PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Accessories - Part 1 of 2 (American Rifleman, Aug 1913)

ohland
08-30-2015, 07:58 PM
American Rifleman, vol 54, No. 19, Aug 17, 1913 pages 371-371

https://books.google.com/books?id=XpMwAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:4_nJVSo-51oC&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDAQ6AEwBDgKahUKEwjv4KTkgNLHAhVEjQ0KHVIgD54#v =onepage&q&f=false

Shooting Accessories (Part 1 of 2)
BY Edward C. Crossman.

ONCE upon a time I happened to be entangled in a militia prize shooting match at 800 yards. When my turn came I proceeded to stick into the ground the forward half of a pair of telescope holders. Immediately there went up from two up-to-date and highly intelligent militiamen behind me a yell of horror.

“Look at that feller," said the yell, “is he allowed to rest his rifle on that thing while he's a shootin’?"

By the time the highly intelligent lieutenant in charge of that range arrived I had the scope set up.

“Vi/hat are you doing with that scope there?" he snarled. I told him. “You take that thing down and be quick about it," he ordered, "I'll do all the spottin’s that's to be done on this range; think a soldier could pack a blan-kety-blank telescope into battle, huh?” Being of a cantankerous turn of mind I did not take down the scope, but sought an officer who had been longer away from the tall and uncut—-and the scope stayed put.

This is perhaps an exaggerated example of the genus militiaman but it is unhappily a type all too common among those who know nothing of the shooting game—and think they do.

As recently as the California State shoot of 1911 I was politely ordered to cease using my micrometer sight adjuster at the thousand yard stage, because, forsooth, another competitor had been made to give over his own at the 600-yard range, and he in turn had been deprived of its aid because some of the other men didn't have “mikes,” and it would not be fair for the intelligent man to provide himself with such refinements and use them. That is, the level of the bonehead or the uninstructed “rifleman?" was the level above which no man must climb.

It is perhaps this disposition on the part of too many militiamen who form the bulk of our military rifle shooting population that is responsible for the paucity of the shooting refinements that so delight the heart of the English rifleman. In the West, at least, the use of the first essentials to good long range shooting is the exception, not the rule. Some of this is doubtless due to the fact that unless the officers in charge are interested in the game, they actually do not know that such things exist and should be used. I purpose in this screed merely to list the forms of shooting refinements that are available, and those I have found best through a little experience in both club and militia rifle shooting.

Practically all of our shooting accessories came from the English riflemen originally, and the bulk of the articles still come across the salt water in ships.

I know where to get the articles I list as of English make, but I refuse to give the names of the makers as long as such men as P. J. O’Hare, John Hessian, and Conroy are going to the trouble of importing them, paying the duty and freight and adding merely a fair profit. It’s only fair to buy from them when we need the stuff. I list the various articles in about their order of importance to the rifleman and put each under a separate heading in the hopes of making the article of some value as a reference in case of need.

TELESCOPES.

The finest telescopes are the prismatic glasses, such as the Warner & Swasey and the Perplex, giving great power, small bulk and adequate light for the powers offered, an important consideration. These instruments cost from $80 to $100 and are therefore beyond the reach of most individual riflemen. For State or service teams, where the said $100 represents merely a very small nick made in an appropriation, these glasses are to be chosen above all others.

In the direct vision glass, meaning the ordinary terrestrial telescope minus prisms or other frills, power should not run over thirty unless the object glass is 2 ½ inches in diameter or more. In my own case I have been using for the past two years an Aitchison glass made by a London firm, with convertible powers from 25 up to 40, the changes made merely by pulling out the last draw to the various figures marked on it. The object glass is 2 ¼ inches in the clear.

Experience has shown time and again that on dark, overcast days, or on hazy mornings, the 40 power is nearly useless through deficient light, and the target could be seen more plainly with the 30 or 25 power, even though the magnification were less. With a three-inch object glass the 40 power would be all right, provided the field took in all you desired to see - and the 40 power field with the ordinary scope is very much smaller than that of 30 power.

As a general thing a telescope of 30 or 33 power such as the Bardou, is the best for all-around range work. The instruments with convertible powers such as the Lordbury and Aitchison are still better, but at that, the 30 will usually be the chosen power day in and day out.

Be not deceived on the subject of seeing bullet holes with a telescope. It is difficult to see a .30 caliber bullet hole at 300 yards with the forty power glass regardless of theory, and seeing them at still longer ranges is usually a pleasant pipe dream, especially if they strike in the black.

It is poor economy to get a shoddy glass, and it may prove a terrific strain on the eyes with some of the cheap color-fringed affairs. Such glasses as Bardou, Aitchison, Lordbury and Voightlaender are standard and may be relied on.

It is perhaps well to remind you that to read mirage distinctly you should carefully focus the glass on the target, and then by gently turning the focussing section draw it still further out until the paper is just out of focus, and the mirage begins to flicker along the edge of the bull on the leeward side, or to run along the top and bottom edges of the target. By careful adjusting, mirage can be read even on chilly days.

A telescope on the range without some way to hold it convenient to your eyes is as good as no telescope. Get you, therefore, a telescope holder—and select with care. A poor one is an exasperation. It is hard to adjust, does not stay put and usually wabbles so it furnishes a mirage all its own.

The ‘best one I have seen is the Windsor, patented by an Englishman. I own three various sorts and have used four other designs-—mostly poor ones.

If your choice runs in the direction of field glasses, not good for mirage reading, but very handy for general use in picking up spotting discs and watching the general performance on other targets, then remember that the prismatic glass has a long lead over the old type, and that eight power is enough for any man.

There are a number of good ones on the market. In my own experience I would list them about like this:

Goertz Pagor, weight 9 ounces, height 3 ¼ inches, power 8. King-Busch, dimensions about those of the Pagor. Warner & Swasey, larger and heavier, but equally excellent in workmanship. There are a number of other good glasses, and also some very much larger, giving more light for the same power, but it is -well to keep in mind the splendid compactness of the Pagor or the King-Busch that will let the glass slip into a shirt pocket, and yet let you see anything the other fellow can see, save in the first half hour and the last half hour of the day. There is no occasion for paying more than about $40 for as fine a glass as you could desire, although some of them bring around $60.

MICROMETERS.

Here, for a wonder the cheapest article is the best—or at least fully as good as the more expensive ones. I have used the heavy brass or German silver affair of British make; the Stevens-Pope, and the little, "ornery," inexpensive Ideal, costing but $1.50. The Ideal is the one for me at the end of a mike experience running back into Krag days. The British article usually shows lost motion, sometimes as much as a half-degree, equal to five inches at a thousand yards. The Stevens Pope is costly and no better than the Ideal. It has to snap on the sight to make the sight change—can not be left on under the rules, and if it is left on, sometimes removes itself to a distance of about ten feet from the recoil of the rifle.

With the Ideal you make your change on the mike while it is off the rifle and handy to work upon, then you slap it into the space between slide and the bar across the standards, chuck the slide up against it, tighten the set screw and yank off the mike. You don't have to perform any contortion stunts trying to hold a heavy rifle and read a micrometer upon it at the same time.

In using a micrometer of any sort on the New Springfield watch this one point. There is usually lost motion or play between the drift slide, the small plate that has the peep bored in it, and the slide itself. The drift slide has a small pin at the top that slips into a hole in the slide itself. It does not fit tightly, and usually you can loose the thumb screw and make a small change in the slide without budging the drift slide which carries your peep and is the part you really want to move.

With my Stevens-Pope mike I could hitch it to the slide and turn the mike a full degree without budging the drift slide. That is, I had actually made no change in elevation although the mike said I had.

Therefore, to get around this, using the Ideal micrometer, always make the change in the same manner, taking out the lost motion the same every time. In my case I set the mike, cast loose the slide, put in the mike, and then always bring the slide up from below against the mike again. Try this, and you'll see what is meant.

Also in setting your micrometer for your first shot be careful that it is set correctly. Read it twice, and then check the position of the sight slide by the reading in yards. I have seen at least a score of misses from mis-set micrometers, fellows setting to 45 instead of 75, etc. It is carelessness, but seemingly very common carelessness. It is well to note that the Ideal micrometer cuts half in two with its sleeve the number indicating tens of degrees. For instance, set at 40, the sleeve cuts half of the four off. Don't set it this way the first time, and then fire on that range the next time with the “4" fully in sight. Your mike setting is then but 35, not 40, and your shot—at 500 yards—strikes two feet low or into a very low three. The same sort of mistake at 1,000 puts the victim off the target, and he may or may not find the trouble before his first record shot.

The owner of the tiny Ideal mike will do well to tie to it around the base at the figure “10," a thin, soft leather thong, a foot long or so. This he can tie into a loop to slip over his wrist, but its chief value is to keep the midget from crawling off and losing itself. Even in sand or grass some part of the thong sticks up, and it goes far in stopping the wandering habit of the small piece of steel.

ohland
08-30-2015, 07:59 PM
American Rifleman, vol 54, No. 20, Aug 14, 1913 pages 394-395

https://books.google.com/books?id=XpMwAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:4_nJVSo-51oC&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDAQ6AEwBDgKahUKEwjv4KTkgNLHAhVEjQ0KHVIgD54#v =onepage&q&f=false

Shooting Accessories (Part 2 of 2)
BY Edward C. Crossman.

SCOREBOOK.

There is not a perfect scorebook on the market, although there are a number of good ones. The Bull's-eye is probably ahead of any made, in its loose-leaf form, -but it could be much improved ‘by the addition of, first, a column for “call," in which one can plot his hold to indicate when a wild shot is the fault of his holding, and second a column for elevation in yards to back up the elevation in minutes kept by the micrometer user. This is a life-saver if the mike is lost or left at home, but a column of micrometer elevations, not backed up by corresponding yard figures, is a sad sight to the man who has come away without the little sight-setting instrument. This serves also as a check on correct mike setting. If he finds from an old score that his setting for 1,000 yards is 71 or 1,000, he is not likely to start off with 55 minutes if he glances at his leaf as he sets the sight, to see that the sight is at 1,000.

Also the Bull's-eye would -be better off with an index, like the old Davidson, the best scorebook ever published. This is a digest of all the scores fired at a certain range, light, weather, ammunition, rifle, etc., and enables the user to turn immediately to a score on a day like the one on which he is to fire, or to get his elevation directly from the index if he cares for no further dope.

SHOOTING CASES.

The ready-made British pattern of cases are nice things and most fascinating in their neat compartments and multum-in-parvo arrangement. They remind you of the case the old family doctor used to trot out when he dug up a handful of white pills to be given you four times a day. A still more satisfactory arrangement is a good quality cow-hide case made on the lines of the suit-case, but say 11 x 18 inches long and wide. In the lid of this can be fitted a piece of thin, soft wood or fibre and various straps or clips fastened to the fibre for the reception of the junk necessary to your happiness in rifle shooting. The advantage this has over the British cases is that it is large enough to hold the scope, holder, plenty of ammunition, and all the junk you want to pack around with you, and it does not cost any more than the other sort, made up to some other fellow's ideas which may not be yours. A good quality case, minus the fibre, need set you back but $5.00 and it is good for anything from a rifle shoot to a picnic.

CLEANING MATERIAL.

It is hard to -beat a good one-quarter-inch steel rod, fitted with a revolving handle on the lines of the fancy ball-bearing rods made by various factories. The handle shaped like the handle of a chisel is better than any flat disc or knob. If it is made with two tips, one slotted and the other jagged, it is still better. The threaded end should take the .22 bushing furnished with the Marble .30 rod, or else be cut to screw into the hollow end of the British steel wire brush, a still better cleaner for the service rifle. With this steel affair you can rip out inceptive rust and keep down metal fouling. Sounds hard on the rifle, but by the time it has done any damage, the erosion will have done far more and the barrel be ready for retirement.

Ready cut cleaning patches of flannel, correct for the service rifle, can be bought almost anywhere at a price about 35 cents per 1,200 patches, postpaid about 50 cents.

Needless to say, the advertised oils are not fit for use in the service rifle, however well they may work on sewing machines. A good nitro cleaner is none too thorough. Such mixtures as Hoppe No. 9, Marble Nitro Oil or Ideal Solvent are needed. Thorough swabbing with concentrated ammonia before any oil goes into the bore saves subsequent sweating out, but the barrel must be wiped entirely dry before it is doped with the nitro solvent following the ammonia.

There are various ways of blacking the sights. One is a match, which is just a bit better than nothing. The better way is to fill a small tin box, like these hinged-top, shaving-soap boxes with crumbled camphor and burn incense therewith to the rifle before you take it to the firing line. A candle works well enough, while for fixed quarters a bottle of turps with a wick through the cork and an air hole at one side would be cheap, handy, and give a very dead black. Liquid sight black is often a nuisance in that it blots out the figures on the leaf and can not easily be removed. It is about the only thing that will work in a high wind. Just as a hint, the blackest part of a flame is the tip, not down where things are hot and fiery.

To back up the sight black there should be a good rear sight cover, capable of slipping on the sight without disturbing the slide adjustment. This saves unwitting riflemen who pick up your rifle by the well-blacked rear sight, from being condemned in thought at least to an over-heated, over-crowded purgatory.

A pair of the patent ear protectors for protection against the rousing roar of the service rifle should be in the kit.

A soft, thin glove for the left hand makes for greater comfort and allows the hand to be jammed up into the upper sling swivel without feeling the pressure of the angle.

Pads for the elbows are nearly a necessity for those who follow Surprise Fire in the prone position, or who are to shoot the new Firing Regulation course next year, where quick flopping is called for in some parts of the programme. They can be secured ready-made, or if you prefer the home-made article, get two pieces of good stout sheep skin with the wool still on, size about 7 x 10, and have them sewed, wool side in, to the shooting shirt where your elbow hits as you drop. It is well to baste them until you are certain that they are on the right spots.

Other small accessories for the case should be a small can of resin for use during skirmish or rapid fire, or for the safety in Surprise Fire; small can of mixed mobilelubricant and Atcheson Graphite for the bullets; one of the old-fashioned, leather, 20-round cartridge boxes in which to put enough greased cartridges for a score; can of matches in the proportion of ten for the “borrowers," to every one for yourself, and the various small tools that come in so handy. These should include a Government screw driver, small pincers, and a small jewelers punch or drift, small enough to drive out even the small pin of the front sight blade. Having fitted up the case, get firmly in your mind the fact that at every rifle shoot, large or small, there will be men who chronically attend shoots with the following full equipment:

One rifle, minus front sight cover; one cartridge belt. The things they lack they depend upon borrowing, and they'll do it so long as there are suckers to lend things to them.

SHOOTING GLASSES.

Regardless of strength of eyes the man who does without glasses is handicapping himself. I have had men tell me, somewhat loftily, that they didn’t need glasses; that they had strong eyes. Usually their scores testified to the fact that if they did have strong ones, they were looking some place other than at the target.

A pair of English glasses, imported two years ago, persuaded me that, cheap and poorly made as they were, the greenish-yellow Fieuzal shade was ahead of the amber. Since then a progressive American who has practically cornered the outdoor glass market, has evolved two new shades superior even to the Fieuzal. One he calls by the unholy name of Akapos, the still newer shade, unobtainable until the fall, Riflelike Akapos.

The latter is the most wonderful shade I have ever gazed through, in which Lieut. Whelen agrees most heartily. As a rule the greenish yellow glass offers no particular help on dark, over-cast days, at least not the aid given on the glary, bright ones. This new shade, however, actually seems to possess illuminative powers, and it is far more beneficial on dark days than the old amber was even on bright ones. It is simply uncanny, and even its maker is astonished at this peculiar “lighting" effect on days when the target is hard to see. I understand that Lieut. Whelen’s Connecticut State Team is to be fitted with the new shade, but unfortunately the glass is too hard to obtain to be on sale generally for some time to come. When it does come, it will surely drive out every other sort of glass for shooting purposes.

In general, lenses of toric shape are ahead of the flat type for shooting and all outdoor purposes. The eye looks through the glass at the same angle regardless of where it is turned, and the field of view is far larger. In the case of glasses in which a correction is ground, the toric is nearly essential as the line of sight in the prone position passes through the lens far up in the “eleven o’clock" corner.

F. W. King, of Cleveland, is the greatest shooting-glass specialist in the country for all-round shooting and outdoor equipment. F. H. Edmonds, of Washington, D. C., is an optician who has fitted many of the successful service teams with specially ground glasses to their prescriptions, and knows probably better than any other man the peculiar needs of the rifleman in glass fitting when an Rx is to be put into the lens.

In a non-corrected shooting-glass for military shooting, the lens before the shooting eye is enough unless the glass is needed to ease the eyes as well sa to give sharp definition of the target. If the left lens is out of the frame, and the upper side of the circle is cut off, the shooter can use the telescope with far more joy. The eye minus the lens is pushed up to the tube, getting the full light pencil, and Seeing the full field, while with a lens before it the eye is held away from the scope and the field is apparently cut about in half.

There are a number of men about the country making good scores without any shooting aids of the sort described, but usually as they gain in skill they seek every aid to making still higher scores. Generally lofty contempt for the tools of the true rifleman is the blown-in-the-bottle brand of the ignoramus.