PDA

View Full Version : Marlin guide gun lever detaching on firing

Finnmike
09-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Years ago I bought a JM Guide Gun, tricked it out with a Leupold scout scope, WWG trigger, rear sight and plunger plug, and put it away after fireing a few boxes. It had the habit of popping the lever loose with heavy loads. Last week I dug it out of the safe and used up some remaining loads of 37 gr. 4198 under a 405 Remington SP. Honest, it put 5 into a measured .98 group at 100 yards of the bench but it still pops the lever loose. The bolt does not move; examination of the parts upon disassembly shows no undue wear or other indication of trouble. I love to shoot this rifle in small doses with this load but am bothered by the lever popping loose along with my retina. Any suggestions?

pietro
09-02-2015, 11:46 AM

IDK if that load's too heavy or not - but I would 1st check the spring-loaded detent plunger in the lever for free movement in/out, then ensure that the tip/surface engages it's detent when the bolt's closed.

If a light, one-finger pull on the lever loop dislodges the lever/detent, all's not right - as it should take a solid (not stiff/heavy, though) pull to operate the lever.

Besides grit working it's way under the detent plunger, the plunger spring may have an issue, and/or the plunger hole, and where the plunger rests with the lever closed, might have a burr or something else prevent full/locked closed lever seating.

Kestrel4k
09-02-2015, 12:16 PM
[...] I love to shoot this rifle in small doses with this load but am bothered by the lever popping loose along with my retina. Any suggestions?
I do hope you're kidding about the possibility of a shooting-related detached retina.
I know someone who went through this and it was no laughing matter for sure.
Emergency surgery, and was a few hours away from going blind in that eye.

Salmoneye
09-02-2015, 04:12 PM
I'm still trying to figure how the lever pops open with your hand through it and around the stock when firing...

Weak detent you can usually pop the lever down with slight pressure on the most rearward part...

Gtek
09-02-2015, 09:20 PM
First thing to check if is pad area on top rear of trigger loop seated up against lower tang. It should be fully depressing sear safety lever and be against bottom, If not you can remove lever and cold bend in vise (there is an easy way and a wrong way). Some times people have been known to recreate a favorite Chuck Conner move, stuck round/hard extraction could also have been experienced. If pad is not touching, detent is not usually going over center on cross pin enough to bite. Check radius of lever to lower tang with weapon in full battery also.

Finnmike
09-02-2015, 09:44 PM
I pulled the lever and touched up the edge of the plunger, to see if that helps. It is a little stiffer to open.
I''ll get out to the range again Saturday to see if it holds up under fire.

JesterGrin_1
09-03-2015, 01:09 AM
I'm still trying to figure how the lever pops open with your hand through it and around the stock when firing...

I have to agree your hand should be holding the lever closed.

Finnmike
09-03-2015, 10:56 AM
I have to agree your hand should be holding the lever closed.

Well, so do I, but when it is jumping 5" out of the rest with each shot it pops loose. I'm not a wimp and that is a pretty stiff load.

Salmoneye
09-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Can you give us a picture of how you are holding the gun with your trigger hand?

FergusonTO35
09-04-2015, 08:03 PM
If your rifle was a late model Winchester 94 I would say thats normal. Gravity alone would open the action on the 2003 94 I used to have. Good riddance, the well worn Marlin Glenfield 30 that replaced it was, and is, a much better rifle.

Ramjet-SS
09-04-2015, 10:46 PM
There some likelihood the lever is bent. If your or anyone ever forced the lever closed on a cartridge that would not chamber properly the lever will bend. the lever not "camming closed" is a result of this. In some cases you can pull the lever and see the end away from the loop is slightly twisted. You can in most cases twist it straight with gentle pressure in a wood jawed vise.

35remington
09-06-2015, 12:44 AM
If your hand is through the lever loop on firing the motion of the gun under recoil is opening the action. This is normal and expected.

Finnmike
09-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Finally makes sense. Too used to shooting bolt guns. Ran another 20 through it yesterday and unless I kept ridiculous hand squeeze around the wrist and through the lever it pops out nearly every time. Folks at the range commented on running their loads into 40-grain territory; no, thank you very much. 37 makes her jump sufficiently to satisfy my shoulder.

T-Bird
09-07-2015, 01:58 PM
29 gr 4198, dacron, and 330 gould is enough kick for me! Shoot Straight, T-Bird