PDA

View Full Version : 44MAG....lever or revolver??????

bangerjim
09-05-2015, 11:43 AM
If you had $1k ready to spend on your next new (as in not used) toy, what would you buy, a carbine or a revolver?

I love both in several other cal's, but am torn where to plop the money down.

I normally lighter load most cal's and I know a full house 44 revolver load can almost dislocate your wrist. I love my 357Mag S&W 14 6" barrel.

No carry at all. Just fun shootin'. I have all the 44 cal loading dies, lots-o-brass, and several molds, and now I need a gun to feed.

Thought and comments appreciated.

chsparkman
09-05-2015, 11:58 AM
I see your dilemma. Both are so much fun. If it were me I'd go for the lever gun, but that's because I already have a SBH in .44 mag. Must be nice to be faced with such a tough choice.

9w1911
09-05-2015, 12:00 PM
I have both, and you need both. :)

outdoorfan
09-05-2015, 12:01 PM
You're going to get all kinds of answers, and none of them will be custom tailored to your specific needs/desires. Now, I doubt this new toy is based upon a "need", so choose what pleases you. Have fun and enjoy!

Since you asked which one I would choose, well..., I can't decide either. LOL!

Lefty Red
09-05-2015, 03:22 PM
The 44 magnum in a carbine is still a short range caliber. Its a hoot out of a pistol, but bland in a carbine. And I like it! :)

And a SAA clone in 44 magnum "rolls" and doesn't dislocate. :)

Jerry

GRUMPA
09-05-2015, 03:45 PM
I have both, a Winchester lever and a 8 3/8" revolver. By far the 1 I use the most is the lever, but there are draw-backs with what I use. For 1 thing I need range and with either 1 I don't have it since most shots are over 200yds. The issue comes into play with what projectiles your using....

I love using my pointy 44cal boolits, and that just isn't happening in the lever.

The revolver can eat anything, the lever I had to alter the ramp a bit to get semi-wad cutters to feed half-way decent.

runfiverun
09-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I may or may not have a revolver in 44 mag somewhere around here.[not positive, but if I do it's a Dan Wesson]
I KNOW I have a 445 super mag revolver, and three 44 mag lever guns here.
I can tell you exactly which gun cabinet and on what row/shelf they are located.

hicard
09-05-2015, 05:05 PM
If you want something light but still can handle 44 Mag then take a look at the S&W 69. A 5 shot that can handle 44 mag but is just right for 44 special. Otherwise, I would recommend a rifle or carbine.

NavyVet1959
09-05-2015, 05:08 PM
I have a Ruger Redhawk and a Rossi M92 in .44 mag and I'm pretty sure that I paid less than $1K for both of them combined. The Rossi is one of the older ones and looks better made than the new ones as far as I'm concerned. It's my new economical plinking rifle with round ball loads. I was originally looking for a lever action in .357 mag, but this one came up for $300 and I just couldn't resist the deal.

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/rossi-model-92-480w.jpg

EDK
09-05-2015, 05:25 PM
I'd buy a used MARLIN Cowboy Rifle in 44 Magnum...24 inch octagon barrel...to shoot AND hang on the wall because I love looking at mine. (The 44 is probably the cheapest; prices on the 357 are ridiculous!) Then I'd save my money and get either an Original Size RUGER Vaquero in 44; 5.5 or 7.5 inch barrel, stainless or blue, and install a SUPER BLACKHAWK hammer and a HUNTER grip frame with some nice grips.
It's a shame that you can't display your firearms except in a secured "man cave."

trapper9260
09-05-2015, 06:47 PM
I have a Redhawk and then got a use Marlin in 44 mag and I have them both shoot the same ammo so I am happy and it was under 1K.

paralaska
09-05-2015, 10:00 PM
I think your looking at about 12 to 13 hundred for both . . . So I'd just save up another couple hundred and get one of each . . .

Idaho Mule
09-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Just get both, Blackhawk and your choice of lever. Then,,,,, in a couple years you will need another revolver, 629 or Redhawk, and an old Ruger semi-auto carbine. and THEN,,,,,,, Well, you get the picture. JW

Bored1
09-05-2015, 11:08 PM
My vote goes to both! Either a redhawk or super Blackhawk and whichever lever you see that strikes your fancy. Personally I would look atnused ones with more "character" since they are normally lighter on the wallet!!!

winelover
09-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Have both...the one I find myself taking out in the field most, is the lever.

Winelover

BigAl52
09-06-2015, 09:18 AM
That choice is up to you but theres no need to load a 44 mag with wrist breaking type of loads to shoot it. If you need a hunting load or one like it 10 grains of unique and a 250 swc will do all the damage you need it to. Al

Petrol & Powder
09-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Agree with the others, there is no need to load the 44 mag to top velocity all of the time. The 44 caliber 250gr SWC pushed to 900-1000 fps in a revolver is a great "do-it-all" load. Accurate, adequate for 90%+ of the duties of a 44 and downright fun to shoot !!
Having said that, if I could buy a 44 revolver or a 44 carbine, I would have to go with the revolver. The carbine is fun but basically an overgrown pistol. It is pleasant to shoot and accurate at reasonable pistol ranges but if I had to have one or the other, the revolver would (and does) scratch that itch better.

Shuz
09-06-2015, 10:12 AM
I have 2/ea .44 levers, both Winchesters, and 11/ea .44 mag revolvers, and I find myself shooting revolvers every time I go to the range. I shoot the levers only occasionally, as the triggers are too hard for my liking. I'm currently working on one to try and make it manageable.

dragonrider
09-06-2015, 11:21 AM
You are going to want both, so for now just flip a coin.

DougGuy
09-06-2015, 11:36 AM
My vote? Redhawk in .44 mag!

First...

Then, a levergun of your choice. If I was going after a levergun, I would want one that doesn't have to have a special set of dies to make boolits -just- for the levergun.

Mauser48
09-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Id get a Ruger super Blackhawk just because they are great out of the box, feed all types of ammo, and no lost brass. The Rossi lever guns people seem to like but they do need some work. I have shot the Redhawk and it wasn't as comfortable as the Blackhawk. The grip shape is to good on it so it doesn't roll back in your hand it just goes straight back. I never shoot double action at the range either. A double action 44 is more for bear protection. Cant go wrong with any Ruger revolver.

Airman Basic
09-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Looking around, you can get a Rossi 44 and a Ruger 44 for around a thousand. No brainer.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56497/Rossi+44+Magnum+Lever+Action+w16%22+Round+Blue+Bar relWalnut
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_1814/products_id/70182/Ruger+0811+Super+Blackhawk+6RD+44MAG+5.5%22

Mike67
09-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Just for the hell of it how about a Rossi Ranch Hand. I have one they are fun to shoot but I also have lever action rifle and 3 revolvers.

OverMax
09-06-2015, 01:58 PM
I have had a couple different Redhawks over the years. With and without scope rings. I kept only one. The stainless 7.5 Redhawk wo/rings model reason being I tried mounting a Leupold 2-1/2 power LER matching metal scope on its prior Redhawk Brother and without a doubt I spent more time looking at scope black out's than shooting the gun.
I also have a Ruger semi-auto 44 rifle which has been a safe queen here for 20-plus years and the original box it came in new. Only reason I keep it is I think I needed a reminder of Rugers overnight ability to discontinue anything they make at whim. Which is Ruger's prerogative but can be a disappointment to their customers.
Once when I was flush with cash after returning from 3-day vacation in Los Vegas one winter. I bought a Winchester 94 Trapper model (no-botton model) 44 mag which I shot a few times and traded it for something better a H/K P7-M13 new in the box. So I've had a few experience's with the 44 mag cartridge ownership. 44 mag its a fun caliber for target shooting due to its versatile ability to shoot very accurate 44 special loading's. But in a hot powerful magnum loading its too much cartridge for the average C/C fellow> like me.
For deer hunting a 44 mag in a rifle.__ Not as good as the old 30-30 bottle neck cartridge. Performance wise IMO it isn't.

William Yanda
09-06-2015, 06:19 PM
I have a Ruger Redhawk and a Rossi M92 in .44 mag and I'm pretty sure that I paid less than $1K for both of them combined. The Rossi is one of the older ones and looks better made than the new ones as far as I'm concerned. It's my new economical plinking rifle with round ball loads. I was originally looking for a lever action in .357 mag, but this one came up for $300 and I just couldn't resist the deal.

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/rossi-model-92-480w.jpg
For $3 bills, I'd live with that humongous loop on the lever.

NavyVet1959
09-06-2015, 06:28 PM
For $3 bills, I'd live with that humongous loop on the lever.

Agreed... Although I will admit that I find the normal size lever a bit tight fitting on my hands, especially if I'm wearing gloves, so the larger lever might even be somewhat practical. I don't do rapid fire with a lever action, so the large loop lever being supposedly slower doesn't bother me.

I was originally looking for a lever in .357 mag, but I have 1000 pieces of .44 mag brass, so I figured that I would shoot it more than the .45-70 Marlin that I also own just because I don't have that much in .45-70 brass.

runfiverun
09-06-2015, 11:43 PM
those loops ain't all that hard to mash down to fit your hand.
they made them big like that just so guy's could modify them to fit their bigger hand size.
I just learned to leave my little finger out of the loop.
the wife holds the whole loop as part of the grip and opens it with her thumb and closes it with her fingers.
I think that's why she flings brass to the left.

NavyVet1959
09-07-2015, 02:03 AM
those loops ain't all that hard to mash down to fit your hand.
they made them big like that just so guy's could modify them to fit their bigger hand size.
I just learned to leave my little finger out of the loop.
the wife holds the whole loop as part of the grip and opens it with her thumb and closes it with her fingers.
I think that's why she flings brass to the left.

I don't cycle the action until I have evaluated where my previous shot ended up, and even then, I usually hold my hand over it to catch my brass. Completely different than how a lever action was designed to be used, I guess... I figure that if I want to cycle through a lot of ammo, I have semi-autos for that. :)

winelover
09-07-2015, 07:39 AM
I don't cycle the action until I have evaluated where my previous shot ended up, and even then, I usually hold my hand over it to catch my brass. Completely different than how a lever action was designed to be used, I guess... I figure that if I want to cycle through a lot of ammo, I have semi-autos for that. :)

Your not alone.......I do the same.

Winelover

Speedo66
09-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Both. For less than $1100 you can get a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Rossi lever action from Bud's.

Why choose?

bangerjim
09-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Both. For less than $1100 you can get a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Rossi lever action from Bud's.

Why choose?

I have always purchased all my firearms locally and not on the net. ( I rarely buy ANYTHING on the net. I try to keep the money in my state!) That way I have a local warranty and support.

What is up with this Bud's place? Never heard of it. What are all the fees involved? How about shipping and taxes? That all adds up real fast.

Blackwater
09-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Well, might as well throw in my 2 cents. If it was me, I'd get a plain ol' Ruger Super Blackhawk with a good leather holster, and possibly a good ctg. belt. Guns are great, but we forget that sometimes they need to be carried. There's a good deal going on still at bullets.com where they're having a great sale on holsters, but I don't know if they have any left for the SB, so you'd have to check on that. There's nothin' like a good piece of leather!

The reason this would be my choice is very simply that it's one of the two great tutors for a shooter. The .45 auto teaches the value of a good follow-through, and the SB will, if you let it, teach you the value and utility of a good, consistent and firm grip. As such, it's one of my 2 favorite guns, the 2nd being the 1911. The 3rd would have to be a M-19 Smith or the lil' Ruger Std. or Target autos. They're kind'a tied.

Or, if you're into easily carried guns in .44, you could maybe get a Ruger New Vaquero with adj. sights in a 4 5/8" barrel. VERY nice shooting gun, and it'll kill anything in my neck of the woods that needs killing, and carries nicely and is very fun to shoot. Just a tad cheaper to feed, as well.

All kinds of ways to skin this cat, and the best thing is there's really no wrong answer. It's really a GOOD thing to have enough extra around to let our emotions reign occasionally.

Then too, there's those nice but pricey Freedom Arms revolvers, too ..... so many guns, so little time! But that's a GOOD problem to have!

Speedo66
09-07-2015, 10:28 PM
I have always purchased all my firearms locally and not on the net. ( I rarely buy ANYTHING on the net. I try to keep the money in my state!) That way I have a local warranty and support.

What is up with this Bud's place? Never heard of it. What are all the fees involved? How about shipping and taxes? That all adds up real fast.

Bud's is probably one of the largest firearms retailers in the country, and usually have a wider selection and lower prices than local shops. Fees? None, they ship new guns free and unless you live in the state from where they operate, KY, you should pay no sales tax. Your only additional outlay would be your local FFL fee for receiving them, probably less than your local sales tax would have been.

Here's their Ruger revolver http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70178/Ruger+0810+Super+Blackhawk+6RD+44MAG+5.5%22

Here's their Rossi lever action http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56496/Rossi+44+Magnum+Lever+Action+w20%22+Round+Blue+Bar relWalnut

bikerbeans
09-07-2015, 11:58 PM
NV59,

I'm with you on not flinging brass from my lever guns. I open the action slowly until the ejector just starts to push the case out of the port and I grab it with my left hand. I hate looking for expensive brass in tall, dew soaked grass.

BB

NavyVet1959
09-08-2015, 02:01 AM
NV59,

I'm with you on not flinging brass from my lever guns. I open the action slowly until the ejector just starts to push the case out of the port and I grab it with my left hand. I hate looking for expensive brass in tall, dew soaked grass.

I hate just having to *bend over* to pick up the brass! :)

Lonegun1894
09-08-2015, 02:34 AM
The true question is which to get first, and that is something that only you can really answer. I don't think there is a wrong answer here, but it is just a matter of finding something you like that feels good in your hands and that you will enjoy shooting. If at all possible, I would say get both.

You mentioned having molds, but didn't say what size they cast, so I would remind you that many .44 Mag rifles have larger bores than .44 Mag handguns due to a different SAAMI spec for them calling for .432" vs .430", so keep that in mind. Aside from that, I have two .44 Mag rifles and a .44 Mag SBH and a .44 Mag Contender, so I like them all, but it really depends on what you want to do with this gun. I mean, I trust my handguns to just over 100yds, but the rifles to 150-200yds after a lot of practice with both. So I don't buy into them being close range only tools. Having said that, I like to shoot to see how far I can get reliable accuracy against paper but try to hunt in as close as possible, to the point of being accused of bowhunting regardless of what weapon I happen to be using.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-08-2015, 07:30 AM
If you had $1k ready to spend on your next new (as in not used) toy, what would you buy, a carbine or a revolver?

I love both in several other cal's, but am torn where to plop the money down.

I normally lighter load most cal's and I know a full house 44 revolver load can almost dislocate your wrist. I love my 357Mag S&W 14 6" barrel.

No carry at all. Just fun shootin'. I have all the 44 cal loading dies, lots-o-brass, and several molds, and now I need a gun to feed.

Thought and comments appreciated.
Going on "precisely" what you asked, I'd say this:
I've been wanting to 'try out' a Henry Big Boy, to see if they shoot as nice as they look. I think you can have your LGS bring one in for under $1k.

Petrol & Powder
09-08-2015, 08:16 AM

Not sure I follow your "keep the money in your state" philosophy because all you are doing is placing another link in the distribution chain and everyone collects their profit as the product passes through their link.
When ordering guns from an out of state distributor one MUST consider all costs (shipping, FFL transfer fees, etc. ). Sometimes even after adding up the cost of the gun, shipping and transfer fees; the final cost is still lower than purchasing the gun locally. In those situations it makes sense to purchase the gun from the lower cost source. I look at it as using the internet to keep the local gun dealers competitive.

That's for new guns, for used guns the internet opens up your potential inventory considerably. Some guns are so rare that the odds of finding one locally are incredibly steep. By using the internet to find that special gun you open up your potential market and improve your odds of finding the particular gun you seek.

Some people see the internet as a threat to "bricks & mortar" stores but I see it as a tool to keep the "bricks & mortar" stores honest and competitive.

Competition in a free market is a good thing!!

Maximumbob54
09-08-2015, 08:42 AM
I bought a Rossi and don't regret it one bit. I keep meaning to order a spring kit for it, swap out the plastic mag tube follower, and get the DVD that shows how to slick it up but really as it is from the box I think it shoots plenty well enough. It cost me half as much as a Henry and at the time Marlins weren't available from the Remlin transformation. For a $1K spending limit it might be worth it to search out a Browning or Winchester but I just couldn't pass up the intro price on the Rossi. Find one local to you that you can work the action and feel if it's a good one as some of them are a little rougher than the one right next to it. And mine will feed anything I've tried as long as they aren't too long to move from the tube. Obligatory pic to show proof of ownership and not just talking out the butt:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x333/Maximumbob54/2013-01-22_20-18-30_398_zpsd9d8d423.jpg (http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/Maximumbob54/media/2013-01-22_20-18-30_398_zpsd9d8d423.jpg.html)

44man
09-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Twist on the Marlin is 1 in 38" and nothing will shoot past 50 yards except maybe a RB.
Find a lever gun with 1 in 20" or forget that one.
Get a SBH Hunter or a SRH. You can't shoot heavy enough loads to hurt you. Both will out shoot any .44 rifle.

bikerbeans
09-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Twist on the Marlin is 1 in 38" and nothing will shoot past 50 yards except maybe a RB.
Get a SBH Hunter or a SRH. You can't shoot heavy enough loads to hurt you. Both will out shoot any .44 rifle.

Proof please.

BB

Artful
09-08-2015, 01:16 PM

Really - so 2-3 inch groups with Iron sights at 100 are just too big for you from a Marlin - what size groups are you getting with 1:20 twist?

Airman Basic
09-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Got an old 44 Marlin with microgroove. Started shooting cast in it before the internet told me I couldn't. Still haven't told the rifle and it still shoots good with cast. Old Williams and factory front sight. They told me I couldn't do that either.

Petrol & Powder
09-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Got an old 44 Marlin with microgroove. Started shooting cast in it before the internet told me I couldn't. Still haven't told the rifle and it still shoots good with cast. Old Williams and factory front sight. They told me I couldn't do that either.

I bet you run with scissors too ! :-D

Don't tell the rifle, it doesn't need to know.

44man
09-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Really - so 2-3 inch groups with Iron sights at 100 are just too big for you from a Marlin - what size groups are you getting with 1:20 twist?
Never knew where a boolit would go. Might get a couple close then out to a foot or miss paper. No stability at all. I shot a deer at 65 yards and missed my aim point by 10" but since it was left, I took her in front more and killed her, I hate to think about 10" right.
It is not a joke.
You want to see 1 in 20"? How about a Ruger SBH at 100 off hand?148593 3/4". Now I get carried away with a group of 1-5/16" at 200 yards. 148594
You asked so let us see what a Marlin does.
If you get 2" to 3" at 100 with opens, please share the load, I am all ears.
I worked for 3 years with it and used every thing you can load, then got an offer to convert the gun to another caliber and it was a relief to dump it.
I complained to Marlin and was sent a copy of GREENHILL, GET OFF MY BACK!
Why did Marlin change the .444 to 1 in 20"?

44man
09-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Proof please.

BB
Ever watch BB'S from a Red Rider? It is what you shoot with no spin. I can prove what works but failures are not kept.
You ask for proof but please show I am wrong.

Fishman
09-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Banger, a nice load of Unique and a 240-265 gr boolit running at 1000 fps is fun from a revolver or rifle.

bikerbeans
09-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Ever watch BB'S from a Red Rider? It is what you shoot with no spin. I can prove what works but failures are not kept.
You ask for proof but please show I am wrong.

Since you had one rifle that wouldn't group your conclusion is all 1:38 twist 44s will not group. Interesting thinking.

BB

Lefty Red
09-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Can't believe there isn't anyone saying to get a Henry? I think they are great rifles in the 44 Magnum, maybe their best chambering in their Big Boy.

Jerry

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-10-2015, 08:17 AM
Going on "precisely" what you asked, I'd say this:
I've been wanting to 'try out' a Henry Big Boy, to see if they shoot as nice as they look. I think you can have your LGS bring one in for under $1k.

Can't believe there isn't anyone saying to get a Henry? I think they are great rifles in the 44 Magnum, maybe their best chambering in their Big Boy.

Jerry
Ya didn't read the whole thread, did ya [smilie=1:

Lefty Red
09-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Ya didn't read the whole thread, did ya [smilie=1:

OK, I can't believe MORE haven't suggested a Henry. :)
Eyes must have been glazed over with all the "how great a Rossi is" posts. :)

Jerry, on second cup of coffee.....

NavyVet1959
09-10-2015, 03:45 PM
OK, I can't believe MORE haven't suggested a Henry. :)
Eyes must have been glazed over with all the "how great a Rossi is" posts. :)

Jerry, on second cup of coffee.....

I think many of us were trying to give an option that would allow the OP to get both a handgun and a rifle for $1K. The .44 mag steel Henry is currently $657 over at Bud's Gun Shop. A Marlin is around $600. A Rossi rifle can be had brand new for less that $500. The Ruger Red Hawk is around $800 (depending upon model) and a Super Blackhawk is around $581. So, it's quite possible to get both the rifle and the revolver for pretty close to $1K if one of the options is the Rossi. And, if you go the used market, it's definitely possible to find a deal that will get you both for $1K.

bangerjim
09-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all the comments and ideas. Got a local show coming up next week and I will be prowling the isles. I like private sales and have made some good deals that way in the past.

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinks:

Lefty Red
09-10-2015, 04:35 PM
I think many of us were trying to give an option that would allow the OP to get both a handgun and a rifle for $1K. The .44 mag steel Henry is currently $657 over at Bud's Gun Shop. A Marlin is around $600. A Rossi rifle can be had brand new for less that $500. The Ruger Red Hawk is around $800 (depending upon model) and a Super Blackhawk is around $581. So, it's quite possible to get both the rifle and the revolver for pretty close to $1K if one of the options is the Rossi. And, if you go the used market, it's definitely possible to find a deal that will get you both for $1K.
True, but with the Henry or Marlin, its just load and shoot. I haven't heard of many Rossi's that didn't need something done to them. And to me, that is worth an extra $100-$200. I just was never one to buy a weapon and then send it off to work on it. Never made sense to me. But then I would rather have one great weapon than two or three mediocre ones. And I think the OP is thinking the same. The extra money spent in the first 44 magnum is well worth it. A well balanced 4"-5.5" Red/Black Hawk or the Hunter version is pure pleasure. Same with a slick Henry or Marlin. Have have yet to hear of a Rossi referred to as either.

Jerry

NavyVet1959
09-10-2015, 04:47 PM
True, but with the Henry or Marlin, its just load and shoot. I haven't heard of many Rossi's that didn't need something done to them. And to me, that is worth an extra $100-$200. I just was never one to buy a weapon and then send it off to work on it. Never made sense to me. But then I would rather have one great weapon than two or three mediocre ones. And I think the OP is thinking the same. The extra money spent in the first 44 magnum is well worth it. A well balanced 4"-5.5" Red/Black Hawk or the Hunter version is pure pleasure. Same with a slick Henry or Marlin. Have have yet to hear of a Rossi referred to as either.

A lot of people who are definite Marlin fans are avoiding the ones manufactured by Remington (aka "Remlins"). But, then again, the Rossi models that are currently being imported don't seem as nice as the older Interarms ones.

Lefty Red
09-10-2015, 05:02 PM
I know the finish isn't as good. I miss that beautiful blue and satin. The "express" finish they have now sucks! But the working if the Remlins seems to be the same on the new ones I looked at.

But then the old ones are running $200-$300 higher than the new ones. So.......

Lefty Red
09-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Anthony at Henry should have jumped on the lever gun with steel frame a LONG time ago. He could have cornered the market.

Jerry

bikerbeans
09-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the comments and ideas. Got a local show coming up next week and I will be prowling the isles. I like private sales and have made some good deals that way in the past.

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinks:

Good luck with your 44 search and I hope you get a sweet deal on a nice lever or revolver. Also, my apologies for helping move your thread off message.

BB

Bill*B
09-10-2015, 09:33 PM
A revolver is "Oh- so handy" - it's right there! What a comfort if there is an odd noise in the night. A carbine is three times as accurate - great if you need meat for the table. Tough choice. It depends on your needs.

44man
09-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Since you had one rifle that wouldn't group your conclusion is all 1:38 twist 44s will not group. Interesting thinking.

BB
Never been shown other wise. Once past 50 yards they go to pot. .444 shooters with the increased velocity could not make them work.

bikerbeans
09-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Last year I put two whitetails in my freezer with a 1:38 twist 444 marlin using 341g JFN bullets. One shot DRTs at 65 yards, so a 444 will shoot if fed the right ammo.

BB

Djei5
09-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Never been shown other wise. Once past 50 yards they go to pot. .444 shooters with the increased velocity could not make them work. I have a 1995 1:38 twist shooting 265 grain boolits at 156 yards less than 1.5".
You should check your facts before posting...You have one rifle you couldn't group and you make the decision that all are the same.
I believe I will disregard all your posts in the future using your logic.
They are probably all as illogically thought out as this one.
Marlin owners is a good place to see amazing groups with .44 mag rifles and .444 as well.:hijack:

44man
09-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Can't go against physics. Spin too slow and any good group is a fluke. Yes, I had 3 shots in one hole at 100 but never found the rest. I did when I put a 4'x4' cardboard up. barrel was perfect, no tight spots, no leading. .432" RD did one hole at 50 but at 100??? It has been proven the .44 rifle should be 1 in 20" to a max of 1 in 25".

pull the trigger
09-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Djei5, 44man is an enormous wealth of info and you are a brand new baby here. Calm down.

I only look at used guns. I have been bitten by problems in them but usually because I was too hasty and failed to look them over properly. I think I paid $700 for my Marlin and SBH all together. So get both!!

bangerjim
09-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info, but this thread is getting waaaaaaay out of hand. Fighting and veiled threats among the members is not good! I just asked for simple ideas on 44MAG's.

BigAl52
09-12-2015, 10:02 PM

Jerry

I agree here with you 100%. One guy said his Rossi was half the price of the Henry. Hmmm tell me where I can get the Rossi for 350.00 and I will buy one. The Henrys can be had for about 700 and I don't think the Rossi's are 350.00. Al

Djei5
09-13-2015, 09:47 AM
I am brand new here, I am not brand new with my guns. My 444 is minute of angle every single time I shoot it right. I shoot 265 grain pills out of it, anything heavier and the groups start to open up. My two Marlin 44 mags are also excellent shooters. I am calm, just pointing out that one persons opinion doesn't trump fact no matter how much he actually knows. If velocity, weight, and twist are all accounted, then amazing groups can happen. Bangerjim, no matter what you decide to go with, a 44 magnum is just plain fun. My Super Blackhawk is punishing if I push my loads. My 336 Texan and 1894 will shoot a single hole at 50 yards and less than 2" at 100 yards. And they don't hurt as much!

NavyVet1959
09-13-2015, 11:12 AM
I agree here with you 100%. One guy said his Rossi was half the price of the Henry. Hmmm tell me where I can get the Rossi for 350.00 and I will buy one. The Henrys can be had for about 700 and I don't think the Rossi's are 350.00. Al

I paid $300 for mine this year. Sometimes, you just luck out on a deal.

Lonegun1894
09-13-2015, 09:59 PM
I paid $400 for my .44 Mag Rossi a few months ago, but it was marked as used. Looking at it, it's more like they took it out of the safe, wiped it with an oiled rag, and put it back.

44man
09-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Long ago they used smooth bores standing in a stupid line, first row fired then went down so the second could fire. Never hit much, just lead in the air. Then the PA long rifle came in to kill at long ranges. RIFLING. Amazing thing to spin a boolit.
Then Greenhill figured something for the cannons of the time and some stupid tried to make it work for rifles. Doesn't work and when I complained to Marlin, they sent me the Greenhill junk. Why did they change the .444 to 1 in 20"? Most .44 mag riles were made 1 in 38" But some have popped up with the right twist. A pigs ear will never make a silk dress. I don't know the Henry twist or the Rossi but if it is 1 in 38" they can melt them down before I buy one.

Lefty Red
09-14-2015, 07:33 PM
I paid $400 for my .44 Mag Rossi a few months ago, but it was marked as used. Looking at it, it's more like they took it out of the safe, wiped it with an oiled rag, and put it back.

I found a 20" round barrel Rossi with a forward mounted scope mount. $450 new. Action was really good in fact.

Jerry

NavyVet1959
09-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Long ago they used smooth bores standing in a stupid line, first row fired then went down so the second could fire. Never hit much, just lead in the air.

Well, we have rifling these days and there's a pretty good chance that we expend more rounds per actual enemy killed than they did back then. Supposedly, the rate is 250,000 rounds fired per insurgent killed.

http://jonathanturley.org/2011/01/10/gao-u-s-has-fired-250000-rounds-for-every-insurgent-killed

According to this figure from the War of Northern Aggression, approximately 100 rounds per casualty.

https://books.google.com/books?id=NWNMfgrUC90C&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=rounds+fired+per+casualty&source=bl&ots=FPYRuv64HD&sig=uS8DRX5f5XCCLTez5sg-ZpDFajo&hl=en&ei=j_5CTrGSGsWEtgf17Lm8CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result#v=onepage&q=rounds%20fired%20per%20casualty&f=false

Lonegun1894
09-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Long ago they used smooth bores standing in a stupid line, first row fired then went down so the second could fire. Never hit much, just lead in the air. Then the PA long rifle came in to kill at long ranges. RIFLING. Amazing thing to spin a boolit.
Then Greenhill figured something for the cannons of the time and some stupid tried to make it work for rifles. Doesn't work and when I complained to Marlin, they sent me the Greenhill junk. Why did they change the .444 to 1 in 20"? Most .44 mag riles were made 1 in 38" But some have popped up with the right twist. A pigs ear will never make a silk dress. I don't know the Henry twist or the Rossi but if it is 1 in 38" they can melt them down before I buy one.

I can't speak for the Henry, but I have Rossi 92s in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt, all use the same 1:30" ROT, and they all shoot just fine. My H&R .44 Mag is 1:38" ROT, and shoots just fine also. I have Winchester 1894s in .357 and .45 also, and want to say they have either 1:16" or 1:18" ROT, and while they shoot just fine, they don't shoot any better than my Rossi 92s. If I was trying to use the lightest or heaviest boolits available or trying to push them at minimum or maximum velocities, I bet my results would be different, but with standard loads, I have never had a problem with any of them.

Jeeper44mag
09-17-2015, 09:16 AM

BWAHAHAHAHA!! You obviously don't own one. My Marlin 1894P is 1 MOA accurate with WWB 240 gr. JSP loads.

Only make comments about things you have experience with, or you just look like silly.

As to the OP, you won't regret either one. I own two .44 carbines (one Ruger semi-auto, one Marlin 1894P), and two .44 handguns (both S&W 29's). ALL of them do well with WWB 240gr JSP's. The Ruger does slightly better with Hornady's LeveRevolution Ammo, but is only 5-6 MOA accurate with anything. The Marlin is 1 MOA with the WWB, and I would not hesitate to drop a deer/hog at 150 yds with it. My wife shot one at ~95 yds that only ran ~30-35 yds before it dropped year before last.

Luis

Artful
09-17-2015, 04:07 PM
You know one thing I failed to ask 44Man is what ammo he was getting the bad groups with. I notice some are comparing jacketed grouping to his bad experience and as I remember I had to use a gas checked to get my best accuracy out of my Marlin as it didn't like the plain base loads I use in the revolvers.

starmac
09-20-2015, 01:40 PM
I know the op is talking new, but I have 2 stainless sbh's and a winchester 44, with the sum total of 1000 in all three of them. This does not count holsters, but the win did come with a williams sight.

I know they are used, though the sbh's was very lightly, but I can't imagine new ones being any more fun to shoot.

bangerjim
09-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Problem SOLVED.

Super Redhawk with 7.5" barrel!

banger

starmac
09-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Bbbbut, I'm more of an sbh kind of guy.

I would say to the op, get what you have or a need for first. In 78 I bought my first 44 handgun (interarms dragoon) I really had no need or use for it, just a want and happened to stop in a small country gun store that had had it for 4 years without a sale, so he made me a deal I couldn't, or at least didn't refuse. At the time I actually, or thought I had a use for a 44 rifle, so that weekend I bought a ruger semiauto carbine. This was in Texas, now fast forward a number of years, I finally moved to Alaska, and actually have a use for a handgun (got to justify them you know) but not a 44 rifle, but have once again picked one up anyway.
Soooo it is inevitable, you will have to have both eventually, I say get the one you will shoot the most first. lol

bangerjim
09-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Wifey says noooooooooooooooo, but I KNOW I WILL have both! Got the Redhawk for now and will eventually find the carbine. I like wheelguns.....they will eat perrrrrdy much anything you stuff in 'em! I needs ta get me a round ball mold in 44 now! RB's are fun shootin'.

banger

NavyVet1959
09-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Wifey says noooooooooooooooo, but I KNOW I WILL have both! Got the Redhawk for now and will eventually find the carbine. I like wheelguns.....they will eat perrrrrdy much anything you stuff in 'em! I needs ta get me a round ball mold in 44 now! RB's are fun shootin'.

I have the Lee 0.440" round ball mold that I use for low power .44 mag rounds. Lubing with Alox+JPW and dusting with talc. Bullet weight is averaging 124.6 gr. Average powder charge (over a 10 charge measure) is 4.16 gr of Alliant Promo (Red Dot equiv). Have fired them out of a Rossi .44 mag lever action and they are pretty quiet. VERY low recoil -- perfect replacement for a .22LR for introducing new / young shooters to the sport.

For 50 rounds:
Powder: $0.383
Primers: $1.15
Lead+lube: $1.335
Total: $2.868

So, $2.87 for 50 rounds. And if you have a bullet trap where you can recover your lead, you can easily reduce by another buck.

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/44-mag-round-ball-320w.jpg

bangerjim
09-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a plan. I have RB molds for most of the other cal's I cast & load for. Gotta expand my stable!

One does not always need to shoot ear-splittin-wrist-breakin loads!

Us olde shooters like them too!

banger

Lonegun1894
09-20-2015, 09:29 PM
I have the Lee 0.440" round ball mold that I use for low power .44 mag rounds. Lubing with Alox+JPW and dusting with talc. Bullet weight is averaging 124.6 gr. Average powder charge (over a 10 charge measure) is 4.16 gr of Alliant Promo (Red Dot equiv). Have fired them out of a Rossi .44 mag lever action and they are pretty quiet. VERY low recoil -- perfect replacement for a .22LR for introducing new / young shooters to the sport.

For 50 rounds:
Powder: $0.383
Primers: $1.15
Lead+lube: $1.335
Total: $2.868

So, $2.87 for 50 rounds. And if you have a bullet trap where you can recover your lead, you can easily reduce by another buck.

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/44-mag-round-ball-320w.jpg

When you say pretty quiet, we wouldn't be talking back yard pest-control quiet, would we? Always looking for quieter loads. :)

bangerjim
09-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Check your local laws. Where I live, discharging ANYTHING that is propelled by either a primer or gun powder is illegal, no matter how low the power or quite the loa, and is classified as a class 5 or 6 felony (potentially).

That is why I have airguns, CO2 BB rifles/pistols, and a crossbow........

banger

NavyVet1959
09-20-2015, 11:50 PM
When you say pretty quiet, we wouldn't be talking back yard pest-control quiet, would we? Always looking for quieter loads. :)

Around here, it's that quiet and I am not hesitant of using it as such, even though it is against city ordinances. A single shot, late at night doesn't really draw attention around here since most of the houses are brick and no one leaves their windows open. In the daytime, I'm not particularly inclined to do it since there are always some joggers or people walking their dogs and as such, it might be noticed. Still, it's more difficult for someone to determine where the sound of a shot comes from if it is just a single shot.

Where I'm at, it's also against a city ordinance to fire an airgun on your property. I've killed quite a few doves and grackles sitting on the power line behind my home though with an airgun.

Lonegun1894
09-21-2015, 12:13 AM
Check your local laws. Where I live, discharging ANYTHING that is propelled by either a primer or gun powder is illegal, no matter how low the power or quite the loa, and is classified as a class 5 or 6 felony (potentially).

That is why I have airguns, CO2 BB rifles/pistols, and a crossbow........

banger

Good warning, and appreciated, but here it is kind of a gray area. Basically, it's against city ordinance, but that has the weight of a speeding ticket (at worst) as long as it doesn't leave my property. If it does, I would have problems, but for that, they don't differentiate weather it is a pellet gun or a .50 BMG because to them, a projectile is a projectile regardless of what it is. State law says it is against the law for my projectile to leave my property, so I go by that. Keeping it quiet is more of a matter of courtesy to my neighbors, and not so much a matter of trying to "get away with something". I have quiet loads, and have given a lot of them to several LEOs in my city for putting down road kill and such without disturbing entire neighborhoods, so they know I do it, but they also know I sit on my roof and shoot down at enough of an angle that ricochets aren't an issue, especially with the raised beds of my garden providing a perfectly safe back stop. I have a safe way to do it, and have discreet loads worked up for several of my guns, but I figure there is always room for improvement, so always trying to learn.

g5m
09-23-2015, 10:51 AM
This has been an interesting thread.