PDA

View Full Version : Loverin Style Boolit Characteristics Inquiry

OnHoPr
09-01-2015, 04:58 PM
This is an inquiry to the Loverin style Boolit. Back 4 years ago when I acquired the Lee and Lyman cast boolit books to begin my education with the cast boolit I saw many styles of boolits. The Loverin style has lube grooves from head to toe basically, or the whole shank. At first their aesthetics got to me, especially if I wanted to touch the lands with the nose. I see they come in a metplat style, RN, and pointed styles. One of the characteristics that keeps me looking at them though is the BC of many of them. Since I have a tendency to hunt more open woods like oak flats and ridges where 200 yd plus shots are very likeable, but the rough 100 yds are the norm. It sounds like they can extend that point blank range with range judging mishaps. Now if actual boolit performance on deer game trumps aesthetics, I am interested in them.

1st question, many of them seem to have a tapered bearing band system like the Don Eagan MX designs. It seems to want to keep a boolit centered at launch and then extrude through the barrel. How would the sizing and GCing process take place, for example the Lee push through die to keep the integrity of the design?

2nd question, I did a little archive check, but found nothing on this concept. Being that the Loverin style has bearing bands and lube grooves most of its length. My question is about game performance. I am not referring to milk water jugs, moist sand boxes, newspaper, or telephone books. I am referring to broadside to 70 degree raking shots on 150 lb whitetails. You basically have two structures of game animal to contend with here. a. The broadside shot behind the front shoulder where you are just hitting green ribs and lungs going through the body in a millisecond with maybe a tougher actual shoulder bone shot if that is your style of hitting game and it maybe be the necessary shot for your gun/boolit combo. b. The raking shot where as your boolit will need to transit more on a lengthwise path the front shoulder, ribs, lungs, liver, and angling out the other side of the guts for a short ways, two milliseconds. This shot could be from fore or aft. Now, with its bearing bands most of its length, do these bands deter expansion somewhat or can they give a controlled expansion effect depending on boolit alloy and speed for overall ranges in the point blank spectrum. For example, on many jacketed bullets not only is the cannelure a design characteristic for crimping the bullet to the case for many action firearms and heavy recoiling firearms. It is also used for a controlled expansion or an over expansion deterrent to promote penetration. So, do these bearing bands and grooves deter expansion to much as in maybe the longer end of the point blank range?

It seems like they have good BCs for the extended point blank range, but I hardly see them being used in the meat getters forum.

Artful
09-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Your google foo is weak

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?3696-What-do-we-know-about-H-Guy-Loverin

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?141308-Question-on-Loverin-style-boolits

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?207424-Never-met-a-Loverin-that-I-didn-t-like-!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?209950-bore-riding-vs-non-bore-riding-recommendation

Another good reference for you.
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

walltube
09-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Artful,

Excellent links. Your Google Foo is awesome. Thanks for your research. Kindled some fine memories of CB Members long gone.

With grateful regards,
Wt.

Tatume
09-02-2015, 06:53 AM
:-)

Tom

Char-Gar
09-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Let me try and answer your questions directly.

1. Sizing: You size and lube these bullets like any others. A nose first push through sizer like the Lee works well, but you then have to lube it in a machine or pan lube. It is easy to smear the thin bands on the Loverin bullets, so filling the grooves with lube prior to sizing will keep this from happening.

2. Effectiveness on game: Effectiveness on game is determined by the shape of the nose and shot placement. The style of the bullet body is irrelevant. Trying to figure out which bullet style will expand best is not a productive use of time. While some expansion is possible with some cast bullets and some alloys, place your bets on placing your shot to break major bones or sever nerve paths like the spine. Don't place much emphasis on expansion. Trying to transpose jacketed bullet performance, to cast bullets on game, is not a good idea. They are apples and oranges.

With cast bullet hunting, the bigger the caliber the more dependable the results. Think 35 cal and up. If you must use a 30 caliber or smaller, think hollow point bullets, with a soft malleable alloy, fired at 150 yards or less, at fairly low speeds 1,500 fps or so.

3. Most styles of cast bullets give amply accuracy for hunting. I don't think one style is clearly superior to another. The fit of the bullet to the rifle throat and barrel groove is where accuracy will be found and not the style of the bullet.