PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 and reloading the LeverEvolution cases...

dlbarr
09-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Cooking up several loads this week and finally got down to my supply of LE cases. Thought I'd do 50 specifically for the 1895 and use these. When it came time to install the bullets (RCBS 45-400-FN GC) they started snug but about halfway in, they'd slide right down on top of the powder charge. Didn't try all 50, but 8-10 all did the same thing. I tried several NOE 460-405-FN GC bullets....same result.

I've reloaded LE cases many times in the past and never had this experience. Anybody else ever run into this?

rpludwig
09-05-2015, 07:12 AM
LE cases are shorter than normal....may have to adjust your sizing die?

dh2
09-05-2015, 02:52 PM
I had to get a set of Hornady dies for my 45-70 and 444Marlin so I could load Hornady LE brass because Lee dies would not adjust down far enfough

bigbore52
09-06-2015, 07:46 AM
You will find that the Hornady brass is about 60thou shorter than usual...when compared to Starline brass for example....the Hornady dies I believe; are designed and manufactured for their own proprietary brass and jacketed pills (would need to check that with SAAMI) and will work quite well for them only.

In my measuring and comparing the two cases (Hornady and Starline), the Hornady COAL with their plastic tip is to the prescribed dimensions given in BCOTW even though their brass is 60 thou shorter - the overall length is taken up in the extra length of the plastic tip to make it the prescribed COAL

This creates other problems - Due to the shorter length of the Hornady case, using their sizing and flaring die on other cases will result in less travel into the dies and cause issues with the flare itself as you may not have enough adjustment to do it properly - additionally the depth of travel for sizing is reduced as I will explain.

When you come to loading with their sliding guide, that is also made for the tipped projectile shape so you may find a groove around your flat nose pill and equally will not be a proper fitting given it is cut to the tipped shape, not flat nose....that in itself is not an issue if seating is smooth but consider that the cast 45/70 FN is usually crimped, it depends very much on the shape of the pill and where the crimping groove is in reference to the adjustment needed

Also if you look at the flaring die in the Hornady 3 die set I referred to before, it is made from one solid piece and there is no adjustment for case mouth diameter nor a separate removable button - you are restricted to what it is ie 458 as with the depth of the sizing button and that can cause issues if you use casts greater than 458 sized pills and equally longer projectiles that may extend further into the case. Due to the tightness of the sized neck diameter, cast pills can place extra strain on forcing the pill into the case and as mentioned if the sizing button does not size deep enough, could be 10-15 thou is not sized and cause it to buckle or cut lead even if it is cast to 458, there is no tolerance outside that size which makes it less suitable for casts in my opinion. Shorter pills will not have that problem but again, that limits what you can use

That said, I believe the Hornady dies are some of the best but in my opinion their 45/70 is not made for other than Hornady brass and their jacketed LE projectiles ...if you wish to use cast pills then I would suggest you look at other manufacturers or cheaper option, purchase those dies that are adaptable such as the Lee or RCBS sizing to name a couple......just my opinion and hope it helps

Lostknife
09-10-2015, 05:42 PM
I use a Lee factory crimp die on my cast bullets and to facilitate the shorter HORNADY brass I chucked the die in my lathe and cut 0.050" off the end of it. Works perfect that is for HORNADY brass. My other 45-70 dies are Bonanza and work perfect for the forming , expanding and seating etc for all the Hornady and other manufacturer users cases but the Lee needed that length reduction for the HORNADY cases only. I have two Lee factory crimp dies one for HORNADY and one for all the rest at standard length.

Lost