PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Make Pickled Okra? 1 Habanero or 2?

DougGuy
08-30-2015, 12:50 PM
I love that "Talk O' Texas" pickled okra hot variety, and I was given a huge bag of fresh okra yesterday. I will definitely chop and freeze some of it but there are 5 empty canning jars in there that are just begging for some hot pickled okra spears to fill them up. So, do I use 1 habanero or 2 per jar? Garlic too? Any other spices like rosemary or thyme?

And, do I need to do anything to them to keep them from being slimy after they are canned?

duke76
08-31-2015, 06:11 PM
I have always used mrs wages hot pickle mix and they have always turned out excellent

duke76
08-31-2015, 06:12 PM
Oh and I always add some calcium chloride with it to keep them crunchy, it can be found in the canning section

duke76
08-31-2015, 06:15 PM
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Mrs.-Wages-Quick-Process-Hot-Spicy-Pickle-Mix/0000000073414?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah&gclid=CK-k64Ks1McCFZKDaQodwfUC1Q

http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/product.jsp?productId=25175&parentCategoryId=8&categoryId=116&subCategoryId=2875&type=product&cid=gooshop&source=google_pla&9gtype=%7Bifsearch:search%7D%7Bifcontent:content%7 D&9gkw=%7Bkeyword%7D&9gad=%7Bcreative%7D.1&9gpla=%7Bplacement%7D&gclid=CKbg2KSs1McCFdgPgQod2JIHqg

the first link is the spicy pickle mix and the second link is the pickle crisp (calcium chloride)

fryboy
08-31-2015, 07:09 PM
How hot ya like it ? More heat more pepper even more than two if you desire [shrugz]
My main recipe calls for 50/50 cider vinegar/water with 1 tablespoon of salt per cup of liquid ,while the canner and the brine is warming up I get the okra ready that I have already washed and dried, leave a semi long stem for a handle;) a few thin knife pricks so the brine will go inside the pod ,once the jars are sterilized ( and the lids are soaking in simmering water ) add to the bottom of the jar your desired spices ,I use a bit of fresh or frozen dill tho dill seeds from the store will work around a tablespoon per pint,a bit of peppercorn, 3-15 cloves of garlic ( mmmm garlic) either sliced or slightly crushed,a minimum of a teaspoon of mustard seeds,perhaps 2-4 each of whole allspice and coriander,half the hot peppers desired ,a small sprinkle of smoked paprika and crushed red pepper ,you can mix all the above up anyway you desire but this is what I get begged for the most,then start stuffing the okra in ,I make the first layer all stem down just a lil loose I then add the rest of the pepper and another sprinkle of dill, then next layer goes in point down until I can't squeeze another in ,leave about a 1/2" of headspace and then fill with boiling brine,remove air bubbles and use a tablespoon to push the okra that wants to pop up back down,double check headspace adjust as required ,wipe rim with a paper towel dampened in vinegar ,add lid screw down and water bath for 10 minutes,wait about a week to open ( or not lolz ) best served chilled
I agree that wage's spicy pickle mix works great ! Especially if you add some extra garlic ;)

edit to add ... use the smallest tenderest ones for the pickles , chop the rest up

waksupi
08-31-2015, 07:17 PM
I do an alum soak to keep pickles crunchy.

DougGuy
09-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Well, big disappointment the okra turned out to be, I guess it was the end of the season, and it was so tough I could barely cut it with a sharp knife, so I fried a couple handfuls of it and couldn't eat it. The middle was okay but the outsides were real fibery and tough. I let it go into the composter so I will have to try for pickles next year.

NavyVet1959
09-01-2015, 10:26 PM
I don't like okra, but I would say go with more Habanero. I usually add a couple of them to the large far of Vlasic pickled jalapenos that I buy from Wal-mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vlasic-Hot-Jalapeno-Slices-1-Ct/10449319

Probably the best commercial pickled jalapenoes that I've encountered. Nice and crisp.

1johnlb
09-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Kosher salt, garlic, and hot pepper to suit. Pods all less ran 3 ~ 4 inches cover with vinegar and can them. No need to put them up they want be there long enough.

duke76
09-02-2015, 08:35 AM
you have to pick the okra for pickling when they are about 2 to 3 inches long or they get tough, you have to pick them every day or they get to big.