PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive bullet sealer

ole 5 hole group
09-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Looking for a little technical advice from anyone possessing knowledge of such matters.

I have in my possession a 500ml bottle of Permabond A1062 UV Anaerobic Adhesive Bullet Sealer Wicking Grade. Looking at Permabond's web site it says this product has a shelf life of 1-year. I know for a fact the individual who gave it to me has had it for at least 4 years, probably 5 years - it has been stored indoors in an air-conditioned room without sunlight and has never been opened.

I called Permabond and was advised not to use the sealant, as it wouldn't be any good that long past expiration date.

My question to them was how long would it have been setting on a shelf before shipped to a seller and then to a customer - they basically avoided the question.

I've never used a sealant on reloaded ammunition but since this was free I thought I might give it a go but this product is some German technology for NATO grade ammunition and uses words that I'm not familiar with, so I though I'd try and tap into someone's knowledge bank to see if this sealer is safe and effective to use 4 years after the expiration date or if I should just properly dispose of it. There is not a date what-so-ever on the bottle that indicates the date of manufacture or expiration date - just a Batch # and that would only apply to the satellite office that sold it, as to looking anything up and my friend hasn't a clue as to who sold it to him - ordered it from Permabond off the internet - I think he paid like $90.00 for this sealant.

Thanks in advance for any shared knowledge on this product.

44man
09-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Hard to say, I got so much free stuff from the airlines that had expiration dates it was crazy. I am still using most after 17 years. If it sets up it is still good.
Don't know why you want to seal bullets though unless you are a Navy Seal.
I can picture you rising out of a lake to shoot deer! :bigsmyl2:

35remington
09-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Given that sealing ammo is generally wasted effort I'd suggest watching sports or making more ammo instead. This is using far more mental horsepower than it deserves.

Mal Paso
09-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Is it still liquid? Sounds like a wicking grade CA like Loctite for assembled fasteners. Try it on a clean assembled nut and bolt then take them apart the next day to see how it set up.

Did a little research and Permabond is a big manufacturer cyanoacrylate. They say CA is good for a year sealed but moisture is the real enemy not time. I've used sealed Loctite products long after that. Once opened store in a container with silica gel to make it last longer. Going "bad" seems to be the glue setting up.

ole 5 hole group
09-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Is it still liquid? Sounds like a wicking grade CA like Loctite for assembled fasteners. Try it on a clean assembled nut and bolt then take them apart the next day to see how it set up.

Did a little research and Permabond is a big manufacturer cyanoacrylate. They say CA is good for a year sealed but moisture is the real enemy not time. I've used sealed Loctite products long after that. Once opened store in a container with silica gel to make it last longer. Going "bad" seems to be the glue setting up.

http://www.permabond.com/assets/uploads/files/MKT_Munitions_rev2.pdf Yes, it is in liquid state and when shaken feels like it is all liquid with no solids/lumps. From my telephone calls and talking to different people knowing a little about chemistry - Seems like maybe the ingredients can loose their effectiveness (for lack of a better description) and form modified properties that in no way resemble the original product. Only listed ingredients are Methacrylate Esters and Cumene Hydroperoxide (CAS # 80-15-9) and when looking those up, I get a feeling that Hitler is trying to get a little revenge with this cocktail - but I still want to give it a go if the stuff is still good. Opening it up and putting it on aluminum foil or can might be an option but then, I'm not sure what that will prove except that it will spread and cure?

One would think if it had a true shelf life that it would state that on the bottle and give an expiration date but then I guess if one wanted to purchase that product they should know what the hell they are purchasing???

44man - every-time I've went into water with a firearm is either when we flipped a canoe or swamped a duck boat and I really didn't enjoy those experiences but I was able to dive down and recover the firearms - everything else like ammo, basic tools and the lunch were offered up to the Water Gods.

35 Rem - I was able to load 2,150 cartridges yesterday - all 45 ACP on a LnL progressive and that was an all day job. I meant to load the other 350+ rounds today but just never got around to it - maybe tomorrow. According to the War Department, I do waste a lot of time on what I enjoy but that's been my MO all my life - now, sealing bullets with a tooth pick just might push me over the top, but I'm game at this point.

Should have at least one mad chemist on this forum?

bedbugbilly
09-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Sooooo . . . . if they are claiming it has a "shelf life" . . . then there certainly must be an expiration date on the container somewhere . . . wouldn't you think? How is it any different than anything else that has a "shelf life"? Food, medicines, etc. It may not fall under the FDA but it seems to me that it would be a good question to ask them?

CHeatermk3
09-03-2015, 12:44 AM
Either it works or it don't...try it on one round and see.

Mal Paso
09-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Fancy Super Glue. Similar to wicking Loctite. Try on a clean nut and bolt. Check resistance to disassembly and residue the next day. If it sets you should be good. Once you open it keep it from moisture.