set up for one type it runs pretty well.

A friend of mine had an old progressive, not sure but I think it was a Lee. That thing would insert about 2% of the primers upside down no matter how careful you were or how you ran it. Never could figure out why.

I still have one old round trey Lee hand primer that I haven't managed to break (yet) and I'm too cheap to get another until it does break. They weren't high quality but they function surprisingly well despite the proprietary shell holders and pot metal handle. I wouldn't buy another one but this one has given me more that it owes me.

Rory McCanuck
09-08-2015, 01:42 AM
RCBS tube fed Bench Prime, Forster Prime tool, Forster Co-Ax, in that order.
RCBS is quick and easy, Forster is fiddly to set up and to fill tubes, Co-Ax is slow but accurate and idiot proof.
The Forster tool is newer to me, so I'm still learning its quirks, but it's a nice tool.
I just leave it set up for .473" rims, so I don't have to reset the shellholder all the time.
I've cut a corner and a groove out of an RCBS primer fllipper, and use that to fill the primer 'channel'. Much easier.

dromia
09-08-2015, 02:39 AM
I have found the RCBS APS, Hotnady LnL and the Redding priming system for their T7 turret press, although the primers have to manually pushed into position, to be actually faultless if I do my bit.

The worst has got to be the Lee cast turret priming system, too fiddly and poorly made to be worth any effort.

Ola
09-08-2015, 04:03 AM
My experience with Dillon 650 priming system.

25 000 rounds. 0 problems.

will52100
09-08-2015, 05:47 AM
From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, Lee has the worst reputation for primer issues. That said, I've not had much issue with the 3 Lee presses I own. I did have some issues with my Lee turret press when I started loading small pistol primers on it. Seems something was out of whack with the primer tray, replaced it and no more issues. I'll admit it's a somewhat funky design on the turret press, but it works well for me and keeps me from handling individual primers. I also have a Lee Loadmaster and a pro-1000. I've had some issues with the Pro-1000 with small pistol primers in the past, but after going through the system and de-buring any mold flash and cleaning the priming system I've not had any issues. Same with the LM. I did manage to crush 3 primers the other day when I changed caliber on it, turned out I hadn't tightened the shell plate down and it was too loose. My fault, not the machines.

The Dillon and RCBS and Hornady all are very nice systems, just cost more. If your handy and mechanically inclined non of the priming systems out there will give much issue.

starnbar
09-08-2015, 07:41 AM
I have the RCBS and the Dillon but depending on the cartridges I use which ever is the easiest for the priming I am doing I also have a Forster COAX and it works fine for me too.

tazman
09-08-2015, 07:20 PM
The worst has got to be the Lee cast turret priming system, too fiddly and poorly made to be worth any effort.

When I first got my Lee classic cast turret press I would have agreed with you. I took the system apart and cleaned the mold flashing out of it that was in the way and jamming up the primers. Took about 10 minutes with my exacto knife. Now it works flawlessly. I have primed over 4000 cases since then without a hiccup.

r1kk1
09-12-2015, 09:14 AM
From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, Lee has the worst reputation for primer issues. The Dillon and RCBS and Hornady all are very nice systems, just cost more. If your handy and mechanically inclined non of the priming systems out there will give much issue.

Lee has the least amount of shellplates for loading rifle compared to the other three. Sad. There are differences. Yeah, priming issues threads on the LM have populated many a thread.

Back to the OP, I have not owned a 650, 1050, the older 1000 super?, the 2000 with strip primers and Star. I have used these machines and not a priming issue. One of the gunsmiths I use and who built my 500 Linebaugh, uses a bench mounted RCBS tool non strip version. He loves it. Every night he reloads and never a complaint about the tool. My 550 was a 450 and I never had a problem with it. Fed a primer with every push of the button. Never had a problem on the Square Deal either.

On on a single stage, the CoAX, Redding and RCBS ram prime have never given me a problem. I'm looking at a Forster bench mounted tool but have not heard back if they could make me custom jaws to fit the 405 Winchester and 45 AR. I shoot and load wildcats based on the 405 from 25 caliber to 375. If not I may go the RCBS route with strips. I don't know yet. Loading primers one at a time is monotonous for me.

Take care

r1kk1

dragon813gt
09-12-2015, 09:37 AM
When I first got my Lee classic cast turret press I would have agreed with you. I took the system apart and cleaned the mold flashing out of it that was in the way and jamming up the primers. Took about 10 minutes with my exacto knife. Now it works flawlessly. I have primed over 4000 cases since then without a hiccup.

I spent time to get it aligned properly and learn how and where to touch it so it feeds every time. I've had no issues since I did this. I completely understand the frustration people have w/ it. My issue was more the pressure I was applying to it. Found out it needs a fairly light touch and should come from directly behind it. The only thing is that it won't feed the last few primers because there is no weight on the column anymore. I can live w/ this small issue.

rodsvet
09-12-2015, 10:03 AM
I agree with Jmorris and Ola. The 650 gets my vote.

tazman
09-12-2015, 02:24 PM
I spent time to get it aligned properly and learn how and where to touch it so it feeds every time. I've had no issues since I did this. I completely understand the frustration people have w/ it. My issue was more the pressure I was applying to it. Found out it needs a fairly light touch and should come from directly behind it. The only thing is that it won't feed the last few primers because there is no weight on the column anymore. I can live w/ this small issue.

Very true. The last 2-3 don't feed but that isn't really a problem as long as you know about it.

Rory McCanuck
09-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Very true. The last 2-3 don't feed but that isn't really a problem as long as you know about it.
Agreed. I had the Lee gizmo on my Challenger press, and I don't understand how people can have such troubles with
it. Once you make your peace with it and understand that the last 2 primers won't come out for love nor money, no matter how much you beg, cajole, or wheedle, it always worked well for me.