PDA

View Full Version : The smells of shooting

SteveS
09-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Yesterday I took a newbie to the range to introduce him to guns and shooting. We were shooting handloads with cast boolits, BAC lube and 2400 powder in an old Ruger Security Six.

After about a half hour of shooting he turned to me, took a deep breath and said "Wow, I love that smell". LOL. I had to admit that I do too.

It kinda smells like home, friends and good times.

edler7
09-04-2015, 07:10 PM
A freshly fired paper shotgun shell and a crisp autumn morning- it doesn't get a whole lot better...till you get home and break out a bottle of Hoppe's #9 (original formula).

Gofaaast
09-04-2015, 07:25 PM
The sweet smell of burnt powder is right up there with the smell of good Bourbon.

Mytmousemalibu
09-04-2015, 07:33 PM
I would buy a candle that smelled like burnt nitrocellulose, lol! Love that smell! They all have their own unique smells too. The Holy Black, Ed's Red, Ballistol / moose milk, the original Break Free CLP, paper hulls, etc, I love it!

BD
09-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Just this morning I dropped a glass bottle of Hoppes #9 down my leg onto the floor, where it broke. I used to kind of like that smell, but not so much right now.

tryNto
09-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Yes, Nothing like that smell.

Speaking of Hoppes #9, Was recently given an unopened 14 oz bottle from the late 60s-early 70s he thought.

jcwit
09-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Yes the old had an entirely different smell. Will never forget.

Ah Yes the smell of the old paper hull shotgun shells.

M-Tecs
09-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Yes, Nothing like that smell.

Speaking of Hoppes #9, Was recently given an unopened 14 oz bottle from the late 60s-early 70s he thought.

That's the good stuff. In the late 80's the EPA made them remove the Nitrobenzene. It worked way better.

SteveS
09-05-2015, 04:09 PM
In the late 80's the EPA made them remove the Nitrobenzene

Ok, so that's the difference. When I got back into shooting I noticed a difference but thought it was just me.

opos
09-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Shoot some Trail Boss powder...got a really interesting smell...makes the folks on either side of you sit up and take notice..sort of a sweet ammonia smell.

oldred
09-05-2015, 05:15 PM
That smell of nitro may be a turn on to some but NOTHING beats the smell of about 85 to 90 grs of FFG Black Powder on an autumn morning with a bit of misty fog still in the air! Come to think it's the right shooting smell any time.:p

historicfirearms
09-05-2015, 05:27 PM
A freshly fired paper shotgun shell and a crisp autumn morning- it doesn't get a whole lot better...till you get home and break out a bottle of Hoppe's #9 (original formula).
The memories that brings back... Dad and me with old Smokey on point. You just made my day.

OnHoPr
09-05-2015, 05:48 PM
In the morning in the blind whether on a beaver pond or the big water (more on the big water marsh when the sun is starting to wear off the morning fog) duck hunting the smell of 800x is well, they should make a spice out of it for biscuits and gravy. I will pick up the hulls and put them in my pocket then pull them out frequently to smell them. gooooood smell, aroma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXVGQnJm0w

Oh, I use to do one of those Martha Stewart sayings to myself, "And that's a good thing" when I smelled the 800x hulls.

JonnyReb
09-05-2015, 05:56 PM
The old shotgun shells.. I've sniffed thousands of them and when i break out the occasional old shell still do the same. Love the smell of black powder too.

shooter93
09-05-2015, 05:58 PM
I still buy paper shots shells now and then....just for the memories that odor brings.

leebuilder
09-05-2015, 08:16 PM
I like all them aromas, but love the smell of cordite. Parts of the navy dockyard would just reek of it some days. The old Mk7 303 rounds would put me in a trance. Probley get cancer or something from sniffling the casings.
Mmmm cordite.

sixonetonoffun
09-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Love the smell of gun powder in the morning!

Not so sure the neighbors wife likes the sound! But they put up with me.

Red River Rick
09-06-2015, 12:39 AM

Clay M
09-06-2015, 09:55 AM
I always love the smell of 2400 burning. It reminds me of my father shooting his .44 mag rifle when I was small..

Mytmousemalibu
09-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Just this morning I dropped a glass bottle of Hoppes #9 down my leg onto the floor, where it broke. I used to kind of like that smell, but not so much right now.

I did the same thing as a kiddo. My folks, mostly mom, hated the smell of Hoppes and she didn't appreciate me cleaning guns in the kitchen. Hey, there were tables & counters there! So I decided to clean out my bedroom closet and make it my little area to clean my guns. Had my bottle of Hoppes in there cleaning away, knocked it off the shelf and it hit something and broke. Soaked into the carpet before I could sponge much up. Had to smell that stuff for a long time before it was gone. So I don't much care for the smell of Hoppes anymore, I had my fill of it!