PDA

View Full Version : Heating an MP brass HP MOLD

sfcairborne
09-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Ok silly question, but how do you heat up brass MP HP mold ?

thank you

boatswainsmate
09-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Prior to first use or before casting?

bangerjim
09-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Put it on a hotplate. A hotplate is required equipment for any caster that wants quality boolits immediately when starting casting.

1st time: cycle it 3x at ~450-500F to build up golden patina to prevent tinning.

After that: pre-heat to full casting temp B4 ever starting and you will get perfect drops from #1.

Same as any mold.

banger

sfcairborne
09-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Thank you, had a complete brain fart, I was thinking the release pins where on the bottom like the NOE. Need to delete the post. How can I do that

sfcairborne
09-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Thanks to those that responded

Cowboy_Dan
09-01-2015, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't worry about deleting the post, this is a valid question. And just fyi, the NOE RG molds heat nicely if you open the sprue plate and balance them on their front. At least this is what I understand, I don't own one, yet.

Beagle333
09-01-2015, 10:39 PM
You could make a cheap-n-easy mold oven. Mine has a thermocouple for PID control, but you don't have to have that. You can just use the coffee can and hot plate. You can get as fancy as you want, with a handle or knob, mounted BBQ thermometers and other niceties. :cool:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/PID/Moldoven1_zpsa4ea8bcb.jpg

sfcairborne
09-01-2015, 11:29 PM
I hadnt thought about that

sfcairborne
09-01-2015, 11:34 PM
this is why I love this site, thanks gents

osteodoc08
09-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Get a solid element (flat) hotplate if given the option, not the swirly electric range type. More even heating and easier to balance the mold on. I'm stubborn and continue to use my swirly one that hasnt died yet, but will get a flat solid element type when I come across one for near free.

sfcairborne
09-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Thank you gents, got my solid face hot plate last night

40-82 hiker
09-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Get a solid element (flat) hotplate if given the option, not the swirly electric range type. More even heating and easier to balance the mold on. I'm stubborn and continue to use my swirly one that hasnt died yet, but will get a flat solid element type when I come across one for near free.

Hey Doc! I'm with you on keeping my swirly hotplate 'till it gives it up. It's challenging to keep the mold balanced on two or three wires, at an angle, and not tipping due to the odd CG due to the handles. Oh, and hoping there are no earth tremors to disrupt the fine balancing act. I'm not sure what I would do without having this challenge while casting. This is just too much fun! ??

40-82 hiker
09-03-2015, 10:24 AM
You could make a cheap-n-easy mold oven. Mine has a thermocouple for PID control, but you don't have to have that. You can just use the coffee can and hot plate. You can get as fancy as you want, with a handle or knob, mounted BBQ thermometers and other niceties. :cool:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/PID/Moldoven1_zpsa4ea8bcb.jpg

Thanks to the OP. Otherwise I would not have seen Beagle's oven. I MIGHT have thought of the inverted can sometime in the next 20 years. [smilie=l: Thanks Beagle!

sfcairborne
09-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Yes that mood oven is way cool, and I've got a PID, I can use for it

stubert
09-03-2015, 11:07 AM
I took a plywood circular saw blade and ground off the teeth, Now I have a solid surface to put my mold on.

osteodoc08
09-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Hey Doc! I'm with you on keeping my swirly hotplate 'till it gives it up. It's challenging to keep the mold balanced on two or three wires, at an angle, and not tipping due to the odd CG due to the handles. Oh, and hoping there are no earth tremors to disrupt the fine balancing act. I'm not sure what I would do without having this challenge while casting. This is just too much fun! ??

How true!

Its even more fun when there are two molds getting the balancing act