PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Gen 5 or Hornady LNL electronic powder measure?

Mytmousemalibu
09-02-2015, 09:35 PM
So I have been itching to add an electronic powder measure to my loading bench and the Lyman Gen 5 machine looks pretty nice. I like that it a touch screen, no physical buttons to wear out, it looks fairly compact, like it can sit at the back of my bench without robbing too much space which is nice.

The Hornady looks good for the money which is a fair bit cheaper, more standard looking machine/layout. Easy to drain. I know it has been criticized for overcharging & being a little slow but you can customize the trickling speed to about cure the overcharges.

So, those of you that have these machines, what do you think? Pro's, con's? Suggestions?

OTHER MACHINES? PACT? RCBS? etc....

The PACT machine looks nice too, tempting price...

VHoward
09-02-2015, 11:11 PM
I have the Hornady unit. It's the only unit I have used and have experience with. I have maybe 2 overcharges in 100 and it is no problem to dump the powder back in the hopper, replace the pan and push the button to tell it to start again. I have verified the weight dispensed by the Hornady unit with my RCBS 505 scale and it is right on.

Mytmousemalibu
09-03-2015, 01:44 AM
That's not too bad, honestly if any machine throws an out of spec charge once in a blue moon, its not really a bother to me as long as it's not a habit! I am addicted to Youtube and more precisely, firearms channels. I learned of the Hornady machine from FortuneCookie45LC's videos. His gave him a little trouble with some powders but he was keyed into the custom programming feature and the "straw-mod" and has nothing but good praise of it now and seems to be chugging along nicely. The price point of the Hornady is very appealing! There's mechanical measures that cost about as much or more.

dragon813gt
09-03-2015, 07:56 AM
RCBS Chargemaster. I know you didn't ask about it but it's the way to go. The touchscreen on the Lyman will fail at some point. Less chance of buttons wearing out compared to a touchscreen failing. And then you have Lyman's nonexistent warranty service. The Hornady always came up short in head to head comparisons w/ the RCBS. I've owner both, still own the RCBS.

Maximumbob54
09-03-2015, 08:49 AM
My Hornady died after two years. Turns on and then turns right back off. No warranty. Would not buy again.

TCFAN
09-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Rcbs Chargemaster is the way to go in my opinion.I have had mine now for about 3 years, It is the best reloading tool that I have bought in 50 years of reloading...........Terry

daboone
09-03-2015, 11:15 AM
I have the Lymans Gen 6. I got it last May and use it for about a month before I left for the summer. (Phoenix is to damn hot so I took off for the summer.) So all I can report on is about the month of use while I was in Phoenix.

I spent several hours testing it and a new mechanical powder measure just comparing weights with them using the old RCBS 505 as the testing instrument. I used several different powders during this testing. My goal with see how well this Gen 6 and the new Lee Classic PM performed. I have the RCBS deluxe scale check weight and use it to assure my 505 was on the money.

The Gen 6 seems to dispense 90% of the time 0.1grain less than it was set for no matter what powder was being used. It was never off more than 0.1grain higher than what was set during the testing. It was dead nuts on with the check weights. As a result of this testing and running a batch of 223R I have no trust issues with this Gen 6.

I loaded 600 round of 223R with IMR4895 using it. It was about as fast dispensing as I could load with a single stage.

I quickly replaced the weight pan it comes with for a RCBS Scale Pan with Integrated Funnel as it was much more convenient to use. It must be warmed up for 3 minutes before use. I quickly learned it was (I hate to admit this) easier/faster to use than my trusted 505 once operational and zeroed. As a result I started using it for checking weights rather than the old and trusted RCBS 505. One needs to be careful NOT to bump the Gen 6's tube that the powder issues from as powder is easily jared from it thus some kernels/flakes are added to the pan. This is easy to do when removing the pan from the scale and was a part of my learning curve.

It is not difficult to clean up between powder changes but because it has to be disassembled it isn't as easy a a mechanical PM.

Mytmousemalibu
09-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks for chiming in guys, keep'em coming. I know the RCBS is kinda the gold standard in auto measures and it is a little pricey but perhaps for a reason.

Guys might have me reconsidering already. Anyone have anything on the PACT dispenser & scale? I thought Pact was high quality and they made the original RCBS machines I think, maybe the Chargemaster too?

dragon813gt
09-03-2015, 01:17 PM
They don't make them for RCBS. RCBS is made in China. I have and use a PACT DPPS scale. It is a lot more sensitive compared to the RCBS. But almost to the point of being to sensitive.

The downsides to the PACT dispenser were a couple things. And this might have changed but a few years back there were issues. First it's really slow to dispense. And you had to recalibrate it every time you changed powder. The dispenser had a routine you had to run it through. Like I said this might have changed.

PACT produces their products in the US w/ as many US made parts as possible. Some parts just aren't made here. I would have liked to buy their dispenser but it wasn't the best available.

Mytmousemalibu
09-04-2015, 12:47 PM
I did some review reading on the PACT unit last night on various sites, there seems to be an alarming amount of issues and PACT customer service is TERRIBLE from my reading. I don't know if that still remains the same or not.

Things like recalibration with changing powders or adjusting the machines with custom settings, etc, are not a bother to me. Obviously, like any of us, I want a machine that will provide years of reliable service. Even the best of companies let a lemon roll out the door once in a while so it can be a cr@p shoot. I also try to take general online reviews with a grain of salt. Some are obviously written by people that don't know what they are doing. Thats why I'm asking the fine audience of Cast Boolits where we are all passionate reloaders that are generally very knowledgeable. I'm most incline to heed advise from folks with little if any salt needed!

slim1836
09-04-2015, 02:07 PM
My Pact was lousy, and CS was worse.

I like my GEN 6 a lot.

Slim

wv109323
09-04-2015, 02:07 PM
I have the RCBS/PACT units (dispenser and scale). I bought the RCBS electronic scale used for a very reasonable price. I added the RCBS dispenser at a later date when RCBS discounted them and added the Chargemaster to their line-up. ( As a side note there were two speeds of the RCBS unit. I assume there were complaints about dispensing time. The unit I bought was the slower unit) I used it a couple of times as I don't load much rifle. A year or two went by and I decided to use the dispenser again. The RCBS unit would not work. This unit may have had 3 or four hours service at the most.
I contacted RCBS and they no longer sold or serviced the unit. RCBS told me to contact PACT. I contacted PACT and they told me there was a flat $75.00 service fee to repair regardless of problem. I sent my unit in and received back a brand new PACT unit. IIRC the service was 3-4 weeks before I got the new unit. It was the faster speed unit.
The PACT does need to be calibrated with each powder. My unit's accuracy is + or - .1 tenth grain but occasionally you get +.2 grain and you need to throw it back.
The unit takes about 45 seconds to dispense a charge. This is a little of a bottleneck as I would consider 35 seconds ideal. Pour the charge, place pan under dispenser ,start second dispense, seat bullet,place cartridge in storage container. I do this in a little less than 45 seconds but I can watch the dispenser finish and ensure it is correct.
I like the idea of having two units. You can always use the scales separately.

kfarm
09-04-2015, 04:25 PM
I got the lnl, it hasn't been as good as il like some powder is better than other. I get an awful lot of over charges with stick powder, then I have to UN plug it to get it to reset. It will not turn off with the button if it gets an error ie overcharge. It's one of the first so that may be part of the problem. Also the read out has gotten hard to read with a segment gone out in one number. With the problem's it has I find myself not using it. When it works its wonderful. If I replace it's not going to be another lnl. I love hornady and have a lot of their stuff but I think this is lemon.

edctexas
09-04-2015, 05:11 PM
I use the RCBS and it is very good. There are some hacks for it that can help with speed. For pistol cartridges, I still like the volume dispenser. For most pistol powders, the weight the volume measurer throws is consistent. The Chargemaster should have some sort of powder calibration so it will run at the fastest speed possible. It probably throws one or two overs or unders but it does not beep on these. So it is pretty safe.

Ed C

Mytmousemalibu
09-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Well hmmm, lol. Im still not sold on any one unit yet! I guess I'd better shop with some place with a good return policy just in case! The RCBS CM seems to have the most praise overall from all the reviews I've read thus far but still gets its share of sneers. The new Lyman touchscreen units seem to review pretty well also but there's not as many out there in comparison to the others.

Gofaaast
09-04-2015, 06:34 PM
I had the RCBS Powder Pro/Powdermaster combo (Pact made them). I bought that combo used from a gun shop that had used it a lot but the price was right. I used it for 4-5 years. Worked great when on a bench that was solid. My setup at the time was not, and a bullet was being seated about the time it was finishing dropping the charge if I was loading short action cases. If I was loading for something that took 40+ grains of powder I had the bullet seated and was waiting on the next charge. I sold this unit to a friend and it is still working great. I would guess 300+ pounds of powder has been through it. Calibrating it, and being a bit slow when loading short action was its only weakness IMO.
I've had my Chargemaster for 5 years and no issues with it. It has not seen near the powder through it though as the old unit I had. I personally don't know of anyone that has had issues with the Chargemaster with the exception being the first units that came out were slow before the reprogram was offered by RCBS. I know several people that had the older generation Lyman's and were very disappointed in them compared to my old RCBS set up. I have one friend that got a couple years out of a Hornady before it bit the dust and he bought a Chargemaster. Another friend of a friend has had the cheap yellow Chinese unit for over three years and loves it. I just keep drinking the green kool aid and it has yet to let me down.

Mytmousemalibu
09-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Ya, the older previous generation of Lyman, the 1200 I think?, didn't receive much good praise. I have to wonder sometimes about bad reviews or claims of inaccuracies if said claimants don 't have sturdy benches or subjecting the units to improper warm-up, vibration or moving air, things like that. Obviously if there was a mechanical or electronic failure, that is another story. I will be setting up on a rock solid & level surface and trying to make the power source as clean as i can. All things to keep in mind with sensitive equipment like this.

VHoward
09-04-2015, 08:40 PM
I have heard florescent lighting has an effect on these scales also. I've never seen it myself though.

Mytmousemalibu
09-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Yup. That is one thing that I thought I had read about the Lyman Gen 5/6 being shielded from florescent lights and things of that nature. If so, that would be nice if it can have an effect. We have scales where I work that are sensitive enough that talking loudly near them causes some fluctuation.

VHoward
09-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Sound pressure. (Thinking ear drums).

Mytmousemalibu
09-05-2015, 02:13 AM
Sound pressure. (Thinking ear drums).

Absolutely! I work in experimental flight test for Bombardier, I wish I could afford some of the lab equipment we have, like our scales! They have some that would probably even make some of the top BR & precision shooters drool!

I'd like to see if me and a couple of my avionics buddies can rig some strain gauges on a gun barrel to figure out chamber pressure based off of distortion of the gun barrel shape upon firing. That would be neat. Capturing the data is the tricky part.

JesterGrin_1
09-05-2015, 02:44 AM
I have the RCBS Charge Master and I feel even though it is expensive it is one of the best items I have purchased.

Mytmousemalibu
09-05-2015, 04:33 PM
I have the RCBS Charge Master and I feel even though it is expensive it is one of the best items I have purchased.

Curious, how is the CM for speed, warm-up time, overcharges, etc. Anything you don't like about it?

JesterGrin_1
09-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Curious, how is the CM for speed, warm-up time, overcharges, etc. Anything you don't like about it?

Speed is relative. For myself it is fast enough and at times to fast lol. As I load on a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. So by when the powder charge is ready and I throw it in the case and set the boolit or bullet the next powder charge is waiting on me.

As for over charges I usually do not have that problem unless of course I am using a larger stick powder then it can happen now and then simply due to the fact of what the weight can be of a single stick of powder. But it does not happen all that often. I also use the trick I found on the internet of which is using a soda straw from McDonald's of about 1" or so long and slide it into the trickle tube.

As for the cost of the RCBS Charge Master I believe there is a pretty good rebate going on right now. I do have to admit that I am not one of those people with funds falling out of my pockets as I actually sold a firearm to help fund the purchase of the RCBS Charge Master as I have had nothing but good luck and of course fantastic customer support from RCBS. So when I say that for myself the cost was very much worth it then I am not talking about just lunch money lol.

It is also a great help due to my eye sight instead of having to wear coke bottle reading glasses to make sure the two lines line up with my RCBS 10-10 Scale lol. I still use the RCBS 10-10 but find myself using the RCBS Charge Master more and more as to Zero it out at start up is really no big deal and only takes a few minutes. As far as warming it up I have no idea as I simply plug it in and turn it on and then set things up on my reloading bench then simply zero out the RCBS Charge Master and put in my powder charge and go. So it can be plugged in and on from maybe 5 minutes up to maybe 30 min or so.

As for RCBS Service when I received my RCBS Charge Master it was in the winter and so when I took it out of the box and installed the clear plastic powder hopper it cracked or to say crazed due to the temperature swing. I called RCBS and they said yep that can happen and we will have a new hopper on the way to you at no charge. I do not think you can beat there customer support.

There is only one thing I can semi complain about is the powder dump. As the outlet is almost a half moon so when one is closing the valve then you have to make sure that you cover the whole half moon of the dump valve. Other than that again I think it is great although I do use basic functions or to say I do not store loads in the machine or anything of the sort. Just start zero put in the powder charge and go. :)

Mytmousemalibu
09-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Excellent! Thanks for sharing!

How about it guys, what are the likes and dislikes of your auto-measures?

dragon813gt
09-07-2015, 10:18 PM
The Chargemaster functions can be changed. The full programing is available online. You can change when it goes from Hi-Med-Trickle. I haven't found a need to tweak mine. But literally every function can be changed.

I have zero issues w/ it. You do have to watch picking the pan up. You can hit the spout causing some powder to spill out. The overcharges it's thrown aren't measurable. They have happened that little. I do wish the charge thrown count would stay on the display longer. I might have a reason to change some of the programing now :)

Bjornb
09-08-2015, 10:36 AM
RCBS ChargeMaster. You get what you pay for. THE best purchase on my loading bench. Very accurate, no issue when changing powders. Always gets better reviews than Lyman and Hornady. Should be a no-brainer.

JesterGrin_1
09-08-2015, 09:08 PM
RCBS ChargeMaster. You get what you pay for. THE best purchase on my loading bench. Very accurate, no issue when changing powders. Always gets better reviews than Lyman and Hornady. Should be a no-brainer.

I agree. And to be honest the mention of changes with different powders confused me a bit as weight is weight is weight. It is a scale after all. so it should not matter if it dispenses stick or ball powders.

I have used mine for Stick powders ball powders and flake powders as well as Trail Boss whatever that is little doughnuts lol. And it did a great job with all of the powders but it sure does shine with large stick powders such as IMR-4350. :)

Mytmousemalibu
09-11-2015, 12:15 AM
How do auto-measures in general handle large flake like 800X for example? That stuff is like flammable corn flakes! Just wondered if they behave well with it.

z28z34man
01-24-2016, 01:29 AM
To the top

I am considering the Lyman gen 6 and was wondering if gen 6 owners still like there's.

noisewaterphd
01-24-2016, 03:46 AM
The reality is that the Hornady, Lyman, and RCBS are all about the same thing.

Be prepared for it to stop working (any of them), and none of them are warrantied beyond 1 year. I would suggest purchasing from Brownells for this reason.

They are handy as hell, and all work pretty good (I've never owned a Lyman but my old neighbor had one). They are all imported Chinese junk.

If I were buying one right now, I would scramble to find anywhere that might still be having the $169 sale on the Hornady. If nobody has the sale, go Brownells for the lifetime guarantee, if they honor it on these units.

WFO2
01-27-2016, 01:30 PM
I had a Hornandy unit bought it from Cabelas after about 75 loads it started throwing over and under weights . Took it back and got the RCBS charge master and never looked back .