PDA

View Full Version : would you use a cannelure on 9mm....380 acp....40 s&w...45 acp...30 carbine?

mozeppa
09-01-2015, 08:31 PM
all use a tapered crimp to hold the boolit in place....would you use a cannelure on the boolit?

i know its not necessarybut could you?...would you?

if for nothing more than a visual reference point that its seated in the correct area...(once you determine the correct area.)

seems to me it would stop bullet jump ....either in ...or out.

these will be powder coated before canneluring.

runfiverun
09-01-2015, 08:39 PM
I would not add a canellure to a boolit unless I needed a place to roll crimp or add lube.

popper
09-01-2015, 08:58 PM
Not for me, no need. All mine are SA except 30/30 still none. No LGs except for the old moulds either.

dragon813gt
09-01-2015, 09:02 PM
I would not add a canellure to a boolit unless I needed a place to roll crimp or add lube.

Same, I keep meaning to buy Chuckbuster's tool just because it's cool.

kentuckyshooter
09-01-2015, 09:05 PM
I thought thats what the crimp groove on a cast boolit was for and that u on had those on jwords

runfiverun
09-02-2015, 12:21 AM
crimp grooves come in the mold.
you add a cannelure with a tool.

I should break down and just buy the chuckbusters tool too.
I have the C&H [don't know what they were thinking there] and a couple of no name ones that actually work pretty well.

I swage my own jacketed bullets and adding a cannelure can change the opening properties of a bullet, or give a place to roll crimp.

Larry Gibson
09-02-2015, 11:14 AM
I cannelure the case under my 9mm and 45 ACP high perfomance jacketed bullet loads to absoluely,positively prevent bullet set back during the feeding cycle. I've not found it necessary with my cast bullet loads. Haven't really found it necessary with the HP acketed either but it is a"just in cast" measure to ensure 100% reliabiity with those rounds. With dies that size the case enough that a "coke bottle" effect under the seated bullet is present addg a cannelure is redundent.

Larry Gibson

mdi
09-02-2015, 12:04 PM
On the cartridges you mention, nope, no cannalure (or when I load cannalured bullets in those, I ignore the cannalure's placement.). I use a roll crimp for my revolver ammo, using a crimp groove or cannalure, and a taper "crimp" for my semi autos (which don't need any crimp). I don't reload 30 Carbine and I really don't crimp the others, I just use a taper crimp die to "de-flare" the case mouths...

wv109323
09-02-2015, 02:50 PM
No, The cartridges listed headspace on the case mouth. If a roll crimp is used in a cannelure groove then your headspace is greater or different. Also the H&G 68 bullet is designed so that the OAL is correct when 1/32" of the bullet shoulder extends beyond the case mouth. That would be a bad place to put a crimping groove on the bullet IMO. A crimping groove would also reduce the length of bore contact with the bullet.
I can't think of any bullet mold that is designed for a semi-auto that has a crimping groove. When a revolver bullet (with a crimping groove) is used in a semi-auto the crimping groove usually positions the COAL so that it will not function in the firearm.
I see no advantages for a cannelure.

dondiego
09-02-2015, 04:55 PM
I cannelure the case under my 9mm and 45 ACP high perfomance jacketed bullet loads to absoluely,positively prevent bullet set back during the feeding cycle. I've not found it necessary with my cast bullet loads. Haven't really found it necessary with the HP acketed either but it is a"just in cast" measure to ensure 100% reliabiity with those rounds. With dies that size the case enough that a "coke bottle" effect under the seated bullet is present addg a cannelure is redundent.

Larry Gibson

Can you use the same tool to cannelure the case as you use for the bullet? It would seem reasonable to be able to do so.

Larry Gibson
09-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Can you use the same tool to cannelure the case as you use for the bullet? It would seem reasonable to be able to do so.

Yes.

Larry Gibson

Newboy
09-02-2015, 07:55 PM
What Larry Gibson said. I use an oversized expander to make a pronounced shoulder in the case, which accomplishes the same thing.

Motor
09-02-2015, 08:04 PM
A canalure has absolutely no functional use in a taper crimp cartridge. Yeah you use it for some type of visual reference but beyond that nothing.

If you should happen to crimp enough to use it with a taper crimp you would definitely be crimping excessively which should be avoided at all costs.

Motor