PDA

View Full Version : Alox 350 and 606-55, the difference

bigjake
09-04-2015, 09:19 PM
I have a gallon of Alox in a plain jug, It is alox it smells just like my LLA and dries the same.

So, what is the difference? I would like to mold it into cake form [dry it out]. then mix it with bees wax or something. can this be done?

thanks in advance.

Jake

runfiverun
09-05-2015, 11:37 AM
the Lla is lees watered down version of the exact same thing.
you don't need to dry it out to mix it with your bees wax, just pour it in the melted wax and stir till cooled.
or even just pour it on the wax and let it soak in on it's own.

Dale53
09-06-2015, 09:02 PM
"Back in the day" I mixed my own NRA 50/50 lube. This is 50% pure natural beeswax + Alox 2138F (no longer available). 2138F was a thick liquid (appeared much like Lee's LL, as I remember). The finished lube was a medium consistency and worked well through a lube sizer without heat. There is a formula (I no longer have it) for adding microwax to Alox 350 and making 2138F. Or you can do as I do these days and just order my bullet lube from Lars White Label Lube.

I DO mix up my own Ben's Liquid Lube for some bullets (this is new to me and I have no performance report, as yet). If Ben's LL works for me as I hope, that'll become my 9mm and .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R mag lubes. If it works well in those tasks, I'll probably go Ben's LL for my .38 wadcutter bullets, too.

A couple of thoughts...

Dale53

runfiverun
09-06-2015, 10:28 PM
7% micro-wax makes it super similar to the old stuff.
the older nra formula was 50-50 bees-wax and paraffin wax with 50% alox added.