PDA

View Full Version : Ever Cast/Load Because You Don't Have that Caliber?

Butchman205
09-04-2015, 10:24 PM
I found myself casting to load a couple thou 9mm...because I don't have any thing in that caliber.
I think this is either getting excessive, or just plain fun!!!

Tatume
09-05-2015, 06:46 AM
That begs the questions, what to do with them now? Do you have a drill press and an ocean-capable boat? If you drill a hole down the center, you can push them into the heads of rubber squid. Then troll the squids around floating clumps of seaweed. The mahi-mahi will be driven wild, and you'll enjoy lots of wonderful fish for dinner.

Budzilla 19
09-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Cast and load .44 magnums, don't even own a .44!!! (I think it's getting out of hand)!!! Lol

GhostHawk
09-05-2015, 08:29 AM
I have cast and loaded at least 400 rounds of 9mm and I don't own one.

I have a friend with a 9mm pistol and I have thought of picking up a 9mm carbine.

Each new cartridge has some costs associated with it tooling up.
But to offset that there is the fun of picking a new or existing mold, perhaps adding a sizing die.

Besides who knows, might need those rounds of .44 mag someday.

blikseme300
09-05-2015, 09:05 AM
It's easier to get a pistol or rifle than the molds, dies, brass and powder so nothing wrong about the sequence. I have been known to buy firearms just because I had all the other pieces in place...

Harry O
09-05-2015, 09:55 AM
I bought a .32 Long Colt mould (the hollow-base version) fairly cheap a while back. I cast up a bunch of bullets before I ended up buying a gun for it. And a set of dies. And another mould. And some cases. And another gun. You get the picture.

toallmy
09-05-2015, 11:52 AM
I got a good deal on a seaco#52wc mold.so I got a 6in ruger for it .l allready had the mold handels.I think it makes sense.

mdi
09-05-2015, 12:09 PM
I've never cast bullets for a gun I didn't have as all my molds come after I get a gun and slug it. But, I have purchased a rifle because I had several hundred .30 cal bullets and 5 lbs. of appropriate powder...

bangerjim
09-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Of course!

dondiego
09-05-2015, 02:04 PM
I am left handed and have bought left handed holsters for firearms that I don't own because good left sided holsters are hard to find. If you have a nice new holster.............well, you sure have a good reason to buy something to properly fill it!

oldfart1956
09-05-2015, 09:06 PM
A few years back I bought a big reloading/casting deal and it came with a bunch'a molds for .44 caliber. Didn't own one. Don't really care for the .44 magnum. Ended up buying a Ruger .44 mag. , and a scope&mounts. And a holster. Still don't shoot it much...but I had the molds. (?) Never cottoned much to the 9mm. But...I had a few molds from the same purchase. Arrrgghhh. Now along with all the associated stuff I went to a Pro-1000 just to keep up with the 9mm. Today at a yardsale I found a brand new set of dies for the 243. Which, by the way I don't own. $15 for a new set of dies. This will not end well. My GF actually encourages this mental illness and finds stuff for me. Then she laughs and rolls her eyes and says; "Men are sooo stoopid." But I'm saving a ton of money! ;) Audie...the Oldfart..

472x1B/A
09-05-2015, 09:35 PM
!!!! Mental Illness!!!!! This is blasphemy!!!! WE are not no where near that state of mind. We are all good, kind, thoughtful, well meaning folks. Who else would go to the trouble to stimulate the economy as we all do? Buying dies, shell holders, tumblers, brass, powder, primers, molds, lead, firearms. Each and everyone of us should hold our heads up high and shoot, shoot, shoot, and load, load, load. Yah, I load for hand guns and rifles I don't have too.

Beagle333
09-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Ever Cast/Load Because You Don't Have that Caliber?

Yup. All the time. [smilie=1:

mongoose33
09-06-2015, 12:21 AM
Cast and load .44 magnums, don't even own a .44!!! (I think it's getting out of hand)!!! Lol

How do you work up rounds without a gun to test them in? Or are you using someone else's?

rintinglen
09-06-2015, 04:24 AM
I have 75 300 savage rounds sitting on the bench. I do not now nor have I ever had a 300 savage. "I meant to do that."

LuckyDog
09-13-2015, 07:01 AM
!!!! Mental Illness!!!!! This is blasphemy!!!! WE are not no where near that state of mind. ...

Was that double negative on purpose? [smilie=1:

Garyshome
09-13-2015, 07:18 AM
No! Why would I Ever, Ever do that. First of all there is no plunk test, second no chrony'ing, third no accuracy tests........
Fourth I have to much brass laying around I need to load, Fifth too much lead around I need to cast [for calibers that I use]. 2 lawn mowers that need repair, a car or 2 I need to work on. I need to clean out my out building.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................
Oh and I have to work!