PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli 1886 Sporting in 45/70 - help pls?

bigbore52
09-01-2015, 02:01 AM
Just a question to any knowledgeable folk out there who will probably know......

Recently purchased the latest Pedersoli 1886 Sporting based on the Browning Model in 45/70 - lovely gun and shoots well so far with the few factory rounds I have put through it. Question is that I intend to work up cast loads etc but plan on chamber casting it first and at same time will thoroughly strip it down to clean etc.....that's not a problem - but being unfamiliar with tube magazines, especially this one which holds 7 rounds, am a tad wary of the spring mechanism and equally how it's fixed to the barrel and the magazine entry. So before I have a go at it, thought I'd check with more knowledgeable folk first

The printed manual that came with it details the basics for the older 1886/71 model which is a 5 shot - but it's schematics only and pretty basic - now I am assuming it's quite similar to this aside from the shorter tube/spring? - but before I have a go at stripping it, thought I'd see if there's a right and a wrong way to go about these things.....

There's a vid on youtube on how to strip the action which is pretty straight forward but nothing on the magazine itself (again it's on the 1886/71 model)

So any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated please before I try....thanks:?

pietro
09-02-2015, 11:33 AM

It's a one sixpack chore, to R&R the magazine tube. . :bigsmyl2:

1) Ensure first that the rifle's unloaded. . [smilie=l:

2) Remove the small vertical screw that secures the magazine end cap to the magazine tube (careful, the cap's under spring pressure from the magazine spring) to remove the spring & follower (tip the rifle's muzzle "down" & slide them out).

3) Remove the screw(s) that secure the barrel band or forend cap to the assembly.

4) Check & remove any crosspin (if applicable), in the forward magazine tube and/or magazine hanger, which secures the magazine tube from moving forward under recoil.

5) Withdraw the magazine tube forward from it's installed position. (The wooden forend will be free for removal or a surprise drop ;) )

Re-assemble in reverse order :shock: - taking care to note any retainer crosspin notches in the tube & keeping them in the correct position to accept the retainer pins/screws via rotating the tube until all line up correctly.

For re-installing the magazine spring (etc) into the re-installed magazine tube, I would recommend securing the rifle in a position that points the muzzle "up" - which allows you to simply drop in the follower (1st), followed be the un-compressed magazine spring.

I keep a small drift pin in one hand while I compress the spring within the magazine tube via placing the tube end cap/plug on the free end of the spring, then pushing/compressing the spring down into the tube while the other hand cups the exposed portion of the spring to keep it aligned with the tube it's entering.

Inserting the tip of the drift pin through the end cap hole in the tube, between spring coils as you go along will help retain the portion of the spring that you've just compresses, while more of the spring free end can be compressed. . :veryconfu

Once the spring's compressed enough to seat the end cap, I then use the tip of the small drift pin through the screw hole in the magazine tube AND the screw hole in the end cap/plug to align them for accepting the retainer screw.

:guntootsmiley::guntootsmiley::2_high5:

bigbore52
09-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Thankyou Pietro - appreciate the effort you went with the instructions.....grateful :)

pietro
09-05-2015, 10:53 AM

You're entirely welcome, Lee - and thanks for the heads-up about Pedersoli also threading the rear end of the tube, for retention (like a later .454 Rossi M-92).