PDA

View Full Version : Are Magma molds good quality?

zanemoseley
08-30-2015, 07:39 PM
I tried out some 180 grain SWC .45 bullets a friend had bought (loaded with WST powder) and was really amazed how much less recoil they had compared to my RCBS 200 SWC boolits. Magma has a 180 grain SWC flat base mold. It seems pretty fairly priced for a semi custom mold, under $100 and will fit my RCBS handles. They run about $50-60 less than a comparable iron mold from Accuratemolds.com. I hope they have them in stock, I'll be calling tomorrow. I would like to get the mold and use the boolits in my next bullseye match on the 20th.

AbluquerqueBullet,LLC
08-30-2015, 08:13 PM
From every brand I have tried Magma was by far the best molds. they will outlast most other molds as well.

HATCH
08-31-2015, 02:19 PM
I use mostly Magma molds. I would say their quality is on par with any of the best made molds out there.

zanemoseley
08-31-2015, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the input, I ordered the 180 SWC bevel base, they were out of stock on the flat base, at my skill level I'll never realize the accuracy of a flat base anyway. It will be easier loading anyway, no half moon shavings of lead.

MOA
09-18-2015, 01:42 PM
I love their molds, great quality alloy blocks, super attention to detail in the cavity.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab136/nitroexpress450400/index_zps10222c80.jpg:castmine: (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/nitroexpress450400/media/index_zps10222c80.jpg.html)

zanemoseley
09-19-2015, 09:04 AM
I casted with my new Magma mold this week and love it. I thought I wouldn't like the sprue plate as much but turns out its great. They way it has a "wing" on both sides of the mold make it super easy, I can just grab it by hand and twist (with gloves of course) and don't have to beat on it with a mallet. The bullets dropped pretty easy, no knocking involved.

I also like how the sprue plate has a tensioner. My RCBS mold just had the plate bolted on with a set screw but it has a tendency from going too tight to too loose. In the few hundred I cast with the Magma mold the sprue plate was tensioned perfectly.

MOA
09-19-2015, 11:27 AM
zanemoseley,

You can call Eric at Magma and have him send you some additional tension bolts, springs and the nut and replace your other mold sprue plate setups. I got four or five extra setup replacements for my molds and I can also use them for any new molds I happen to acquire for my casting sessions. :drinks: