PDA

View Full Version : How was the 1899 Krag meant to be carried?

Mk42gunner
09-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Krag rifles had slings, and the prior Krag carbines (that I am aware of) had bar mounted sling rings. The 1899 Carbine has neither.

I can see the Army specifying a saddle scabbard, but what about when the trooper was dismounted? One hand always full of carbine doesn't leave a lot for getting any work done.

Still thinking about the best way to mount a sling on my 1899. The only person I have found selling Krag rifle forearm bands at a gun show wanted $70.00 for one, (he still has it).

Robert

Der Gebirgsjager
09-04-2015, 07:52 PM
They were meant to be carried in a leather scabbard. You could haunt e-bay for awhile and pick up the middle band from a full length rifle. I've picked them up there for far less than $70. They'll pretty much swap straight across on your carbine for it's front band. That gives you a front sling attachment. As for the butt sling attachment, that's a bit more difficult. You'll probably have to drill a hole above the toe of the stock for a swivel stud, unless you can find (or make) a leather boot to slip over the butt with provision for a sling to attach. I have an 1899 carbine that had a sling which I removed. The hole in the butt was easy enough to fill, but some ingenious previous owner had drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom of the barrel band and screwed in a swivel stud. Genuine carbine bands sometimes run $100 or more, so mine still has the hole.

too many things
09-04-2015, 08:50 PM
I have seen old pics that the guys had a string tied to the trigger guard and around the stacking hook.
the krag was a short lived rifle. it was useless . had no wind adjustment, hard to load, hard to take down and had very little on the 30-30 , was very long and hard to use in close brush. I would bet that is why so many were cut down.

gnoahhh
09-07-2015, 05:07 PM
I have seen old pics that the guys had a string tied to the trigger guard and around the stacking hook.
the krag was a short lived rifle. it was useless . had no wind adjustment, hard to load, hard to take down and had very little on the 30-30 , was very long and hard to use in close brush. I would bet that is why so many were cut down.

Never spent much time with a Krag, didja?!

13Echo
09-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Too Many Things you need to try one. They are wonderful firearms.

The later Krags had windage adjustment, it was and is the easiest loading rifle ever, it just didn't have a clip but that was correctable (The Norwegians had one). Stripping the rifle is not complicated or difficult and does not require tools. The military load was far more powerful than the 30-30 and was comparable with other military rounds of the time. The rifle was long but almost all infantry rifles at that time were long. It was well loved by the troops and was a finely made weapon. As for the short lifespan many rifles in many countries at that time were rapidly replaced. The 1888 German Commission rifle lasted only 10 years for instance.

Jerry Liles

Ken in Iowa
09-07-2015, 08:58 PM
Never spent much time with a Krag, didja?!

Perhaps he needs a little discretion and thought before posting.

Multigunner
09-07-2015, 09:36 PM
The Krag compared well with many of its contemporaries. When the Krag came out it was the ballistic equal of the .303 rifles/cartridges of the day and of the 8mm J bore rifles. The action is every bit as slick and fast to operate as the Lee Enfield action.
The Krag carbine was a bit better in action than the Lee Metford and early Lee Enfield carbines. Those English carbines generally used a 6 shot magazine and only later versions had charger loading capability.
During this time frame many countries were still issuing tube magazine large bore rifles and single shots, though those who could afford them were buying Mausers.