PDA

View Full Version : I missed the pumpkin craze...

ohland
09-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Staggered into a local establishment today, and slowly walked the beer display... At least three upright coolers had pumpkin IPAs, lagers, and whatnot.

Not that I am a beer prude, but WHERE did this pumpkin thing come from? The big pumpkin patch, I'm sure...

The person behind the counter said pumpkin has been big for over a year.. Which I find curious...

BUT... if they had pumpkin-wheat, I might have tried some in an altruistic self sacrifice for the advancement of empirical knowledge... ermmm... yeah...

gsdelong
09-01-2015, 05:30 PM
What you really want is a Warlock pumpkin stout. Fall in a bottle just released this year.

dragon813gt
09-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Over a year? More like five years at this point. It's that time of year where people will be posting #pumpkineverything

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6e/30/5d/6e305dc11a6a9dc40ebca9f40694f61e.jpg

Pipefitter
09-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Actually, it has been going on much longer than that. The pilgrims drank beer made with pumpkins.

Plate plinker
09-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Were there leinieS OHLAND?

lightman
09-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Pumpkin is probably my least favorite style of beer. For some reason I just don't care for it.

Geezer in NH
09-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Pumpkin belongs in pies not beer.:killingpc

JWFilips
09-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Over rated Gimmick ! Just get a Good IPA and be done with such nonsense! Eat a pie with it too while you are at it!
Don't need to brew that!

edler7
09-01-2015, 08:31 PM
I tried to drink a pumpkin IPA once. One of the nastiest things I ever had in my mouth.

I'll pass.

Thumbcocker
09-01-2015, 08:41 PM
During my "interesting" childhood I was exposed to folks who knew how to sweat another drink out of a pile of whiskey bottles and how to, when times got hard, make an alcoholic beverage out of pumpkins. The process involved a pumpkin, 5 pounds of sugar, and a plastic bag. I forget the amount of time that was to elapse but the result was supposed to contain alcohol. Wasted knowledge since I don't drink.

JWFilips
09-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Just Like "Spruce Beer" If you need it we can brew it! It sucks ( 25 Years of 18th century living behind that!)

southpaw
09-01-2015, 09:40 PM
I like beer flavored beer and coffee flavored coffee. The other flavors are for the girls.

Jerry Jr.

tdoyka
09-01-2015, 09:58 PM
I like beer flavored beer and coffee flavored coffee. The other flavors are for the girls.

Jerry Jr.

x2, except i gave up beer because of my stroke

pincherpartner
09-01-2015, 10:16 PM
I think this is probably the best way to enjoy pumpkin beer.

NavyVet1959
09-01-2015, 10:43 PM
I don't like pumpkins for ANYTHING -- not even pies.

Beer should taste like BEER -- not pumpkin, not raspberry, not jalapenoes, not lime.
Tea should be sweet and doesn't need lemons or other flavorings.

starmac
09-02-2015, 03:11 AM
I don't like pumpkins for ANYTHING -- not even pies.

Beer should taste like BEER -- not pumpkin, not raspberry, not jalapenoes, not lime.
Tea should be sweet and doesn't need lemons or other flavorings.

The only difference in my thinking, is I like my pumpkin pies.

Plate plinker
09-02-2015, 05:58 AM
NV what about chunkin pumpkins?

Hickory
09-02-2015, 06:23 AM
It is good to know we have so many purest on this site.
The good things in life usually come in the pure form.

bikerbeans
09-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Pumpkins go great with deer slugs, not beer.

BB

Moonie
09-02-2015, 09:25 AM
I did make a pumpkin ale a few years ago by request. It was actually a big hit. I don't drink the alcohol I make but lots of my family does (I'm diabetic). My adult children enjoyed it more than any other beer I've brewed. But then it wasn't heavy with pumpkin or the spices that go with it. Tasted more like a complex medium body beer than a pumpkin ale.

My favorite I brewed was a Milk and Honey Stout that came out at about 11% and looked like soy sauce lol with a beautiful just off white head that didn't last long due to the alcohol content.

ohland
09-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Beer should taste like BEER -- ... not jalapenoes,

Oddly enough, there was one brand of Jalapeno beer there, which I passed on. Though the blueberry ale was interesting.

ohland
09-02-2015, 12:13 PM

Do you have something against the chugging wines? A little Boone's Farm should make you cheer up. Smirnoff's Twisted stuff is pretty good.

My coffee is straight coffee, with molasses and milk, or if I am living large that day, half and half and molasses. Never had a flavored coffee that was anywhere near as good as a good coffee... 8 o clock Columbian Peaks works for my daily tipple.

The one brew of coffee that was worth driving late at night for was "Jamaican Mountain" at Seven Eleven. It was better than Dunkin Doughnuts.

Good ol' Wrightsville outside of Ft Dix... That coffee is one of the few memories that give me a smile.

NavyVet1959
09-02-2015, 01:09 PM
The only difference in my thinking, is I like my pumpkin pies.

I think pumpkin pies are a Yankee desert. I like pecan pies.

Electric88
09-02-2015, 01:11 PM
I think pumpkin pies are a Yankee desert. I like pecan pies.

While I love pumpkin pie, I've gotta say that Pecan Pie is king. A Southern Pecan Pie puts everything else to shame

NavyVet1959
09-02-2015, 01:17 PM
While I love pumpkin pie, I've gotta say that Pecan Pie is king. A Southern Pecan Pie puts everything else to shame

And blackberry cobbler with (preferably homemade) vanilla ice cream on top. Blueberry cobbler is a Yankee desert and not as good.

A chickory coffee blend is also good. It really makes for a rich tasting coffee.

starmac
09-02-2015, 04:03 PM
And blackberry cobbler with (preferably homemade) vanilla ice cream on top. Blueberry cobbler is a Yankee desert and not as good.

A chickory coffee blend is also good. It really makes for a rich tasting coffee.

Blackberry or peach cobbler yummmmm, I can founder myself on either, it is also better if the ice cream is homeade too.

NavyVet1959
09-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Blackberry or peach cobbler yummmmm, I can founder myself on either, it is also better if the ice cream is homeade too.

And hand cranked, not electric in the ice cream machine. The electric ones just don't seem to have the torque than a determined person will put towards making really frozen ice cream. :)

JWT
09-02-2015, 09:10 PM
YUCK. Beer should not contain fruit or vegetables...

grumman581
09-02-2015, 09:29 PM
YUCK. Beer should not contain fruit or vegetables...

And probably shouldn't contain rice either. :(

waarp8nt
09-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Oddly enough, there was one brand of Jalapeno beer there, which I passed on. Though the blueberry ale was interesting.

I like Jalapenos, put them in chili, on hamburgers, chips n salsa...ect. My friend bought a 6 pack of Jalapeno beer and request I try one. IMO Jalapeno beer should be reserved for the worst of sinners. Almost makes one want to sandpaper his tongue to get the taste out...or something worse.

MBTcustom
09-02-2015, 10:52 PM
I like Jalapenos, put them in chili, on hamburgers, chips n salsa...ect. My friend bought a 6 pack of Jalapeno beer and request I try one. IMO Jalapeno beer should be reserved for the worst of sinners. Almost makes one want to sandpaper his tongue to get the taste out...or something worse.

Thanks for the tip. I was actually about to look that up when I read that post. I'll pass on by now.

Pumpkinheaver
09-02-2015, 11:06 PM
I tried to drink a pumpkin IPA once. One of the nastiest things I ever had in my mouth.

I'll pass.
I feel the same way but to me all IPAs are nasty.

Finster101
09-02-2015, 11:06 PM
I love Sam Adams Octoberfest this time of year. I stack up cases of it in a spare bedroom while I can get it.

grumman581
09-02-2015, 11:27 PM

I tried a 6-pack of No Label Brewery's "Don Jalapeno Ale" once. It's better than probably any of the mass market watered down beers like Bud/Miller/etc, but it just doesn't do it for me. I like jalapenos, but if I wanted a jalapeno flavored beer, I would just eat pickled jalapenos while I'm drinking beer -- which I do every time I'm at Salt Lick BBQ over near Austin.

Cowboy_Dan
09-03-2015, 12:41 AM
I've never been a fan of pumpkin beers. On the other hand, I loved the jalapeņo beer I brewed, but never liked any I could find in stores. By that logic, I would likely be able to make a pumpkin beer that I would like, but I couldn't even imagine how hard it would be to sparge and lauter a pumpkin mash.

starmac
09-03-2015, 03:26 AM
Do you have something against the chugging wines? A little Boone's Farm should make you cheer up. Smirnoff's Twisted stuff is pretty good.

My coffee is straight coffee, with molasses and milk, or if I am living large that day, half and half and molasses. Never had a flavored coffee that was anywhere near as good as a good coffee... 8 o clock Columbian Peaks works for my daily tipple.

The one brew of coffee that was worth driving late at night for was "Jamaican Mountain" at Seven Eleven. It was better than Dunkin Doughnuts.

Good ol' Wrightsville outside of Ft Dix... That coffee is one of the few memories that give me a smile.

I used to get a bottle of boons farm, when I didn't have 2 dollars to get a six pack of cheap beer. I haven't even tasted the stuff since I was 15 years old though.
Never tried the smirnoff twisted stuff. I did try and liked cold Mikes hard lemonade when it was real hot in Arizona, tried a bottle of it here in some reasonable temps, and it just wasn't the same, maybe I was just thirsty in Az.

Moonie
09-03-2015, 08:50 AM
I've never been a fan of pumpkin beers. On the other hand, I loved the jalapeņo beer I brewed, but never liked any I could find in stores. By that logic, I would likely be able to make a pumpkin beer that I would like, but I couldn't even imagine how hard it would be to sparge and lauter a pumpkin mash.

You don't add the pumpkin to the grains, you add it near the end of the boil. But I will admit, separating out the pumpkin was a pain in the butt... I'll not do it again.

7br
09-05-2015, 10:18 PM

Jerry Jr.
Beer should taste like it came from the liquor store, not Bed, Bath and Beyond.

MT Gianni
09-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Add me to the list of pumpkin haters. I have never been able to stand the taste of the stuff though I love the seeds. I have been known to eat a bite once every decade when someone I care about forces it on me but it remains the same.

Lance Boyle
09-06-2015, 09:29 AM

This yankee agrees. A good pecan pie is devine. A good pumpkin pie is good and traditional but it's no pecan pie.

As far as pumpkin beer. I tried a Blue Moon pumpkin in one of their holiday sampler packs. Ok for a sip or two then I don't want it beyond that initial curiosity. Now those Belgian fruited ales are in a class all by themselves, the cherry ales and such. I also like the hard ciders if they're not too sweet. Even then it's one or maybe rarely two and I'm done with them. I couldn't imagine polishing off a sixpack or even getting schnockered on that stuff. Then again I seldom have more than two beers in a day anyhow.

grumman581
09-09-2015, 12:45 PM
I was up at the local HEB grocery last night and they had a large display with a lot of different pumpkin beers. I thought about it for maybe a quarter second and then said, "nawh, I don't think so..."

Besides, how can you celebrate "Autumn" when you live somewhere that doesn't really have seasons?

Bulldogger
09-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Mind you, I don't actually drink it. But chicks dig it, so I make it, nuff' said.
Bulldogger

thadfz
09-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Love me some pumpkin beer. Had some today as a matter of fact. I like most beers I've come to find out. Plain, flavored, warm, cold, most are good as far as my taste buds tell me.

thadfz
09-13-2015, 11:10 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/13/fd2bb7980da403c03ec7bb2d84c1e7da.jpg