PDA

View Full Version : Argentina .43 Spanish Need Some Help

jonp
08-31-2015, 06:31 PM
I recently got a 43 Spanish and need some help on the loading. It is a Remington Rolling from Argentina.

I read a number of threads online including here on how it's pretty impossible to reform brass so just bite the boolit and buy some actual 43 Spanish brass so that is the direction I'm going there although I read the easiest to try was fireforming 43 Mauser brass but that is probably as hard to find as 43 Spanish

The question is on the boolit and powder. I have not slugged it yet but the general consensus is that it will slug .43-.44 with mid-43's being the most common. I read an interesting comment from Bullshop on using a .451 pistol GC, crimping on the gas check and loading over 12gr of Unique with cream of wheat for a nice target load which sounds like the loading using a 357 boolit in my 35 Whelen. The .451, which I have a mold for, sounds kinda big to me but I do have a 300gr GC 45 Colt boolit which would work but it seems to me that considering the .43 a heavy 300gr .44 would be better, cast dead soft.

As for the powder, I will try black powder but am wondering if some surplus W860 would work considering how slow it is. If I filled the case then it probably would not burn all the powder up and the pressure should be fine for the Rolling Block. I read another thread that says I can sub in trapdoor loads of 45-70 for use. The Cartridges of The World says 40gr of 3031 under a 387gr lead would give about 1300fps which is fine by me but I dont have a 387gr boolit.

I'm interested in getting started and the pistol boolit target loads sound like a good place to start to me.

Any idea's on what I have said or any other idea's on this rifle please. Information is widespread but is itself widespread as in all over the place.

labradigger1
08-31-2015, 08:26 PM
Nice cartridge. I've been loading my no. 1 RB for only a few weeks but here is what I've been using.
Jamison 43 Spanish brass.
Fire form to the exact actual chamber.
Win LR primers
74 grains by weight of goex 2f trickled through a 24" piece of ridged copper supply line with a copper funnel soldered on top.
Card wad over power
TC bore butter lube cookie 1/8" thick
Lyman 439186 cast from 20:1 lead
Unsized and pan lubed with same TC bore butter.
Slightly crimped in top groove.
I only neck size for next loadings.

The 43 Spanish round dwarfs my 45-70's.
I'm having a blast with it except for the cleaning afterwards. The people who complain about how dirty unique is prolly don't shoot bpcr. Lots of hot soapy water.
I want to try some low pressure smokeless rounds soon if I can find any load data.
Mine is the black powder frame.
Oh yea, forget about clean shiny brass ever again in bpcr.
Enjoy! Lab

Guesser
08-31-2015, 10:45 PM
I neck size mine in a 44 Magnum carbide sizing die, them an old Lyman "M" die. I use American Pioneer 2Fg to the base of the bullet and then a card wad over the powder. I seat my bullet out so that it is only just shy of the shoulder/neck curve. Seems to work for me, I use SPG loob and loob all grooves, even those remaining outside the neck. Long throat in mine, beautiful bore and strong rifling; great fun!!!